Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Please do not believe the Newspapers

Please do not believe the Newspapers

Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Please do not believe the Newspapers

Originally Posted by brits1
Huddersfield really is in an ideal position...surrounded by stunning countryside...I just love the moors....near the bigger Cities in Yorkshire and fairly easy into Manchester if you need the big City fix.......glad you appreciated what a lovely Country we have and pleased your enjoying the many wonderful attractions it has to offer. Some people you will never convice but as long as you and yours are happy then in my mind you have hit "Jackpot"....we are heading home in April and we have never taken notice of the papers...when we are "back home" everyone is still a nice as when we left...still friendly, happy with their lot etc....
Actually, Huddersfield as long been regarded as the centre of the Universe. Here are the scientific facts:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bruce.l...ionofHudds.htm
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AC-Queen
Thanks for this post - I read too much of the Daily Mail as I find it more up to date than the Times online. I am very scared that we are making a mistake. My biggest concern is the crime - they paint such an awful picture. I am no innocent, having lived in two major cities, but they make it sound like you are all lucky to be alive! I must say that out here in Texas, guns are a'plenty. The one thing I like (and I didn't think I'd ever say this) is the fact that home defense is so expected from the criminals out here that home invasions/thefts are very very low, especially at night. In my huge master-planned neighbourhood they publish the crime stats every month - average 2 break ins a month.
I think in the whole UK (pop 60 million) around 58 people died at the hands of gun crime last year. Lets take out domestic disputes and people who weren't involved in gangs that would probably bring it down to 20. Contrast that to more than 20,000 in the USA. I think that is around 100 times the UK rate if population size is factored in. Hope that puts it all in perspective!!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:19 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
I think in the whole UK (pop 60 million) around 58 people died at the hands of gun crime last year. Lets take out domestic disputes and people who weren't involved in gangs that would probably bring it down to 20. Contrast that to more than 20,000 in the USA. I think that is around 100 times the UK rate if population size is factored in. Hope that puts it all in perspective!!
Pretty poor comparison I'm afraid as the shear availability of the weapon is the main point. I do not think the UK will ever be in the position to harbour guns at a 'domestic level'. Take into consideration the number of guns available in the UK and compare that to the 58 fatal shootings and see how high the percentage is then!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Pretty poor comparison I'm afraid as the shear availability of the weapon is the main point. I do not think the UK will ever be in the position to harbour guns at a 'domestic level'. Take into consideration the number of guns available in the UK and compare that to the 58 fatal shootings and see how high the percentage is then!
True, but whatever way you look at it you're way less likely to get shot in the UK
Old Mar 16th 2010, 5:47 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
True, but whatever way you look at it you're way less likely to get shot in the UK
True lets hope we can keep it that way The old saying still scares me.." America sneezes to-day, Britain catches a cold tomorrow"
Certainly going that way with juvenile knife crimes...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

confusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Please do not believe the Newspapers

I couldn't agree more, I think everyone that slates the UK should go and live abroad for a few years to learn to truly appreciate what we have! For me, it's the green countryside, the social scene, the more shared experience , the comedy, the British sense of humour, the sense of history and the warmth of most British people. The stunning architecture and beautiful buildings (which you never notice until you leave) the amazingly cheap grocery prices ( I had to give up on my love of cooking in the US as it was so expensive to buy food compared to just eating out - in fact, I can buy Californian grapes in the UK cheaper than I could in California). The tv shows, fish and chips, beer, pubs, the NHS, our diverse music scene, the culture...yes it's crowded yes it's hectic but it's dynamic vibrant forward thinking and alive and I for one am glad to live here!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:28 am
Just Joined

AC-Queen will become famous soon enoughAC-Queen will become famous soon enough

confusedgirl, you have summed up almost everything I want to move back for!!!
I knew I would have gun crime quoted to me because of my post, and obviously I do agree that gun crime is much lower in the UK for obvious reasons - no domestic gun ownership. I was only commenting on my life here in good old texas and how safe I feel in my neighbourhood and surrounding area with regards to theft and home invasions. I hate the thought of someone breaking into my home and harming my property or family. I actually find myself respecting the sheriffs here when they take the line that if someone breaks in to your property you can fully defend your family - no question.
One of the few things I wll miss about Texas is how criminals are treated as criminals, the police are very hard-line which suits me fine.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 2:03 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

One of the few things I wll miss about Texas is how criminals are treated as criminals, the police are very hard-line which suits me fine.
What's the latest on the Texan judge who allowed that guy to be executed when there was evidence to say he wasn't guilty and she knew it, but going home for the evening was more important?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 2:18 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What's the latest on the Texan judge who allowed that guy to be executed when there was evidence to say he wasn't guilty and she knew it, but going home for the evening was more important?
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/na...-84656402.html
Old Mar 17th 2010, 2:31 am
Just Joined

AC-Queen will become famous soon enoughAC-Queen will become famous soon enough

Personally not an issue to me as Texas is a big place, and I wasn't talking about the death penalty/ judicial system, just the experience in my neighbourhood in reference to my (probably unfounded) worries about returning home. However, in this case it is only a question of procedure and, yes, she was in the wrong re not allowing time for appeal - but the strap line is also important:

'On Sept. 25, 2007, Richard was executed for the brutal 1986 rape and slaying of Marguerite Dixon, a Houston-area nurse and mother of seven. He was twice-convicted and failed numerous appeals.
But on the morning of his scheduled execution, his attorneys saw a window of reprieve when the Supreme Court agreed to review a challenge to Kentucky's three-drug combination used in executions. Texas uses a similar lethal cocktail, which was the basis of Richard's final appeal.'

What - you're saying the streets would be safer with him? She made a bad call in not allowing the appeal, but hey... a twice convicted murdering rapist is dead.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:32 am
Just Joined

confusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud of

I totally agree, one of the things I will miss about America is how people are actually afraid of the police, and how committing a crime in the US usually leads to punishment and imprisonment (unlike British slaps on the wrist/insultingly low sentences). I think you should have the right to defend your home, maybe the thought of armed homeowners would deter burglars in the UK....instead of protection and compensation if they injure themselves.
Although....one thing I won't miss about US police....(I don't know if it's everywhere or just California) ....their love of eating/drinking in public and generally just lazing about. I was driving into the parking lot of a Lucky's store one day and saw 7 police cars parked up. Oooh, I thought, what's happened here, is there some kind of armed siege going on? It turned out that they were all sat at tables outside of a starbucks (next to lucky's) drinking coffee. I have even saw and chatted to some that were eating in Outback (an Australian style bar) , and I know they were on duty cos they were heading to a British style pub after their shift:P.