Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ping-ponger - what are my options?

Ping-ponger - what are my options?

Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ping-ponger - what are my options?

First off, sorry if this is a simple question - I browsed the FAQ's and couldn't find an easy answer, and I contribute so much to requests for help on the other boards that I hope you'll indulge me if you think I should know the answer to this one.

OK, as you can see, I'm a ping-pong-ping-ponger. Long story short, I'm back in the UK and my financial situation is completely ballsed-up (I've gone from almost mortgage-free in the States to mortgage-laden, hardly making payments in the UK), so I'm looking at going back. I can't face the prospect of spending most of my remaining 15 years of employment barely making ends meet just because the UK housing market went doollally just when the NC housing market did nothing and the US$ tanked.

I'm a college prof and went the H-1B route before (typical process - interview - offer - employer and you submit the H-1B paperwork).

Someone recently suggested I think about going the "employment-based visa route" rather than H-1B and I'm not sure what this means.

I am eminently employable in higher ed in the States - did my masters and PhD there, worked there in two institutions for a total of 10 years, and am known in my discipline.

Do I have any real options other than the H-1B route?

p.s. I'm just looking for visa advice. I really, really don't want to get into discussions of why did I did this or that, or suggestions of how to deal with my UK financial situation (thanks!)

p.p.s. I was eligible (met all of the requirements, and then some) for a GC based on exceptional professor/researcher status. Is it possible to apply for a GC if you are not presently living in the US?

Last edited by dunroving; Jul 27th 2007 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Lilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to all
Default Re: Ping-ponger - what are my options?

Have you thought about trying for an O-1? It sounds as if you might qualify, and supposedly if you get one it sets a good precedent for obtaining an EB1 (green card based on extraordinary ability).
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Lilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to all

Also -- yes, you could self-petition for an EB2 (exceptional ability green card) from the UK, but I'm not sure how long it would take, being "second preference," rather than EB1 which is first. I suspect a more reliable path might be to get an employer to petition for an 0-1 (which although has the same criteria as EB1 is known to be easier to get), then once you've been in the States for a while, apply for the EB1.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lilyella
Have you thought about trying for an O-1? It sounds as if you might qualify, and supposedly if you get one it sets a good precedent for obtaining an EB1 (green card based on extraordinary ability).
But are universities geared up for O-1s?

All the foreign university professors I know - and I know quite a few - moved here on H1bs. Even very senior ones with international reputations.

In my experience, colleges here have a certain way of doing things, and trying to get them to do anything just a little different is like trying to turn an ocean liner around...
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

It definitely happens, but perhaps you're right that it's not that common. Still, the process/cost/work involved for the employer isn't that different from an H1-B, so a uni department may be amenable if it's suggested to them.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It definitely happens, but perhaps you're right that it's not that common. Still, the process/cost/work involved for the employer isn't that different from an H1-B, so a uni department may be amenable if it's suggested to them.
'Scuse my ignorance, but what are the advantages of an O-1 over H-1B (other than you mentioned it was a better lead-in to applying for an EB-1 green card)? Does it last longer (H-1B is 2 x 3 yrs)?
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

There isn't a huge advantage to the O over the H, unless of course your job is subject to H quotas which I'm guessing yours wouldn't be. An O is granted for three years, and then can be annually renewed indefinitely.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
p.p.s. I was eligible (met all of the requirements, and then some) for a GC based on exceptional professor/researcher status. Is it possible to apply for a GC if you are not presently living in the US?
Nope.

Perhaps wise this time round to negotiate at the interview for the greatest haste from their side to permanent residency and thence, by yourself, to naturalization. Just in case you get itchy feet again.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Nope.

Why not, if he qualifies for an EB1 or 2?
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:50 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Why not, if he qualifies for an EB1 or 2?
He can apply for permanent residency if he's living here on a suitable visa. He asks if he can apply directly from the UK (presumably with no current US status) -- the answer's nope.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:55 pm
Ping-ponger

Nope.

Perhaps wise this time round to negotiate at the interview for the greatest haste from their side to permanent residency and thence, by yourself, to naturalization. Just in case you get itchy feet again.
Aye, once bitten twice shy and all that.

12 months ago I was well-established at my institution, in my 6th year on H-1B. The uni provided free processing of all faculty immigration papers (including applying for a EB-1) and I just dragged my heels. By the time I would have been thinking of submitting everything for the EB-1, I was starting to think about coming home and just never "got around to it" because in my mind I was thikning what is the point .... Being a regular reader of this site, I should have known better.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:56 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

He can apply for permanent residency if he's living here on a suitable visa. He asks if he can apply directly from the UK (presumably with no current US status) -- the answer's nope.
Now, I do know one professor who said the university sorted her GC before she moved here.

But she is Canadian (different rules perhaps?), and it's over 10 years ago, so I guess the system may have changed?
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:57 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by dunroving
Aye, once bitten twice shy and all that.

12 months ago I was well-established at my institution, in my 6th year on H-1B. The uni provided free processing of all faculty immigration papers (including applying for a EB-1) and I just dragged my heels. By the time I would have been thinking of submitting everything for the EB-1, I was starting to think about coming home and just never "got around to it" because in my mind I was thikning what is the point .... Being a regular reader of this site, I should have known better.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Spilled milk! Just don't repeat the mistake. That would be dumb.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why it can't be done. Of course it depends on qualifications/eligibility etc, but it does happen:

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...ityworker.html
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...essionals.html
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:01 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Elvira
Now, I do know one professor who said the university sorted her GC before she moved here.

But she is Canadian (different rules perhaps?), and it's over 10 years ago, so I guess the system may have changed?
Trying to think which visas give a GC on entry:

Some aliens married to USCs -- depending on method used
Parents and siblings sponsored by USC
Nurses
Diversity visa folk
EB-5 folk

Think that's it. But would love to learn differently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.