Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Please tell me about life in Scottish Borders

Please tell me about life in Scottish Borders

Old May 7th 2016, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute
Question Please tell me about life in Scottish Borders

Hello,

I've long been perusing ads for rentals in the Scottish Borders and have been so impressed with how beautiful the homes look as well as the surrounding land in the pictures. But I wonder if it's a bit too rural. What is there to do there socially, how about shopping, healthcare, weather and all that?

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of this area? I'm really interested...

Thanks in advance.
Old May 7th 2016, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please tell me about life in Scottish Borders

Wow. 125 views and no replies. It must be so remote that no one on BE has a clue what it's like there.

Last edited by Downton Gabby; May 7th 2016 at 11:01 pm.
Old May 8th 2016, 12:44 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Wow. 125 views and no replies. It must be so remote that no one on BE has a clue what it's like there.
Could be! People have a look at posts for all sorts of reasons: there might be something in it that they can help with, they have an interest in the subject matter, or they're just lollygagging around on their computer and having a sticky beak. Rest assured that if anyone reading your post can help with your queries, they will.
Old May 8th 2016, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

My sister lives in the North of Scotland.. She lives in Elgin. Its a lovely city. Great transportation. Seems like there are plenty of Doctors in the area and a hospital also in Elgin, Dr Grey's hospital.. My sister mentioned sometimes for more complicated procedures you are referred to Aberdeen. I have visited her and really like it there. Not sure about rental and housing but you could always check out Rightmove.com
Old May 8th 2016, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

What part of the borders are you looking at?

Gretna Green has a discount shopping center which is pretty good, but not really for day to day shopping unless clothes shopping is high on your agenda. Still only a couple of hours drive to Glasgow.

As with rural part's of Scotland, it is pretty but you will find it isolated and lack of major shopping centers and lack of social activities. My parents live in a small village between Glasgow and Edinburgh, and the main shopping strip the main supermarket is a small Tesco Express. The closet big supermarkets to them are around 30 mins drive. Not that far and traffic not really an issue especially outside of rush hour. Not sure how that would compare to the area of the borders you are looking at.

You do need a car in this area as no train station close and buses potentially run 1/hour.

Do you have a job to go to?

Weather, from what I have seen recently winters will not be that great. And due to the remoteness probably less resources allocated to clear the roads etc.
Healthcare, NHS still probably the best in the world. The lack of population in the area will probably help when visiting a doctor or dentist, but access to major treatment would more than likely mean travel to more populated areas to access the hospitals.
Old May 8th 2016, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

The Scottish Borders is a large area - what part are you looking at?
There is a new railway line from Edinburgh to Tweedbank.
Google "Borders railway".
I am not greatly familiar with life in the Scottish Borders but it seems to me that many of the towns are in a state of decline.
It depends what you want in life but living near the "central belt" gives easy access to all services while having rapid access to the countryside.
There are some nice towns along the new railway line.
The weather is generally wet in Scotland although today it is warm and sunny. The East coast is generally drier but cooler than the West.
Old May 8th 2016, 1:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I've long been perusing ads for rentals in the Scottish Borders and have been so impressed with how beautiful the homes look as well as the surrounding land in the pictures. But I wonder if it's a bit too rural. What is there to do there socially, how about shopping, healthcare, weather and all that?

Thanks in advance.
Are you familiar with the "Let's Move To" feature in the Guardian? There's one each week. Here's one on Jedburgh ..
Let’s move to Jedburgh, Roxburghshire | Money | The Guardian
Old May 8th 2016, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

You really have to be more specific! It's like saying what's the South of England like... Good or bad? If you let us know the areas we can give more info. I love the Borders and would move there next if able. Depends on where you work and how you wish to commute also. What are you looking for, how much will you spend on housing, do you have kids etc. etc.

Majority of the Borders is beautiful however, like everywhere there are some less salubrious area
Old May 8th 2016, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

If1 lives in the Borders. If she doesn't pop in shortly you might send her a pm. Good luck!
Old May 9th 2016, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live there now but I'm quite familiar with the Borders. As others have said, a lot depends on where you intend to be, the true Scottish Borders are on the east side. If commutable for Edinburgh the area will be more affluent and housing/rent more expensive but facilities will be higher levels too. The countryside is spectacular but is becoming quite industrialised, definitely more protected than the west coast though. You will need a car but the driving and roads are fine. It is a tourist area so employment can be very seasonal and with a high level of lower paid jobs. There's a lot of high tech science parks and research on the outskirts of Edinburgh so it depends on what work you do.
It's COLD in the winter but drier to the east than the west. There's still snow each winter though and icy cold winds. That's part of what creates the spectacular scenery though. In summer you have the Scottish midge, again not as bad over to the east than on the west.
I know someone who retired to a small farm with some land in Scotland and some in England, the neverendum and 'Independence or die' juggernaut worries her.

Last edited by Hazelnut; May 9th 2016 at 7:07 am.
Old May 9th 2016, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks in advance.
As others have said, it's a big area and depends what you want and where you'll be? Closer to Edinburgh you'll have more going on (higher rents though), but there aren't many big towns elsewhere and will employment be important? We all have different opinions/tastes and for some people it can't be rural enough. Would personally prefer Co Wicklow in the Republic if you want rural close to a capital. It also offers lower population density, better economy, milder weather, great scenery and just seems a bit more colourful. Ok, there you don't have NHS, but that's calculated in salaries.
Old May 10th 2016, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
As others have said, it's a big area and depends what you want and where you'll be? Closer to Edinburgh you'll have more going on (higher rents though), but there aren't many big towns elsewhere and will employment be important? We all have different opinions/tastes and for some people it can't be rural enough. Would personally prefer Co Wicklow in the Republic if you want rural close to a capital. It also offers lower population density, better economy, milder weather, great scenery and just seems a bit more colourful. Ok, there you don't have NHS, but that's calculated in salaries.
Hi Moses! Is there any way to PM you?
Old May 11th 2016, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Moses! Is there any way to PM you?
Should be possible now:-).
Old May 12th 2016, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The area runs from Berwickshire to Stranraer. Very diverse. Hawick is quite different from Kelso for example.

Often the term "The Borders" refers specifically to the eastern area and excludes Dumfries and Galloway.

Last edited by scot47; May 12th 2016 at 12:58 pm.
Old May 12th 2016, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in East Lothian, close to the eastern Borders region and would go back in a heartbeat! The Borders are beautiful, the landscape very different from other parts of the country, with rolling green fields. The new Borders railway will certainly invigorate the area, which has been economically depressed since the closure of many of the textile factories after the cashmere 'war' with the US a decade or two ago.
As an avid hillwalker, I have walked in the borders for literally days and seen only a couple of people. Yet, it's a quick drive to Edinburgh, which is a beautiful and compact capital city.
Winter can be harsh, the more rural you go, but snow never lasts long in the UK, so shouldn't really be an issue, unless you need to commute.

The other alternative to the Scottish Borders, is to go over the border to Northumberland, which is also beautiful. I also lived in Hexham for a short time and, had I not already purchased a house in East Lothian, would have stayed there instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.