Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Phoebe Prince~Have your kids had any problems?

Phoebe Prince~Have your kids had any problems?

Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phoebe Prince~Have your kids had any problems?

I was listening to CNN and it ran the story about Phoebe Prince Such a tragic end to a young life. It did not say that her being an Irish immigrant was the cause of the bullying but I am guessing it was a big factor.

Did/do your immigrant kids have any problems in school because they are 'different'?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:17 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phoebe Prince~Have your kids had any problems?

not heard it, maybe you could put up a link? All I am hearing today is the F wit woman in Tennessee, who posted her kid back the Russia, and ruined it for others adopting there! she didn't even ask for help, just shipped him back like he was not what she ordered from sears!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:51 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by made of kent
not heard it, maybe you could put up a link? All I am hearing today is the F wit woman in Tennessee, who posted her kid back the Russia, and ruined it for others adopting there! she didn't even ask for help, just shipped him back like he was not what she ordered from sears!
Ah, but she was from Shelbyville...
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:49 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

I was at a concert the other night being run by "to write love on her arms", trying to raise awareness about suicide, they dedicated the whole thing to Phoebe.

Its sad story that is happening more and more
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
There are several articles on CNN about Phoebe Prince. Here is one.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/09/...ide/index.html
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt very seriously her being an Irish immigrant had anything to do with it. In fact, that would have made her a big hit with the boys, making the other girls jealous, and...oh wait...
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Big news around here, but then it's a local story.

Seems half the people are getting done as juveniles and the rest aren't.

They've not made much of her being an immigrant and tbh, there are Irish people all over the place around here, legit immigrants, dodgy immigrants and then the rest are pretend immigrants. So her being Irish wouldn't have been anything new or different.

Some people are just simple arseholes and schools don't tend to get involved around here either.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:21 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Big news around here, but then it's a local story.

Seems half the people are getting done as juveniles and the rest aren't.

They've not made much of her being an immigrant and tbh, there are Irish people all over the place around here, legit immigrants, dodgy immigrants and then the rest are pretend immigrants. So her being Irish wouldn't have been anything new or different.

Some people are just simple arseholes and schools don't tend to get involved around here either.
See... Growing up in schools that hosted loads of immigrants from around the world, I would think the fact her being an immigrant would be a big deal and not in the so positive way when it comes to girls being competitive or boys trying to do the "Im picking on you cause I like you" routine.

I have watched what some of our exchange students endured...the boys were always a popular figure amongst the girls, especially if they were good looking and had a thick accent and a daft look on thier face when they didnt understand something..but the american lads didnt take much to the exchange student unless he was athletic and GOOD.however, the girls who were in the program, often did not have other female friends ( often being befriended by the less popular girls, therefore increasing the bullying factor magnitudes ) The boys, were especially harsh if the girl wasn't pretty and most often since girls are advanced for their age past the boys in the same grade, they were often ridiculed for being "smarty pants"

I think the news is downplaying the immigrant part to reduce cries of racism / hate crime to be honest.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 3:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint

I think the news is downplaying the immigrant part to reduce cries of racism / hate crime to be honest.
Around here, it really is a none issue.

Perhaps if she was Brazilian it might have been different, but not because she was Irish.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 3:18 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Around here, it really is a none issue.

Perhaps if she was Brazilian it might have been different, but not because she was Irish.
I'm from the east coast and have many friends in that area...Were the people who allegedly attacked her of immigrant status? I don't believe so, unless that is a fact being withheld from the news reports....*shrugs* either way it was a disgusting crime, a horrible outcome and a devastating blow to that girls family. As long as justice is served in her name, the reason for the bullying doesn't really matter, it's the gross negligence of these kids parents that they partook in raising youth who would do this to another living thing. As a mother, I stand firm that I believe the parents should hold some responsibility, whether or not there is a crime committed, I know I would be ashamed if my child did this to someone.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 3:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
I'm from the east coast and have many friends in that area...Were the people who allegedly attacked her of immigrant status? I don't believe so, unless that is a fact being withheld from the news reports....
Nearly everyone is, related or best friends with the Irish, it's Boston.

It's a none issue.

The people who did this and their parents were just simply arseholes and deserve to be punished for it, race didn't have anything to do with it though.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

No parent wants to see their child upset through bullying or anything else for that matter. As a parent of a 16 year old whose jusst moved here in the last 2 months, I have realised how hard it can be for a child of that age to "fit it".

Such a tragic loss of a young life and my heartfelt sympathy goes to her parents who must be beside themselves. How sad that she felt this was her only way to get some peace in her life.

Makes you think.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Nearly everyone is, related or best friends with the Irish, it's Boston.

It's a none issue.

The people who did this and their parents were just simply arseholes and deserve to be punished for it, race didn't have anything to do with it though.
I think they did call her an 'Irish slut' though ironically two of the bullies - Sean Mulveyhill and Flannery Mullins - have Irish surnames.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
I think they did call her an 'Irish slut' though ironically two of the bullies - Sean Mulveyhill and Flannery Mullins - have Irish surnames.
aye, but most kids around here are a bunch of slags so I wouldn't put any thing substantial behind it.