Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Please Read And Help Me With Advice!!!

Wikiposts

Please Read And Help Me With Advice!!!

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 12:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Read And Help Me With Advice!!!

Originally Posted by BeckyDenne13
... so i could do the undergraduate degree in the uk then the LLB in the US right ?
Well, you'd do an undergraduate degree in the UK and then a JD in the US, but otherwise... yes.

Here's another thought... the University of Windsor in Ontario, Canada offers a dual LLB/JD degree - mostly because it's a US/CDN border town and many people who take the dual course live in one country and work in the other. Not sure if this would interest you or not (but you'd end up being eligible to take the bar exams in both countries). I don't know anyone who has actually taken the course but as UoW is my alma mater, I thought I'd plug it! The US component is offered through the University of Detroit Mercy. I don't know if any other border universities offer anything similar.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:58 am
Just Joined

BeckyDenne13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ohh Okay That Dont Sound To Bad
So What Is Better For Getting A Job In Law In The US A JD Or An US LLB ?
ThankYou So Much For Helping Me With The Advice And Info. It Means Alot x
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:03 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh i get it so i have to do an undergraduate first then a LLB , so i could do the undergraduate degree in the uk then the LLB in the US right ???
You have it exactly right. In the USA, a professional law degree is the Juris Doctoris (JD). It is considered a professional doctorate, like the MD. The LLB ceased to be the basic legal degree in the 1960s. The NAME was changed because, under the US system, students would get a BA as undergraduates and then GO ON to law school and get an LLB -- another "bachelor's" degree! So, to designate that (in the USA) the law degree holder had completed post-undergraduate study, the JD was used.

I don't think the LLB even exists in the USA anymore.

Additional law study AFTER the JD would typically receive the LLM. Some upper-level universities also grant an SJD (also known as the JSD) and the slightly rarer LL.C.M.

By the way: unlike MDs who are addressed as "doctor" in the USA, it is considered bad form for a JD, a lawyer, to insist on being called "doctor."

If you are interested in entertainment and/or media law, you must DEFINITELY work on your writing. Remember: "entertainment law is contract law with sexy clients." But it IS contract law. So do lots of writing, because you'll be reading and drafting all the time.

Best of luck.

--J
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:11 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So What Is Better For Getting A Job In Law In The US A JD Or An US LLB ?
Since there is no "US LLB", that leaves you with only the JD.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Ohhh Okay I get it
So Stay In the UK for my undergraduate
then try and get a student visa for the US and then try to get into law school to do a JD degree and then if i want to try and stay i will have to try and find a job to get a them to sponsor me for a working visa right?

Thankyou xxx
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

If you do your undergraduate degree in the UK at a good uni, you can probably do your second year abroad in the US as an exchange student. However, for this to be viable, i suggest you do NOT do law as your undergraduate degree.

In my experience law departments in the UK have more limited options for doing a year exchange to the US than
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:44 am
Account Closed

then try and get a student visa for the US and then try to get into law school to do a JD degree
This is a bit backwards... you need to be accepted at a school first before you can apply for the student visa, but generally there are no issues with the visa as long as you have been accepted for school and are otherwise eligible for the visa.

and then if i want to try and stay i will have to try and find a job to get a them to sponsor me for a working visa right?
Yes.

Ian
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Ohhh Okay so i have to try and get ina good uni in the uk study something for my undergrad preferably not law then try and get in law school in the US to do my JD - if i do get in then apply for visa - if visa is accepted then i go to US and get JD and try and find a job before i leave and get them to sponsor me for a working visa?

i think i have it all right?!

THANKYOU SO SO MUCH EVERYONE

xxx
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh Okay so i have to try and get ina good uni in the uk study something for my undergrad preferably not law then try and get in law school in the US to do my JD - if i do get in then apply for visa - if visa is accepted then i go to US and get JD and try and find a job before i leave and get them to sponsor me for a working visa?

i think i have it all right?!

THANKYOU SO SO MUCH EVERYONE

xxx
You make it sound easy; I'll bet it will be, for you!
Best wishes.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Thankyou EVERYONE for all your help it really does mean alot xxx
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:55 am
Just Joined

sleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nice

Hi there

Just a couple of points to add on to what everyone has said

1) There are unis in the UK which do a dual LLB/JD scheme. That is, a four year degree which nets you a JD and a LLM. I know that the London universities (Queen Marys', UCL, LSE) have a scheme of this sort with the university of Colombia: you spend two years here, two years in the States.

2) Unless you get extremely lucky with sponsorship, the finance is a really massive hurdle. It is unlikely to be feasible unless you have a source of a fair amount of money. College in the US is not like uni in the UK: its much more expensive, and you can't just stick it on a almost zero interest loan you pay back when you are earning, as you can here.

Whilst I understand that it is fiendishly competitive to get onto a good JD programme in the States, as I understand it these exchange programmes with the Universities of London aren't actually all that competitive, and you still get a JD at the end - its the cost that is the issue for people.

3) To clarify the LLB confusion.

In the UK, to become a lawyer you can do the following route. 3 year LLB - LLB is a undergraduate degree. Then 1 year on the LPC for solicitors or BVC for barristers. Then two years in a Training Contract for solicitors or two years in a pupillage for barristers.

In the US, law is not an undergraduate subject, so you need to already have a degree before you can do the JD.

The JD in the US is a very competitive post-graduate degree, whereas the LLB in the UK is a undergraduate degree.

4) If cost or competitiveness stops you, another route would be to work for one of the US firms in London. This could get you some serious experience with working on US law based deals, and the firm will likely fund you to do the NY or Cali bar exam. You could then get an intra-company transfer; or possibly get a job with another firm on the basis of your experience. Training people is expensive: its much much easier to get a job when you have a couple of years experience than it is as a trainee.

However, this would be harder to do with media. The US firms in London tend to be very heavy on doing corporate mergers & acquisitions and on advising private equity investors. Most media work is done domestically.

It would be quite hard to get over to the US as a media lawyer, I think. You might want to consider being more flexible about the field you start with.