Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ping Ponger - Guilty as charged

Wikiposts

Ping Ponger - Guilty as charged

Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping Ponger - Guilty as charged

I grew up in the UK, lived in Hong Kong and moved to South Africa 30 years ago. My wife returned 3 years ago, and I came for a visit (first time in more than 20 years). She wants to live here and I moved back in June, but I don't think I'm going to stay. I like the UK, but I miss Africa badly.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 5:01 am
Just Joined

JANEY1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
There's no such thing as a mistake!Whenever you make a decision,you make the right one for that time!Know what you mean about walking alone.My OH and I walk alot,and I do walk alone sometimes but I don't ever put myself in vulnerable places,always walk in busier places ect.
Ooh, I like your comment...thanks. Your right....!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
Life begins at 40
As long as you can afford it and your not hurting anyone do what ever you want whilst you can
x
This is true but you do have to think about retirement just a little bit at 40plus...surely...and make some kind of provision at some point...or you will be curtailing your freedom for later.
Probably the key is finding another person you wish to put roots down somewhere with, as someone else said. With roots comes a support network usually or the opportunity to revive an old one. Why should old friends and family rally round if they suspect you will be off again soon like Mary Poppins on the next wind? Especially if you totally left of your own volition and didn't keep in touch very well while away.
Ping-ponging between the same two countries does seem a bit strange and fickle to me.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JANEY1
No, I dont think your being harsh. There is obviously some other factors there, otherwise I would have made the right decision in the first place. I will have to just figure out if that is really the case, and/or where is my permanent home.

This song kind of reminds me of me....This is too all the "Pongers"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PINxfouNQFw
Sorry a bit late replying to this thread.... but hey I know what you mean Jayney by the littlest hobo song! my situation us not quite the same as you, as I still want my move to Canada to work, but I moved to Canada 6 months ago, still havent found permanent work, and also had other unexpected setbacks, as a result, it feels like ive been moving around different parts of Ontario ever since! So hey heres another song that I think reminds my short time here and definitely your scenario....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-koax7HEYnE

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Dec 1st 2009 at 5:42 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Rodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JANEY1
No, I dont think your being harsh. There is obviously some other factors there, otherwise I would have made the right decision in the first place. I will have to just figure out if that is really the case, and/or where is my permanent home.

This song kind of reminds me of me....This is too all the "Pongers"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PINxfouNQFw

Had to join this bandwagon, serial ping-ponger too!! lived in same house, same village for 18yrs Then moved to OZ with OH and Son who like it. I prefer home (Scotland) moved back after 2.5 yrs....then moved back to Oz after 5 months (OH and Son wanted to!) been back nearly 2yrs I would go back tomorrow if I could...lesson learnt! careful what you wish for... and be grateful for "what you have/had and not what you want" used to think my life was boring!! same old!! midlife crisis?? boy!! do I have day's now when I wish I could turn back to my safe, secure, having family and close friend's boring life back again!! knocking 50 now too
Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

mtnjt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Janey

I gues we are prospective ping pongers!!!! Moved to Canada(NS) in 2007, moved back to UK Aug 2009 and now wondering if we really want to be in Canada! We have 3 children too! Its really hard to know where you want to be and sometimes I think we are making decisions for others eg family and not truly looking at what we want. I completely sympathise!

I would love to live in Florida...that was our first choice over Canada, but just seemed impossible to get in! Where did you live? How did you find the heat?

I would love to hear more about your Florida experience!

All the best with your decision making!!!! xx
Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need to put down roots and stay put in one place? You're still young, obviously want to see family but not all the time so if you can come and go between the UK and Florida and anywhere else then do it. You never want to finish your life thinking I wish I'd done this or that, so do what you can and what feels good to you. You're the most important person in your life. Look after yourself and don't double think.