British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Pingpongers/those returning to the U.K (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/pingpongers-those-returning-u-k-430448/)

Jaycee1 Feb 25th 2007 7:02 pm

Pingpongers/those returning to the U.K

I have been wondering this for a while......

Was the decision to move back to the U.K easier because you liked where you lived before you left?

I ask this question as I spent my childhood in Aus and reluctantly moved back to Oldham with my Mum aged 13:mad: . If I eventually get to Aus and it didn't work out I would rather die than bring my children back here.
Thanks for any views in advance
J x

Mummy Feb 25th 2007 8:44 pm

Re: Pingpongers/those returning to the U.K

Absolutely not. We did not feel settled anywhere in the UK and moved around a hell of a lot (Plymouth, Bradford, Manchester, Cambridge, Wolverhampton, Stafford and Derby) before we came to Australia so had no town that we call home. Indeed, when we return this year we are hoping to settle in a completely different place again - Bristol area.

I think that there are quite a lot of returnees who have no intention of returning to where they came from before as well as those who obviously are intending to do just that. I suspect that those who return after a short time are more likely to return to where they were before and those who return after a couple of years or more might be more likely to try somewhere else on their return.

NedKelly Feb 25th 2007 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jaycee1 (Post 4453758)

Was the decision to move back to the U.K easier because you liked where you lived before you left?

I ask this question as I spent my childhood in Aus and reluctantly moved back to Oldham with my Mum aged 13:mad: . If I eventually get to Aus and it didn't work out I would rather die than bring my children back here.
J x

I used to have to stay in Oldham as my company had an office there. I used to travel up early on a Monday from Berkshire and stay for 2 or 3 nights. It was the pits compared to where I used to live and I hated every minute of it.

Jaycee1 Feb 25th 2007 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by NedKelly (Post 4454146)
I used to have to stay in Oldham as my company had an office there. I used to travel up early on a Monday from Berkshire and stay for 2 or 3 nights. It was the pits compared to where I used to live and I hated every minute of it.

I just can't put into words how I feel about Oldham. For one I think I would offend people with inappropriate language :eek:
J x

Jaycee1 Feb 25th 2007 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy (Post 4454107)
Absolutely not. We did not feel settled anywhere in the UK and moved around a hell of a lot (Plymouth, Bradford, Manchester, Cambridge, Wolverhampton, Stafford and Derby) before we came to Australia so had no town that we call home. Indeed, when we return this year we are hoping to settle in a completely different place again - Bristol area.

I think that there are quite a lot of returnees who have no intention of returning to where they came from before as well as those who obviously are intending to do just that. I suspect that those who return after a short time are more likely to return to where they were before and those who return after a couple of years or more might be more likely to try somewhere else on their return.

I am getting a better idea of why and where people return to the U.K.
It was a case of curiosity that hosted the question - even knowing that everyone has their own circumstances to returning. I certainly agree that those returning after a short period would return to their previous towns.
Cheers,
J x

clougherty family Feb 25th 2007 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jaycee1 (Post 4454286)
I am getting a better idea of why and where people return to the U.K.
It was a case of curiosity that hosted the question - even knowing that everyone has their own circumstances to returning. I certainly agree that those returning after a short period would return to their previous towns.
Cheers,
J x

I think it depends where you are from, like you say you hate Oldham so wouldn't go back there. I think probably some people (like us) like the place we are from (Maidenhead) and will definitely go back there to live. It's a nice place and all our friends and family are there.:thumbup:

Jo

TraceyW Feb 25th 2007 9:55 pm

We are originally from the midlands and will not be returning to there. We fancy still living by the sea so we're heading back to Devon or Cornwall. Hubby's family live in Exmouth so that'll be handy!

Oh, all this is on the proviso that I hate Brisbane when hubby drags me over there next year for our in depth rekkie! ;) :rofl:

Lord Pom Percy Feb 25th 2007 10:32 pm

J x

Is Oldham a dump, l saw some progam on T.V about race riots there, looked like a dump.

Beryl the Peril Feb 25th 2007 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by TraceyW (Post 4454323)
We are originally from the midlands and will not be returning to there. We fancy still living by the sea so we're heading back to Devon or Cornwall. Hubby's family live in Exmouth so that'll be handy!

Oh, all this is on the proviso that I hate Brisbane when hubby drags me over there next year for our in depth rekkie! ;) :rofl:

Just the same love! Sprawling surburbia, searing heat (humidity), dull as shit, and probably every bit as unsociable. I'm only going by what a friend of mine said when she visited friends there. She said it was SOOooooo boring - she couldn't believe how early everyone went to bed! Now, where have we experienced that before??!!

