Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ping pong poms - someone wrote a study about us!

Ping pong poms - someone wrote a study about us!

Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

beatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to all
Default Ping pong poms - someone wrote a study about us!

Did you guys know that a group of researchers analysed our chats and published this article, makes interesting reading if you can make your way through it!
Thought it only fair to share!

http://http://www.questia.com/librar...n-contemporary
Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping pong poms - someone wrote a study about us!

Originally Posted by beatle
Did you guys know that a group of researchers analysed our chats and published this article, makes interesting reading if you can make your way through it!
Thought it only fair to share!

http://http://www.questia.com/librar...n-contemporary
Hmmm, the link wouldn't work for me.

I wonder if that was the one that raised some issues about ethical approval and confidentiality ...
Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
http://www.questia.com/library/journal/1G1-321057322/ping-pong-poms-emotional-reflexivity-in-contemporary
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by holly_1948
http://www.questia.com/library/journal/1G1-321057322/ping-pong-poms-emotional-reflexivity-in-contemporary
Can you provide a link that we can click on? Can't get this to work on my ipad
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
Can you provide a link that we can click on? Can't get this to work on my ipad
You can copy and paste Holly's link into your browser, or try clicking here.

It doesn't give you access to the full article - you have to sign up for a "Free Trial" to get that.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:37 pm
Ping-ponger

To be honest, any frequent users of BritishExpats could have come to the same conclusions as they did, without needing a PhD.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.questia.com/library/journ...n-contemporary

is the link, but watch out, to read the full article you have to follow a link, and sign up for a trial period, which appears to be free.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

beatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to all

Here is the full pdf to look at. Makes interesting reading I think. Didn"t know we were being spied on though!
Apparently we are using our emotion to guide our decisions and rules and this forum is where we work it all out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
pingpongpoms.pdf (164.8 KB, 750 views)
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

You can copy and paste Holly's link into your browser, or try clicking here.

It doesn't give you access to the full article - you have to sign up for a "Free Trial" to get that.
Thanks the link worked unfortunately couldn't read full article like you said but just not worth signing up to read it
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brigette
Thanks the link worked unfortunately couldn't read full article like you said but just not worth signing up to read it
See above!
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I wonder if that was the one that raised some issues about ethical approval and confidentiality ...
I would say so.

Page 6
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

"The committee decided that as we were only looking at publicly accessible posts on the forum, not member‑only areas, ethics approval was not required.
Questions nevertheless remain about using such data without the knowledge or consent of the forum members. However, we would argue that because of their public character, ethical ‘covert’ research is possible with such sources, if treated carefully"

Seems reasonable enough to me. Everybody knows this is a public forum.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

I personally think it was worth it for the insights provided by the researchers. It would be nice to be informed however, and also to have access to this study. Though this may have been done. I guess our 'raw material' is being used it therefore it would be nice to be able to benefit/ know that this study exists.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:53 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I speed read the report and my response is "so what?"

From what I can see, fewer people are coming to Oz and more are going back to UK... they miss family, don't feel they belong and realize the grass isn't greener.

As others have said, I doubt any of us on BE needed a study paper to figure that.

What's the point of the study? Where is it published? Is anyone going to do anything with it? What's news?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Huh, groundbreaking!? People use their feelings as part of their decision making process, well, who knew! My only surprise is that they haven't diagnosed pathological reflexivity and demanded that there be a category in DSMV to pigeon hole those who decide to move on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.