Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

photos of what home exactly?!!

photos of what home exactly?!!

Old May 12th 2009, 3:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: photos of what home exactly?!!

Originally Posted by bristoluk
I read a post by Rae who spoke generally of injustice and people without means ...I didn't see anything saying you had any great advantages.
Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Perhaps you missed this bit?
this is the uk for a tiny tiny privileged elite, whats that house worth, 2 or 3 million. watching a load of ponces rowing along a river....

But you had said it wasn't your house...you didn't grow up there...so how could it be saying you had such advantages?

I think, maybe, you've been a tad over sensitive just like Rae said he probably was.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
But you had said it wasn't your house...you didn't grow up there...so how could it be saying you had such advantages?

I think, maybe, you've been a tad over sensitive just like Rae said he probably was.
Considering it's my thread that he fires one off on and they're my pics, I think the clue in the bit where he says 'you' rather a lot.

maybe its me being over sensitive at the moment but i found this very annoying. well done for being so affluent and successful that you can afford this lifestyle, but do not represent this as the uk. its not. its in the uk, but available to such a tiny percentage its a joke. i took this as portraying a lifestyle to return to, should emigration not work out for you. rubbish. if you had this in the first place why in the hell did you move.
He isn't talking to my sister is he (who lives in that house) so exactly who is the 'you' this diatribe is aimed at?

He makes the absolutely ludicrous assertion that every single person that moves around the world is escaping some kind of hell hole existence. And as established before, my upbringing was a long long way short of elite, but a long short of being poverty prone either.

Last edited by Tr1boy; May 12th 2009 at 4:13 am.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:18 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Considering it's my thread that he fires one off on and they're my pics, I think the clue in the bit where he says 'you' rather a lot.
'you' was a general term, applicable to anyone in the position you may find yourself in. One thing is for certain, at no point did i make belittling remarks or insults based on you personally.

the background you post about had/has nothing to do with my point, which was and still is that, the pictures posted falsely represent england as a whole, they represent a home and an area available only to a minority of the population. However, i felt it was posted as representative of what expats moving back to the UK could expect. Its not, unless you are very affluent.

i was looking on this part of the forum, as the experiences of persons moving back interest me, as at the moment i have a little uncertainty in my mind.

the northern negative stereotypes are nice though, you do a lot to help your case there.

it may well have been a rant, most posts on here could be taken for that at times.

i am not left wing, far from it. This attempt at some kind of political slur aside, (is left wing bad?) i do not believe any political statement ever entered into anything.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:24 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

He makes the absolutely ludicrous assertion that every single person that moves around the world is escaping some kind of hell hole existence.
i'd be interested to have this bit pointed out to me as i cannot see it anywhere.
i'd also like to hear from anyone on the forum who had a magical and wonderful life in the UK, filled with daily joy, who then got up one morning and said, i know lets emmigrate.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:28 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i'd be interested to have this bit pointed out to me as i cannot see it anywhere.
i'd also like to hear from anyone on the forum who had a magical and wonderful life in the UK, filled with daily joy, who then got up one morning and said, i know lets emmigrate.
I'm still waiting for all those 'celebrities' who threatened to leave if New Labour were elected to tell us how their move went, and which countries they moved to. Then again, I don't read the likes of Hello magazine, so I may have missed them.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:32 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
I'm here.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:32 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I'm still waiting for all those 'celebrities' who threatened to leave if New Labour were elected to tell us how their move went, and which countries they moved to. Then again, I don't read the likes of Hello magazine, so I may have missed them.
mmmm yes. i'd be interested to know where triboys knuckle dragging purgatory is personally and why it is described in this manner. strikes me as a little elitist but maybe thats just me.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:33 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I'm here.
nice one. go on then, i'm all ears, or eyes depending on how you look at it.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:40 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
nice one. go on then, i'm all ears, or eyes depending on how you look at it.
Ok, what did I give up?
My own businesses (well actually I only gave up the hands on running, one is still going with a manager, the other was sold last sept).
Three\four foriegn holidays a year
Weekend away at least once a month
Decent pubs
Decent shopping
Decent take aways
HUGE choice of QUALITY restaurants (including EXCELLENT Indian).

Why did I move? for an adventure (and cos I was sick of the grey weather)

Would I go back to the UK? No thanks. Life (for me) is even better here, thats NOT to say I had a bad life in the UK, far from it.

