Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

photos of what home exactly?!!

photos of what home exactly?!!

Old May 11th 2009, 7:29 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: photos of what home exactly?!!

Originally Posted by rae
its just that this is NOT the uk. this is the uk for a tiny tiny privileged elite, whats that house worth, 2 or 3 million. watching a load of ponces rowing along a river, are you serious. why not just post a picture of buckingham palace while you are at it. lets have the weekend there.

i'm just ranting because the distinct impression i got was, hey this is england, come on back from wherever you are and enjoy the fun. bollox. if i went there with my accent some toff would probably shotgun me.
Dude, you need to remove that chip on your shoulder (or at least make it sweeter with some ketchup).

I live in London (with a very strong yorkshire accent and free from toff induced injuries) and am certainly no toff nor affluent yet i walk to the end of my street and see rowers on the thames every day. I drive for a short while and i'm seeing excellent countryside scenery not dissimilar to the pictures in the nicey nicey thread. I'm 5 minutes from Hampton Court Palace, the Deer Parks, 30 mins from Windsor Castle, etc etc and it's very picturesque.

The cottage in the picture would be valued depending on area so could range from low to high 6 figures i'd have thought.

Maybe you're used to deprived areas but where i was brought up in Yorkshire (near York) we certainly didn't have a lot of cash for a fancy life yet we certainly had the natural beauty it offered to immerse ourselves in.

Yes there are good and bad areas in the UK but i would be very confident in saying that the majority % of the UK is very nice to look at.

You may also want to write on the threads depicting Canada as being beautiful and scenic because there are also very deprived and crappy areas there too.
Old May 11th 2009, 11:11 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newshoney
But in fairness to Rae, there is a lot of wishful thinking both on this site and TTR...
TTR
Old May 11th 2009, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Why aye bonny lad. Seaham Harbour it is.

What a miserable town that place is, just steps from that picture. Ye gods, I was so pleased my parents had the sense to move away from there. I often wonder what my life would have been if they hadn't moved down south.
Ya wad bee a sanddancer bonny lad!!!

Spoken from North of The River I add.
Old May 11th 2009, 6:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was a nice picture and quite frankly not bad for a council house.
Old May 11th 2009, 6:35 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Why aye bonny lad. Seaham Harbour it is.

What a miserable town that place is, just steps from that picture. Ye gods, I was so pleased my parents had the sense to move away from there. I often wonder what my life would have been if they hadn't moved down south.
Me too - we moved from Seaham to South Kensington....culture shock to say the least!
Old May 11th 2009, 9:02 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newshoney
But in fairness to Rae, there is a lot of wishful thinking both on this site and TTR... about how the grass is greener here...oops no it isn't, it was greener there... oops no it isn't, how about trying somewhere else... and so on and so forth.

It's human nature, I guess. No doubt to justify to themselves how superior their reasoning was in returning to the UK, some people post images seen through (if not taken through) rose-tinted lenses. Do you suppose that for some it's a form of boasting? Or self-delusion?

One thing is undeniably true: class distinction and prejudice blight many lives in the UK. Other things blight lives too... here and there, but at least in Canada, class doesn't elevate you or consign you to the gutter before you have a chance to prove yourself.

(I speak as an observer, not a victim)
fair points. boasting and self delusion personally.

i fully accept i have bags of chips on both shoulders, this being pointed out does not bother me that much, i know, unfortunately they remain with me come what may. they have arrived there after seeing years of injustice, for those without the means, title, or connections, to avoid what was coming their way, its this that i find galling, especially when, in my opinion, england is portrayed in the manner some have replied to on here.

this is backed up when people post that this kind of life is available to all, and 90% of the UK is like this??!! are you serious, have you ever visited inner city manchester, liverpool, birmingham, bristol, plymouth? makes me laugh as you confirm exactly what i am going on about without even realising it. to some this is england, and they portray it as such. it is not, its a very small part accessible to the privileged few.

give me an example of a bin man living in a detached cottage by a river and i'll wind my neck in.

the original photos of the home are what i was referring to, my apologies if this was not clear, its states in the post attached to them, this is the sisters house, not just a random picture/tourist spot.

below for the person who can find a substantial detached thatched roof cottage in its own grounds next to a river in heart of the english countryside for 250,000 pounds, i couldn't.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...86.html?locati

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...35.html?locati
Old May 11th 2009, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thank you so much I haven't laughed this much in ages I thank you so much for your brilliant replies and pictures of real life in the UK one which the average Canadian doesn't see and can never understand why we moved here in the first place.

Absolutely brilliant and thank you. Must go now as I've taped my Coronation Street and my chicken tikka is going cold. Did you see what Jeremy Clarkson said about "ex pats". Says he from his 1.5 million GB pounds mansion in Stow on the wold ha!
Old May 11th 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

fair points. boasting and self delusion personally.

i fully accept i have bags of chips on both shoulders, this being pointed out does not bother me that much, i know, unfortunately they remain with me come what may. they have arrived there after seeing years of injustice, for those without the means, title, or connections, to avoid what was coming their way, its this that i find galling, especially when, in my opinion, england is portrayed in the manner some have replied to on here.

You need to move to Oz. They have a serious salinity problem and with those massive chips on your shoulders it would be a great way to use up the salt.

It is my sister's house, and it's worth is nobody's business on here. Speculate to your hearts content. I put the pictures up because they I thought fellow MBTTUKers would like them. There are several of that house on there, and if bothered to do a search on my other posts before you went into default working class man this is all I'll ever be, woe is me mode, you would have seen I have put up all sorts of pics. The cathedral is there because I live in Wells, Somerset.

