PETS / Quarantine

Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

fullerlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PETS / Quarantine

Hi,

I will be moving myself, Wife, US-born daughter and US-born Dog to the UK from the US in about 30-60 days.

We were a bit late getting started with the dog's PETS paperwork, and the 6 month period won't be up until 2 months after we are planning to leave.

Has anyone else had this situation? Will they allow him to stay the remainder of the period in quarantine in the UK?

Thanks,

Lee
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:08 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PETS / Quarantine

Originally Posted by fullerlee
Hi,

I will be moving myself, Wife, US-born daughter and US-born Dog to the UK from the US in about 30-60 days.

We were a bit late getting started with the dog's PETS paperwork, and the 6 month period won't be up until 2 months after we are planning to leave.

Has anyone else had this situation?
I haven't, but others have.

Will they allow him to stay the remainder of the period in quarantine in the UK?
Yes.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Has anyone else had this situation? Will they allow him to stay the remainder of the period in quarantine in the UK?

Thanks,

Lee

From everything I've read you can take him back with you, but he'll have to stay for the remainder of the quarantine period in a UK kennel. You may want to contact DEFRA (www.defra.co.uk) for more information on this.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:48 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks,

Lee
I recently called DEFRA and asked them this (in the last month or so) and they confirmed that your pet can stay the remainder in UK quarantine.

I don't know if you'd need to use a pet travel company or not, though, as you are not allowed to transport the pet from the airport to the kennel yourself.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
I recently called DEFRA and asked them this (in the last month or so) and they confirmed that your pet can stay the remainder in UK quarantine.

I don't know if you'd need to use a pet travel company or not, though, as you are not allowed to transport the pet from the airport to the kennel yourself.
i think ladyhaye will will pick up from Gatwick for you and keep the pet....here's their website and you can always email them for more info. we've used them and they were fine. i'm assuming you are going into Gatwick but if not then maybe they can recommend another suitable for you.

http://www.ladyhaye.co.uk/
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

fullerlee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I'm planning on flying into Manchester, does anyone know of a good Quarantine kennel in the West Manchester area?

Lee
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:50 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning on flying into Manchester, does anyone know of a good Quarantine kennel in the West Manchester area?

Lee

I don't know of any kennels in your area but I do know that when we took our dog from Arizona to Britain the kennels themselves picked her up from the airport and transported her to the kennels, as someone else already mentioned, you will not be able to do this yourselves.
I got a list of several kennels in the area (online I seem to remember) then I proceeded to call them all and question the heck out of them (did they have heat lamps in the kennels, were they given any excercise time, that sort of thing) before we made a final decision. If they are a good kennel then they should have all the answers that you are looking for, don't use any where that doesn't sound completely right to you.
We moved our dog over about 6 years ago and she had to go through the entire 6 month quarantine in Britain. We were absolutely dreading it but we had no other choice as she was part of the family and we couldn't leave her behind.
The kennel staff were absolutely wonderful and we visited with her if not every day then every other day. It was hard leaving her there at the end of the visit but the day we brought her to her new home she was so excited to be leaving she was bounding about like a loon!

Make sure that the kennel you use to transport your dog is of ample size and has a water bowl attached to it or the airline will either turn your pet away or make you purchase one from them. make suire that there are plenty of warm blankets in there too as the hold can get very cold for them.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:50 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Lee
I talked to a fantastic guy in Yorkshire when I brought Suzy back in 2000. I'll look in my materials from back then to see if I can find his details. Quarantine kennels are few and far between so you may need to look a little further afield/sacrifice convenience and closeness for peace of mind.