What do I miss?
Style, Certain foods and the ability to visit foriegn climes (for a reasonable price and without needing to take three flights )
Old May 12th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
Now now Rae... that would be me for starters. I loved living in the UK, loved living in Mexico, loved living in Angola, love living in Canada... and in every one of these countries there were good and bad times. Sometimes people emigrate or move temporarily to live and work outside their birthplace because family circumstances and/or jobs so dictate. It's too much to expect a change of scene to make life complete.

I don't actually object to Tr1boy's pictures or to your views about them being unrepresentative (it goes without saying that a few nice snapshots cannot represent every aspect of the country).

Oh and I meant to type TRR (The Rover's Return) in my earlier post.. sorry.
Old May 12th 2009, 9:43 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
ii'd also like to hear from anyone on the forum who had a magical and wonderful life in the UK, filled with daily joy, who then got up one morning and said, i know lets emmigrate.
I've had a wonderful life in the UK and still enjoy it. I'm also emigrating

I said it previously, i believe ~90% of the UK is lovely (and no the scummy areas of Manc, Liverpool, Birmingham, London, Bristol, etc etc don't make up a large proportion of land within the UK as a whole).

I was brought up in a little semi in Yorkshire where today you can easily grab a beautiful home for around £130k. This gets you 10 mins outside of York, 30 mins from Leeds, Sheffield, Hull, and has you 1 minute from the countryside, next to a river, and a few other nice bits. Very accessible i'd say to many people.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have a wonderful life here and love England, and am still moving to Canada. So count me in as another one!

And I think you and I must be looking at different houses - for starters, how do you know it had 'land'? And I don't see a river in the photo? It certainly cannot be described as 'substantial' - my best guess is it's 2 bedrooms (possibly 3 max), hence why I said it would be worth no more than £400k here.

You have attacked the poor person that posted his holiday photos and I'm still unsure as to why. When I return home I will be staying at my parents house which is set in 2 acres and worth approx £1.5M - but that doesn't mean it's my life! Just because his sister owns a nice home, is that any reason to belittle him and deride his photos?

Even if they do have a nice life in the UK (not the case in this thread as it's not his life, but you know what I mean), then how do you know they haven't sacrificed and worked damn hard for it? Using my father as an example, he now has that 'privileged' life you refer to - the aforementioned large house with acreage in posh part of UK etc. But he was brought up in a terraced house in Lancashire by just his father, left school at 15 with no qualifications and put in 14-20 hours a day for over 20 years to get to where he is now. I for one, think he is entitled to his 'privileged elite' life as he has earnt it himself with hard work and sheer determination.

You have made numerous sweeping statements about other people in this thread, and particularly about the person whose thread you are referring to. I can only assume it's due to your jealousy/chip on your shoulder but there is just no need for that amount of vitriol towards others, no matter what their circumstances are.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 12th 2009 at 2:00 pm.
Old May 12th 2009, 2:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the tuque wearing Flames fans I personally I appreciate the collage of English life the OP posted.
I think in the third one, the end house, next to the offy, is actually my nans.

Last edited by Oink; May 12th 2009 at 3:17 pm.
Old May 12th 2009, 3:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Ok, what did I give up?
My own businesses (well actually I only gave up the hands on running, one is still going with a manager, the other was sold last sept).
Three\four foriegn holidays a year
Weekend away at least once a month
Decent pubs
Decent shopping
Decent take aways
HUGE choice of QUALITY restaurants (including EXCELLENT Indian).

Why did I move? for an adventure (and cos I was sick of the grey weather)

Would I go back to the UK? No thanks. Life (for me) is even better here, thats NOT to say I had a bad life in the UK, far from it.

What do I miss?
Style, Certain foods and the ability to visit foriegn climes (for a reasonable price and without needing to take three flights )

In a similar vein to BC......I had a good job with a higher income level than I enjoy here. We lived in a nice, albeit small, house in a pleasant market town with many pubs/restaurants/curry houses within walking distance. We had a good circle of friends and the ability to travel reasonably well during the year.

Why did I move? Because the Mrs wanted to come home and I fancied a challenge and a change. Was I leaving the UK because I lived in some hellhole or disliked it? No, absolutely not. Do I miss aspects of the UK? Yes and so does the Mrs. Is it nice to see pics of the UK? You bet.
Old May 12th 2009, 3:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I said it previously, i believe ~90% of the UK is lovely (and no the scummy areas of Manc, Liverpool, Birmingham, London, Bristol, etc etc don't make up a large proportion of land within the UK as a whole).
Not a lot of land, no, but quite a bit of the population.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.