Here's a pic you'll enjoy:

It is of the back garden at Xmas of the house I grew up in. Hey guess what, it's an ex council house in an ordinary street in Wells, Somt. My Dad worked in a brush factory years ago and my Mum packed cheese for a living. Now because my parents don't have chips on their shoulders, they encouraged us to be the best we can be, and my sister works for a prominent law firm and I do very well in my chosen profession. We achieved this without going to uni because my parents could not afford it. I've been lucky enough to live in 4 countries and have seen more of the world than I ever thought possible. It has never ocurred to me to restrict my vision to the grime that undoubtdly exists in the UK and every other country I've lived in.

I posted a picture of my sister's dog's 7 puppies a while back, perhaps I should have posted a pile of dog sh!t instead for a bit of 'realism'. The bad points of the UK don't need highlighting as the Godzoners, haters and media do a good enough job of that. I prefer to live my life with a different view of my country, and seeing how it's my life and all, I'll make my choices on how I view things.

Here's another pic, it's of the moat that surrounds the Bishop's Palace next to Wells Cathedral. This is 'the other end' of town that we could never afford to live in, but does that stop me from admiring its beauty? of course not.

I'll sign off now as I don't want to keep you from ironing your hair shirt and feeding the whippets.
Attached Thumbnails photos of what home exactly?!!-dscf0222.jpg   photos of what home exactly?!!-dscf0220.jpg  
Old May 12th 2009, 12:11 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
It is my sister's house, and it's worth is nobody's business on here. Speculate to your hearts content. I put the pictures up because they I thought fellow MBTTUKers would like them. There are several of that house on there, and if bothered to do a search on my other posts before you went into default working class man this is all I'll ever be, woe is me mode, you would have seen I have put up all sorts of pics. The cathedral is there because I live in Wells, Somerset.
If you post pictures, people will comment on them. If you want fellow MBTTUK-ers to see them then maybe you'd have been better off posting it in that forum, instead of in the Canada forum.

Why should people have to search through your other posts before responding?
Old May 12th 2009, 12:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
...are you serious, have you ever visited inner city manchester, liverpool, birmingham, bristol, plymouth?
the house I grew up in. Hey guess what, it's an ex council house in an ordinary street in Wells...
Hmmm....inner city Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol, Birmingham.....and Wells.
Yes, that's a fair comparison.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
If you post pictures, people will comment on them. If you want fellow MBTTUK-ers to see them then maybe you'd have been better off posting it in that forum, instead of in the Canada forum.

Why should people have to search through your other posts before responding?
Not following your logic at all there. I didn't post the original pics in this forum. Benny the Binman was obviously looking in MBTTUK (not sure why).

I'm not saying he had to do a search, but it's clear he didn't as he's fired a wobbler based on a couple of doxzens of pics I've put up without any forethought at all.

I welcome comments on any of my pics as do all posters I'm sure. Just seems a bit odd to pick on my pics for quasi poliotical left wing rant, that's all.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:27 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606719

maybe its me being over sensitive at the moment but i found this very annoying. well done for being so affluent and successful that you can afford this lifestyle, but do not represent this as the uk. its not. its in the uk, but available to such a tiny percentage its a joke. i took this as portraying a lifestyle to return to, should emigration not work out for you. rubbish. if you had this in the first place why in the hell did you move.

so in answer, here are my images.
pic # 3 is actually a corner shop (with a Drs surgery next to it) just down the road from where I used to live in Swinton, Manchester..and of course all the rest are piccies of Manchester and Salford....nuff said..
Old May 12th 2009, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

have you ever visited inner city manchester, liverpool, birmingham, bristol, plymouth?
Visited, well I lived in inner city Bristol for a few years, does that count? Totterdown, to be precise. Let me know if I'm qualified to comment any further champ.

Hmmm....inner city Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol, Birmingham.....and Wells.
Yes, that's a fair comparison.
Read was was written again. I was acussed of having a privelidged life, and whilst a council house in Wells, might be exactly cardboard city, it's long long way from the kind of lifestyle Benny is suggesting that I grew in. Anyway, it's picture, look, don't look, wring your hands, enjoy, whatever.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:46 am
Oscar nominated

I lived in inner city Bristol for a few years, does that count? Totterdown, to be precise.

Read was was written again. I was acussed of having a privelidged life, and whilst a council house in Wells, might be exactly cardboard city, it's long long way from the kind of lifestyle Benny is suggesting that I grew in. Anyway, it's picture, look, don't look, wring your hands, enjoy, whatever.
I read a post by Rae who spoke generally of injustice and people without means and he mentioned inner city areas. I didn't see anything saying you had any great advantages. You responded as if a council house in Wells was comparable. Coming from Bristol I know that as well as the inner city areas, there are the not so inner city areas like Easton and Barton Hill and the sprawling, deprived, high unemployment, drug-ridden council estates like Hartcliffe, Southmead, Knowle, Lawrence Weston.

Come from the 'wrong' part of Bristol and move onto one of those estates and you're in for a life of harrassment.

A council house in Wells just isn't the same.

Totterdown eh? Small world. Me too...from 1984 to 2004.

While a long way from posh it's also a long way from 'inner city' too. The area "coming up" and becoming trendy with the consequent rises in property values is what gave me the equity to buy properties here and live in early retirement.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I read a post by Rae who spoke generally of injustice and people without means and he mentioned inner city areas. I didn't see anything saying you had any great advantages.

Perhaps you missed this bit?

this is the uk for a tiny tiny privileged elite, whats that house worth, 2 or 3 million. watching a load of ponces rowing along a river, are you serious

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.