Pet Shops

Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Shops

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have never known a good dog breeder to allow a puppy to be sold via a store. A good breeder wants to know what sort of home the dog is going to. Breeders that allow one of their pups to be sold via a store are not IMHO a good breeder...they just want to get rid of the pup and don't care what happens to it. That type of person should not be allowed to breed dogs.

Every breeder I have bought a dog from have had absolutely no trouble in selling their dogs. They interview you to see if you're suitable to take one of their dogs. A good dog breeder will also take their dog back if your circumstances change and you can no longer look after the dog.
This is exactly what my Mum does back home and love's to get photo's of her Pup's in there new homes she always has a waiting list and if she cant help she'll put you in touch with someone that might be able to.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We got our dog from a local pet store (not a chain). He only got there that day. We didn't realise at the time there was such places as puppy mills. We took weeks to decide what breed of dog would be best for us and to research the costs associated with dog ownership, as a dog is for life, not just for Christmas. (He owns us). He has always been a healthy dog and kept upto date on shots. He might have been the runt of the litter as he is smaller than the standard but we don't care. He is getting older now, but is just as lively and loving as when we first got him. When he passes on we plan to get the same breed, but from the breed rescue.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:29 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

I have never known a good dog breeder to allow a puppy to be sold via a store. A good breeder wants to know what sort of home the dog is going to. Breeders that allow one of their pups to be sold via a store are not IMHO a good breeder...they just want to get rid of the pup and don't care what happens to it. That type of person should not be allowed to breed dogs.

Every breeder I have bought a dog from have had absolutely no trouble in selling their dogs. They interview you to see if you're suitable to take one of their dogs. A good dog breeder will also take their dog back if your circumstances change and you can no longer look after the dog.
My mother bred show quality dachshunds, so I'd like to dispute your characteristic tone of overwhelming authority.

Of course we ALWAYS wanted to know about the family and home the dog was going to, but many breeders DO have trouble getting rid of puppies. My mother gave up breeding after we had to walk around a French market town with a wicker basket of puppies to 'advertise.' We then found good homes for all of them, but couldn't charge for some (it was more important for us to find good homes for them than to get paid.)
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
My mother bred show quality dachshunds, so I'd like to dispute your characteristic tone of overwhelming authority.

Of course we ALWAYS wanted to know about the family and home the dog was going to, but many breeders DO have trouble getting rid of puppies. My mother gave up breeding after we had to walk around a French market town with a wicker basket of puppies to 'advertise.' We then found good homes for all of them, but couldn't charge for some (it was more important for us to find good homes for them than to get paid.)
France say no more
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Peacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nice

I had no idea thats what happened to the puppies, i was wondering the same thing as the OP. I never buy from any of the pet store chains.... after getting 2 hamsters on different occasions both died within a few weeks and were very very nervous of people to begin with. We recently had gerbils babies accidently didnt realise we had a male and female, i refused to give them to a pet store due to the conditions and instead have 2 tanks soon to be 3 full of gerbils!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme

I said 'good breeders'...of course there are those that breed not to improve the blood line but for financial gain. It is the latter that normally have a problem finding homes...because they do not have the reputation.

You did say France didn't you? Enough said. I'd just like to add I am not grouping your mum in the latter category...like you said it was France. At least she was more interested in finding good homes for the pups...which is more than can be said for breeders who let them go to pet shops.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

We got a cat from our local pet store (Petco - a chain) - well not actually from the pet store. The shop gives space over to the rescue shelter for them to 'advertise' - there are a few large interconnected cages, with cats - no dogs. You actually have to apply to the shelter to adopt the pet (which is where the cats normally reside) , you can't just buy it from the store.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:36 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pharrya
We got a cat from our local pet store (Petco - a chain) - well not actually from the pet store. The shop gives space over to the rescue shelter for them to 'advertise' - there are a few large interconnected cages, with cats - no dogs. You actually have to apply to the shelter to adopt the pet (which is where the cats normally reside) , you can't just buy it from the store.
That's how the organization I volunteer with does its adoptions. The foster animals are taken to Petco each Saturday where we set up crates for them. People who want to adopt from us (cats AND dogs) have to fill out an application form and (if approved) pay us the adoption fee. Petco just let's us use the location. We also do adoptions on a much smaller scale at PetsMart every other Sunday.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:19 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
That's how the organization I volunteer with does its adoptions. The foster animals are taken to Petco each Saturday where we set up crates for them. People who want to adopt from us (cats AND dogs) have to fill out an application form and (if approved) pay us the adoption fee. Petco just let's us use the location. We also do adoptions on a much smaller scale at PetsMart every other Sunday.
Petsmart is where i was going to adopt from (well the charity is furkids,,,)
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

A good breeder does not sell puppies through a 3rd party...they don't have to they probably have a waiting list for them.
You've got that right!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Actually, they do. The breeders I've known only breed to find the "perfect" show dog...the best of its breed. Unfortunately, they really do not want imperfect ones, as they are not looking for pets but trophies. The dogs that don't show champion qualities get voted off the island.
Reputable breeders I know breed for the love of the animal. They don't discard the 'imperfect' dogs in want of a trophy. But because not every dog fits the AKC standard - most reputable breeders then have "show quality" and "pet quality" animals as a result. There are still waiting lists for pet quality animals.

I'm 100% with JG on this one. (karma sent if I can) Someone earlier said something about 'not everyone can afford $300 for a breeder'. That's likely not a breeder, that's a backyard breeder more than likely (if they are in the paper, online w/puppies available, in a store). Those are NOT the people to support. If someone doesn't want to spend $300 for a puppy, fantastic, go to the shelter or to a rescue group. Then you also contribute to giving a puppy a home that might otherwise be destroyed.

Last edited by Kaffy Mintcake; Jun 20th 2008 at 11:35 pm. Reason: Edited to say - apparently I have to spread JG. Thank you so much for getting it, I wish more did.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pharrya
That's a different matter altogether.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:12 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I'm going to start asking these rescue people if they have any breeds that are noticeably more tender than the others.
Good. I had some in the Philipines once and it was rather tough. Didn't taste anything like chicken either.

Local fast food outlet called it the "Woofer"

Last edited by SagenOnion; Jun 21st 2008 at 12:41 am.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peacefulove
I had no idea thats what happened to the puppies, i was wondering the same thing as the OP. I never buy from any of the pet store chains.... after getting 2 hamsters on different occasions both died within a few weeks and were very very nervous of people to begin with. We recently had gerbils babies accidently didnt realise we had a male and female, i refused to give them to a pet store due to the conditions and instead have 2 tanks soon to be 3 full of gerbils!
I heard that a national chain with stores near me, sometimes fail to identify the gender of their baby rats and consequently people buy one or even a pair to find that they have a pregnant rat on their hands who shortly gives birth a litter of baby rats. Rats can reach sexual maturity at five weeks of age!

So, for me, that's another reason not to buy rats from a pet shop because next time I get some rats, I plan on getting a pair of males.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I heard that a national chain with stores near me, sometimes fail to identify the gender of their baby rats and consequently people buy one or even a pair to find that they have a pregnant rat on their hands who shortly gives birth a litter of baby rats. Rats can reach sexual maturity at five weeks of age!

So, for me, that's another reason not to buy rats from a pet shop because next time I get some rats, I plan on getting a pair of males.
They aren't allowed to be sold till they are at least 6 weeks old...the nuts are hard to miss by that stage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.