Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ping-ponger - what are my options?

Ping-ponger - what are my options?

Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping-ponger - what are my options?

Originally Posted by Lilyella
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why it can't be done. Of course it depends on qualifications/eligibility etc, but it does happen:

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...ityworker.html
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...essionals.html
Seems you're right! He can go directly for PR on entry.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:34 pm
J. J. Farrell

On Jul 27, 1:00 pm, dunroving <[email protected]>
wrote:
> First off, sorry if this is a simple question - I browsed the FAQ's and
> couldn't find an easy answer, and I contribute so much to requests for
> help on the other boards that I hope you'll indulge me if you think I
> should know the answer to this one.
>
> OK, as you can see, I'm a ping-pong-ping-ponger. Long story short,
> I'm back in the UK and my financial situation is completely ballsed-
> up (I've gone from almost mortgage-free in the States to mortgage-
> laden, hardly making payments in the UK), so I'm looking at going
> back. I can't face the prospect of spending most of my remaining 15
> years of employment barely making ends meet just because the UK
> housing market went doollally just when the NC housing market did
> nothing and the US$ tanked.
>
> I'm a college prof and went the H-1B route before (typical process -
> interview - offer - employer and you submit the H-1B paperwork).
>
> Someone recently suggested I think about going the "employment-based
> visa route" rather than H-1B and I'm not sure what this means.
>
> I am eminently employable in higher ed in the States - did my masters
> and PhD there, worked there in two institutions for a total of 10 years,
> and am known in my discipline.
>
> Do I have any real options other than the H-1B route?
>
> p.s. I'm just looking for visa advice. I really, really don't want to
> get into discussions of why did I did this or that, or suggestions
> of how to deal with my UK financial situation (thanks!)

H-1B is probably your easiest and safest bet. Have yoiu been out of
the USA for a year, or can you stay out for that long? If so, you can
start another 6 years of H-1B which should give you plenty of time to
get on the way to a Green Card if that's what you want.

The H-1B is an employment-based visa. Your informant may have been
referring to an employment-based Green Card; it will take a lot longer
and a lot more hassle to get this rather than an H-1B as a way of
entering the USA. Normal way is to enter on H-1B and apply for an EB
Green Card once you're there.

Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J. J. Farrell
H-1B is probably your easiest and safest bet. Have yoiu been out of
the USA for a year, or can you stay out for that long? If so, you can
start another 6 years of H-1B which should give you plenty of time to
get on the way to a Green Card if that's what you want.

The H-1B is an employment-based visa. Your informant may have been
referring to an employment-based Green Card; it will take a lot longer
and a lot more hassle to get this rather than an H-1B as a way of
entering the USA. Normal way is to enter on H-1B and apply for an EB
Green Card once you're there.
- yes, I looked through those links earlier and it seems the standard you need to meet is much higher than for an H-1B. It looks like you also need an offer of employment and as Elvira said, universities are used to using a certain route (e.g., H-1B) and persuading them to go another route may not be easy.

- so, I'll be keeping my eyes open on the higher ed job boards, just in case, and contacting some of my old cronies to test the water.

- thanks all for the helpful (and quick!) replies.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
- yes, I looked through those links earlier and it seems the standard you need to meet is much higher than for an H-1B. It looks like you also need an offer of employment and as Elvira said, universities are used to using a certain route (e.g., H-1B) and persuading them to go another route may not be easy.

- so, I'll be keeping my eyes open on the higher ed job boards, just in case, and contacting some of my old cronies to test the water.

- thanks all for the helpful (and quick!) replies.
Yes, the person I referred to was very high level, but even then I think it took about 2 years to get the GC.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 12:04 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Like others on this thread, I'm not clear why an EB-1 or EB-2 application can't be completed by a UK resident, prior to arriving in the US. After all, National Interest or Exceptional Ability visas are regularly granted to people with international reputations in a particular field, and they can't all be already resident in the US, can they?

Anyway, as someone who recently completed the EB-2 National Interest route, I can tell you that from the information you've posted you're more than qualified for an Exceptional Ability or National Interest waiver, based on my experience.

I can PM you more details if you like, but I can say that I have around 30 peer-reviewed papers to my name, and had three very solid letters of recommendation from senior people in my field. My references were from people who knew my reputation in my field, but did not know me directly, which is important in these cases. The case was completed with a full citation search (~200 citations of my papers) and a couple of additional letters of support from the President and CEO of my corporation (in your case a Principal or Dean's letter from your previous University would probably be equivalent).

My NIW case was submitted in late Feb (in parallel with my I-485), approved the same day it was examined in April, and we had our GCs by July.

Do some more research on filing an I-140 waiver from abroad. It still seems to me that it should be possible, and even encouraged by the US. If you can do it, then in retrospect I believe it's pretty straight forward to do yourself, but an experienced immigration lawyer would certainly help.

Good luck!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 4:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
He can apply for permanent residency if he's living here on a suitable visa. He asks if he can apply directly from the UK (presumably with no current US status) -- the answer's nope.
In fact it is possible to apply directly for an employment based immgirant visa (leading to greencard on U.S. entry), as far as I know, at least in most cases. Otherwise there would be no such thing as the immigrant visa route (consular processing) and AOS within the U.S would be the only way.

It's unusual however to go for an IV without a non-immigrant status because processing times are such that it's not practical for the employer to wait so long and hence the applicant usually comes to the U.S. on a visa like H or L first.

But hypothetically, if a person was eligible for a GC with shorter processing time (eg EB-1) and employer was willing to wait 6-8 months, it could be done. In a small minority of cases, self-sponsorship can also be done.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lilyella
Have you thought about trying for an O-1? It sounds as if you might qualify, and supposedly if you get one it sets a good precedent for obtaining an EB1 (green card based on extraordinary ability).
I know 2 scientists who recently got O visas which frankly surprised me as they were quite junior. This was done because they were moving to private companies.