Wikiposts

Petrified

Old May 29th 2010, 1:55 am
Just Joined

steveandpaula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Petrified

Hi,

Ive asked a couple of questions on here inthepast about moving to the UK and am about to whine about my fears...less tolerant members may want to sign out now.

We have decided to move to the UK in September 2011. Im petrified to say the least. Im a UK citizen but never worked or lived there as an adult. My partner is an Australian citizen with British Heritage. He's excited as can be and has the attitude of "she'll be right" but me, all I can think of is all the things that can go wrong and how much we have to lose.
I want to go desperately but cant get over the all negatives. Steve has only ever holidayed in the UK and Im thinking he has a rose tinted view of how its going to be. Is it best to have this attitude? (Steve's, not mine)and just get on with it and worry if and when it happens?

my biggest fear is the job thing.We said we will take anything to get some sort of income for us. Im scared we will end up with nothing!!

Are we crazy? Do most people who make "the move" have these doubts?
Old May 29th 2010, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of
Default Re: Petrified

Yep. Sure do. I'm in exactly the same boat (well nearly, at least I have worked in the UK, came out here when I was 30, 19 years ago.) We're going back in July 2010. My wife's an aussie who has only holidayed in the UK and we've a 12 year old daughter who has also only holidayed in the UK.
We haven't got jobs but at least we've got a place to stay so who knows how it will turn out

We're leasing our house in Melbourne and giving ourselves 6 months (wish it were longer but the mortgage kicks back in and the rental won't cover it.)

It's just something we have to do, neither of us are happy in Australia, and it'll be the biggest regret of both our lives if we don't at least try.

Yes we're scared, filled with doubt and anxieties but we're going to give it our best shot and if we have to come back, then at least we know we will have tried.

Life's an adventure, embrace it. Good luck.
Old May 29th 2010, 2:34 am
Just Joined

steveandpaula is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask you more questions in a PM? Would you mind?
Old May 29th 2010, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

You should not be scared to voice your opinion and fears as they are yours and nobody else's. It is your life, so ask away!

I am returning from to the UK, hopefully this year. I say hopefully, as the only thing really making me stay at the moment is the fear I will not find any type of employment. I am a teacher and have a secure job here (I don't like my current position, but nothing is perfect, right...). When I have voiced my fears about not getting a position back home, some people have vehemently told me that there are teaching jobs back home and that I shouldn't be scared. Well, the area I am going back to is laying off teachers...so, that doesn't hold true. There have been a lot of cutbacks in the teaching profession in my particular area that I am going back to. Therefore, fears are warranted...no matter what others say. I am sick of hearing there are plenty teaching jobs when I hear from my brother, who is a teacher there, that there are none at the moment. This really worries me

That being said, I get all excited about the move back, as I have deep connections in my home town, and to be perfectly honest, love it there. So, I am going in July for an extended amount of time to scope out the situation jobwise. I have faith that whatever is meant for me will not pass me by.

I am single and moving back from the US, so don't know how much help I can be, but if you want to ask anything, ask away

Good luck to you and your husband

(geez, I sure prattle on, don't I)
Old May 29th 2010, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Goodluck with whatever you decide.

There may not be many jobs available in your particular field, however there are plenty of teaching jobs available and many of these are advertised on the TES website.

Poppit
Old May 29th 2010, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppit
Goodluck with whatever you decide.

There may not be many jobs available in your particular field, however there are plenty of teaching jobs available and many of these are advertised on the TES website.

Poppit
Thanks Poppit. There are not many in my area of Scotland unfortunately. I keep up-to-date with my local region and TES and everything else I can get my hands on. Even though there are a lot posted it is nowhere near where I come from usually, and sometimes these jobs are already spoken for, but of course, we don't know that now do we (ha,ha). Just the way of the world. I know that first hand being a teacher here. Jobs are posted, but they have already chosen who should get it before the interview, so the poor saps that turn up not knowing are in for a big disappointment. Happens all the time, unfortunately. If you are not on the inside you don't know this information.

I will stay positive, which I have been, and hope for the best. Thanks anyway.
Old May 29th 2010, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

What you say is so true - what about signing up with supply agencies, it's another good way of getting into an educational establishment?

Goodluck with the job hunting, I'll keep my for you.

Poppit
Old May 29th 2010, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poppit
What you say is so true - what about signing up with supply agencies, it's another good way of getting into an educational establishment?

Goodluck with the job hunting, I'll keep my for you.

Poppit
Yes, that's what I am doing initially, and I will apply for jobs as they appear.

Thanks for your good luck wishes
Old May 29th 2010, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steveandpaula
Can I ask you more questions in a PM? Would you mind?
Yes, please do. Only too glad to help (if I can.) This is a great site to gather encouragement and inspiration.
Old May 29th 2010, 11:52 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Change is scary, some people really don't do well with change. My Dh is one of those, he'll only change things when absolutely necessary and he can't figure any other way of doing things.
It's normal to be wary and have fears, but don't let fear rule.
Then there's some of us who love an adventure and think change is fabulous those who don't like change shouldn't marry us
Good luck with the move and all the nerves.
Old May 30th 2010, 1:27 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Hi

I think that most people have moments that could be classed as 'petrified' when moving country.

I have done the opposite to you and your partner.
Moved to the UK just out of NZ uni, met my OH there, got job, married, had kids and absolutely loved it. Would have stayed there forever quite happily.

But there was a time when we (more my OH than me - I had left there and not looked back) wondered - what is the other side of the world like (NZ in this case). So we moved out and tried it.

Now we are moving back to the UK at some stage. And again there is the feeling of is this is the right decision. I was happy with my lot across in the UK and loved my life and lifestyle.

I am glad that we tried life out in NZ. We can never look back in 30 years and wonder what life would ahve been like if we had just bitten the bullet and tried. Although I am now mightly sick of life on this side of the world and am itching to get back to living again. My OH is not as keen right now (as in tomorrow when I would go - literally) as he is worried about the job front.

But life is for living.
You can always go back to what you have in Australia, but if you don't try something that you are dreaming of, then you will never actually know if it was the dream that you thought, and the one best for you.
Old May 30th 2010, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by salopian
Yes, please do. Only too glad to help (if I can.) This is a great site to gather encouragement and inspiration.
Hi Salopian, would you mind if I PMd you too? In the same boat. Cheers
Old May 30th 2010, 2:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveandpaula
We have decided to move to the UK in September 2011. Im petrified to say the least. Im a UK citizen but never worked or lived there as an adult. My partner is an Australian citizen with British Heritage. He's excited as can be and has the attitude of "she'll be right" but me, all I can think of is all the things that can go wrong and how much we have to lose.
How much do you have to lose? What kind of jobs, housing, family ties, etc. are you leaving behind? Have you got your citizenship so you can come back later?

Some people have a lot to lose by moving if it goes wrong. Others little or none.
Old May 31st 2010, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moonsurfer
Hi Salopian, would you mind if I PMd you too? In the same boat. Cheers
Yeah, no problem.
Old May 31st 2010, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
How much do you have to lose? What kind of jobs, housing, family ties, etc. are you leaving behind? Have you got your citizenship so you can come back later?

Some people have a lot to lose by moving if it goes wrong. Others little or none.
Aint that the truth for a move in any direction really - apart from the citizenship thing of course, us Poms are lucky in that regard that we dont have to give up the magic passport. As with all gambling, you only put down what you are prepared to lose.