Funnily enough, we've thought about it too, but at the end of the day, and just like yourself, I would view it as just delaying our inevitable return to the UK. And, in a sense, why start all over again, when it's already been so hard to do that here? I guess the ADvantage about Brissy, is that it's easier to get to other places from there. Ho hum, scratching of head, and wondering "is it worth it"?

I do think it's important to weigh up what is making you feel unhappy where you are. If it's missing the folks, then I see no point in moving again. It doesn not remove that issue. This is what I've had to conclude. It doesn't take away the homesickness by moving elsewhere.

Beryl the Peril Feb 25th 2007 11:08 pm

J x

Yes, England has a multitude of problems in certain areas. We were cosily sheltered in sleepy Wimborne, Dorset and despite cursing the fuddy duddiness of it frequently, it was a fantastic place to bring up kids and very sociable too. So, yes, we will definitely return there - it makes sense, it's where our network of friends are and is also one of the nicest parts of battered Britain.

mandtooz Feb 25th 2007 11:46 pm

J x

absolutely not, i wouldnt go as far to say i was unhappy where i was, but things needed to change and i mean that in the sense of "my life needed to change" rather than exactly where i lived............ australia came about for abit of adventure, and we had done well in uk, made some money on houses and thought "lifes too short" so we gave it ago, australia has been and hopefully will continue to be a good experience.... only some days the attitudes, way of life, drivers etc etc get me down, on the whole though i just know, australia isnt for me.

Moving back to uk, is moving back "home" for me and mine! life for me is england... too many reasons to go into... we will however be returning broke! so lets hope we can climb our way back up!:)

Jaycee1 Feb 26th 2007 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy (Post 4454402)
Is Oldham a dump, l saw some progam on T.V about race riots there, looked like a dump.

Yes, the town is a great divide of whites and asians.
Please do not take this the wrong way, but this is how it is.

The riots just brought the great division of religion, cultures and ignorance to the media and highlighted what everyone had been harping on about for years.
The town is having major regeneration projects - in some areas whole communities have been torn apart because the government went for compulsary purchase orders - in the wrong areas.
I am unsure of the future for Oldham, but it's rapid decline speaks volumes.

I work in secondary schools and but a few determined children the next generation are from my school are 1:3 with needs - mostly social, emotional and behavioural.
I visit homes in both areas and it is a shame that the divide is so wide. Asian families are welcoming and grateful, polite and generous.

High unemployment and general filth are major issues combined with the above and well, you get the picture:(
Anyway, best keep to the topic but I would not return to this 'experiment of a town'.
J x

Southerncross Feb 27th 2007 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Beryl the Peril (Post 4454474)
Just the same love! Sprawling surburbia, searing heat (humidity), dull as shit, and probably every bit as unsociable. I'm only going by what a friend of mine said when she visited friends there. She said it was SOOooooo boring - she couldn't believe how early everyone went to bed! Now, where have we experienced that before??!!

Funnily enough, we've thought about it too, but at the end of the day, and just like yourself, I would view it as just delaying our inevitable return to the UK. And, in a sense, why start all over again, when it's already been so hard to do that here? I guess the ADvantage about Brissy, is that it's easier to get to other places from there. Ho hum, scratching of head, and wondering "is it worth it"?

I do think it's important to weigh up what is making you feel unhappy where you are. If it's missing the folks, then I see no point in moving again. It doesn not remove that issue. This is what I've had to conclude. It doesn't take away the homesickness by moving elsewhere.

Funnily enough most people work in Australia and therefore can't go out all night/late during the week. When I visited the UK it seemed to be only the tourists who went out late at night during the week. Plenty of nightlife in Perth Thurs,Fri, Sat and Sun, heaps of cafes/restaurants - suppose it does help having friends to go out with.

LouiseD Feb 28th 2007 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Southerncross (Post 4462240)
Funnily enough most people work in Australia and therefore can't go out all night/late during the week. When I visited the UK it seemed to be only the tourists who went out late at night during the week. Plenty of nightlife in Perth Thurs,Fri, Sat and Sun, heaps of cafes/restaurants - suppose it does help having friends to go out with.

Funnily enough, most people work in the UK but still manage to get out and about during the week and don't feel the need to be tucked up in bed by 8pm.

clougherty family Feb 28th 2007 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Southerncross (Post 4462240)

I expect it's only tourists going out in the week in Perth too, especially as unless you live in the city it's pretty hard to go out without driving. You'd have more chance of seeing Elvis than being able to get a taxi home at night here. Apart from that, every time I've been out in the city it's just BORING. I know someone's going give me the old "people that are bored are boring" line, but I don't care!! It's BORING!! There's no laugh, all the pubs are the same, bland, bland, bland. No character, no culture. Sorry, don't mean to offend but it's just my opinion, and I for one, like a good night out. No chance here, can't even be bothered to go out, rather stay in with a bottle of wine and a dvd.

Jo:(