Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Photo's of what you love..

Photo's of what you love..

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:05 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Photo's of what you love..

Why ? Because you don't agree with all the millions of people that find the UK a beautiful place to live they must be wearing rose tinted glasses ?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
* Insert cut and paste of chris955's pictures in here*, because there's not much more that needs to be said IMO.

and a medieval town
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/...0d17f9d180.jpg

The medieval town is the City of Chester...Foregate Street leading to The Cross. There's my bank...on the right just above Next.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:11 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been to Chester, what a stunning looking place.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I have never been to Chester, what a stunning looking place.
I lived there for 17 years before moving to the US. I miss Chester.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:01 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I see, well, I'll leave y'all to it.

Don't forget to remove the rose-tinted specs for the passport photos
...and put them on again when you enter Australia
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I see, well, I'll leave y'all to it.

Don't forget to remove the rose-tinted specs for the passport photos
thanks, thats reminded me: I must remember to raise my IQ by 40 points before I go home to visit.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The medieval town is the City of Chester...Foregate Street leading to The Cross. There's my bank...on the right just above Next.
Oh, I know it well. Used to live nearby in Caergwrle/Hope (near Wrexham).
Unfortunately I didnt appreciate it at the time (teenageer) and it was only when I went back last year for a visit that I noticed how increadible and picturesque it was.

A perfectly preserved place.
I'm sure there are many others in the UK that I havent been to that have similar characteristics. Thats the beauty of teh place, there's so much interesting stuff to see.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh, I know it well. Used to live nearby in Caergwrle/Hope (near Wrexham).
Unfortunately I didnt appreciate it at the time (teenageer) and it was only when I went back last year for a visit that I noticed how increadible and picturesque it was.

A perfectly preserved place.
I'm sure there are many others in the UK that I havent been to that have similar characteristics. Thats the beauty of teh place, there's so much interesting stuff to see.
I used to live in Rossett...midway between Wrexham and Chester. The guy who used to service our central heating boiler lived on Hope Mountain. We could see it from our house.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I used to live in Rossett...midway between Wrexham and Chester. The guy who used to service our central heating boiler lived on Hope Mountain. We could see it from our house.
I've passed through Rossett a few times but dont know it too well.

I must say I've got no real memory of Hope Mountain, suffice to say that I'd question its status as "a mountain"

I do remember seeing some amateur medieval re-enactment of some battle up by Caergwrle castle by a load of blatently drunken Sealed Knot people. They had a medieval festival once a year whcih was awesomely cheesy.

Where possible I would also steer clear of Wrexham. Its one of those places thats functional, but not particulalry pleasant!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:40 am
Banned

thanks, thats reminded me: I must remember to raise my IQ by 40 points before I go home to visit.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:41 am
Banned

Can we see some photos guys ?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea Chris.

1. Weston's cider, Much Marcle
2. River Wye near Hay on Wye
3. Hay on Wye - a booklover's dream.
4. Ancient artifacts (Brecon Museum).
5. Ancient places (Maen Mawr/Cerrig Duon).
Attached Thumbnails Photo's of what you love..-uk-2009-077.jpg   Photo's of what you love..-uk-2009-113.jpg   Photo's of what you love..-uk-2009-126.jpg   Photo's of what you love..-uk-2009-135.jpg   Photo's of what you love..-uk-2009-153.jpg  

Last edited by bandrui; Aug 3rd 2011 at 2:16 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I've passed through Rossett a few times but dont know it too well.

I must say I've got no real memory of Hope Mountain, suffice to say that I'd question its status as "a mountain"

I do remember seeing some amateur medieval re-enactment of some battle up by Caergwrle castle by a load of blatently drunken Sealed Knot people. They had a medieval festival once a year whcih was awesomely cheesy.

Where possible I would also steer clear of Wrexham. Its one of those places thats functional, but not particulalry pleasant!
I haven't been to Wrexham for over 15 years...and yes it was a bit of a dump then. I believe it's changed a lot since then...for the better.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

whilst these pictures arent particulaly pretty or picturesque, they remind me of one thing that the UK has in spades: Obscure traditions, which deserve to be celebrated.

Ottery St Mary: on Bonfire Night this town in Devon is insanly good fun. Grown men run through the streets (which are jam packed) with burning barrells of tar on their backs. Basically move out of the way or get burned. They also have a huge bonfire and suitably creaky fairground. Its the perfect way to celebrate the oncoming winter.

and then there's cheese rolling. A few miles from my folks house in Gloucestershire.
The premise: grown men and women chasing a ball of cheese down a stupildy steep hill. The winner, quite simply, gets the cheese:

and another shot of what happens to the people

UK traditions probably deserves its own thread.
Sadly too many are being phased out in the cotton wool world that we live in. Health and Safety and various cases of litigation are slowly putting an end to it.

edit: why dont my photos show up anymore? ok now they do.

Last edited by In Exile; Aug 3rd 2011 at 2:10 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

part 2 (I'm very visual)

1. Wild Welsh ponies.
2. Sweet shops.
3. Asparagus festival at the Fleece Inn nr Evesham.
4. Quintessential England (exercising the hounds at Broadway, Cotswolds).
5. Market days. (Devizes)
Attached Thumbnails Photo's of what you love..-uk-2009-189.jpg   Photo's of what you love..-uk-2009-263.jpg   Photo's of what you love..-uk-2009-324.jpg   Photo's of what you love..-uk-2009-422.jpg   Photo's of what you love..-uk-2009-481.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.