Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:17 pm
  #31  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 116
JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

Originally Posted by Rebster View Post
As we were with our dogs (and needed to get to TX ourselves) we rented a car. (Pre-arranged it to have transport meet us as Red Hook cruise terminal and take us to car rental lot as there was no car rental facilities at that terminal.) So we drove with our dogs, cat and luggage to TX. Quite a road trip!

I would seriously suggest calling Cunard to verify yourself what is booked already. You can get added to a list for stand-by so they will notify you if any kennels come available. I found the Cunard personnel to be extremely helpful in planning our trip. We would not hesitate to go that route in the future rather than the stress/danger of flying our dogs in cargo.

Good luck!
Thanks for that Rebster, I had thought about renting a car and driving there. How long did it take you? I really want to go back this way; I think it'll be a lot more comfortable and a great experience, just need to persuade the hubbie that it's a great idea though..
JulieinAustin is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:33 pm
  #32  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 367
USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

Originally Posted by SarahInTX View Post
I flew with two dogs on August 26th last year from Houston to Heathrow on Contintental . . .
You are a genius!!!! Solved! Will post details later
USAGypsies is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:41 am
  #33  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 88
Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin View Post
Thanks for that Rebster, I had thought about renting a car and driving there. How long did it take you? I really want to go back this way; I think it'll be a lot more comfortable and a great experience, just need to persuade the hubbie that it's a great idea though..
We took 3 days but that was with a stopover in North Carolina to visit family. I believe we could have made it in 2 if we had pushed ourselves but we wanted to take our time and treat it as an adventure. It was a nice way for DH to see some of the country that he had never seen on his holidays here. (Who comes from the UK to visit Mississippi??? )

There are many hotel chains that accept pets so it does make it a bit easier. Also if you are planning to rent a car I would highly suggest a minivan. Not glamourous but believe me you will be thankful you did.
Rebster is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:09 pm
  #34  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 116
JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

Originally Posted by Rebster View Post
We took 3 days but that was with a stopover in North Carolina to visit family. I believe we could have made it in 2 if we had pushed ourselves but we wanted to take our time and treat it as an adventure. It was a nice way for DH to see some of the country that he had never seen on his holidays here. (Who comes from the UK to visit Mississippi??? )

There are many hotel chains that accept pets so it does make it a bit easier. Also if you are planning to rent a car I would highly suggest a minivan. Not glamourous but believe me you will be thankful you did.
Thanks for this advice Rebster.. I read this out to my husband and he is slowly coming round to the idea.. I like the idea of taking a road trip for a couple of days before we leave as well.
JulieinAustin is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:09 pm
  #35  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 14
artefactfinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

Hey there,

I just booked with Aer Lingus to fly my cat from Washington DC to Dublin, Ireland. After reading this thread I made sure to ask them about temperatures but they reassured me they fly no matter what. If all else fails perhaps you could fly into Dublin and take another flight from Dublin to wherever you are headed in the UK.

Hope you got it sorted out.
artefactfinder is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:11 pm
  #36  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 116
JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

Originally Posted by USAGypsies View Post
You are a genius!!!! Solved! Will post details later
They appear to be a lot cheaper than BA as well... BA quoted me $1248 approx. for next May; Continental only $859. A bit gutted as I just called Cunard re. the Queen Mary 2 apparently their kennels are already booked up for April, May, June and July 2010 and there isn't even a wait list!!!! Looks like we may take the Continental route as well....
JulieinAustin is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:38 pm
  #37  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 367
USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

So what we are doing is booking our pets in at DFW. Then they will be flying to Houston. They are taken to the kennel facility and given a 'comfort stop'. Fed, watered, walked etc... then back to Houston for the flight to heathrow.

If your pet + cage weighs less than 9lb it is $499.00
If the weight is more then 10lb and up to 50lb it is $659.00

Once the pets arrive at Heathrow a company called PBS international custom clear them. Their fee is seperate but payable upfront to continental. If the pets arrive so that they can be cleared between the hours of 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, they charge $500 for the first animal (its more than $500 but less than $600 - I can't remember the exact figure because I was feeling faint by then!) and $16.00 for the 2nd animal and $16.00 for the 3rd animal.

There is no way we could let any of them go so we're having to re-jig our budget to cover this higher than expected cost. That of course doesn't include the other cost's like the international health certificate, 'fit to fly' letter, tick and tape worm, flea treatments and any other missing vac's. plus 3 kennels as the ones we have are too small for flying (need 3 inch space between the top of their heads and the roof when standing) etc....

But the point is that we CAN get them home, in August from south-central, thank goodness.

Hope this information is helpful.
USAGypsies is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:04 pm
  #38  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 87,005
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

Originally Posted by USAGypsies View Post
So what we are doing is booking our pets in at DFW. Then they will be flying to Houston. They are taken to the kennel facility and given a 'comfort stop'. Fed, watered, walked etc... then back to Houston for the flight to heathrow.

If your pet + cage weighs less than 9lb it is $499.00
If the weight is more then 10lb and up to 50lb it is $659.00

Once the pets arrive at Heathrow a company called PBS international custom clear them. Their fee is seperate but payable upfront to continental. If the pets arrive so that they can be cleared between the hours of 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, they charge $500 for the first animal (its more than $500 but less than $600 - I can't remember the exact figure because I was feeling faint by then!) and $16.00 for the 2nd animal and $16.00 for the 3rd animal.

There is no way we could let any of them go so we're having to re-jig our budget to cover this higher than expected cost. That of course doesn't include the other cost's like the international health certificate, 'fit to fly' letter, tick and tape worm, flea treatments and any other missing vac's. plus 3 kennels as the ones we have are too small for flying (need 3 inch space between the top of their heads and the roof when standing) etc....

But the point is that we CAN get them home, in August from south-central, thank goodness.

Hope this information is helpful.
You've got all the DEFRA stuff covered right?
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:31 pm
  #39  
BE Enthusiast
 
dewdrop's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
Posts: 426
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

good luck with your pets, usagypsies...Our minds can stop spinning soon.

I think we've actually got a rental on hold now...woohoo...not to hijack your post. will PM you later...off to a girls night out tonight...good grief, i sure need it!!!
dewdrop is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2009, 9:27 pm
  #40  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 367
USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
You've got all the DEFRA stuff covered right?
Hey Jerseygirl
I'm praying I'm all set on that. Like so many others I get completely confused bith reading the Defra website and even talking to them of the phone and taking notes messes with my head.
My 2 moggies had their boosters before the original rabies shots expired. I have their titer paperwork and their microchip certs (microchis before the rabies shots of course). The pups 6 calender month from blood draw will be up on the 30th of this month (approx 3 weeks before we fly).
Then I need the international health certificate signed by USDA.
Tick & tape 24/48 before flying.
'Fit to fly' letter for airline.

Please tell me I sound like I know what I'm doing lol have I forgotten anything obvious?
USAGypsies is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2009, 9:28 pm
  #41  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 367
USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

Originally Posted by dewdrop View Post
good luck with your pets, usagypsies...Our minds can stop spinning soon.

I think we've actually got a rental on hold now...woohoo...not to hijack your post. will PM you later...off to a girls night out tonight...good grief, i sure need it!!!
oooooh I hope you had a good night out and had a beer for me
USAGypsies is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:46 pm
  #42  
BE Enthusiast
 
dewdrop's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
Posts: 426
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pet shipping nightmare! BA say 'Too hot to fly'

Originally Posted by USAGypsies View Post
oooooh I hope you had a good night out and had a beer for me

was a good night out!!!tkx...went to see a movie too..."the Ugly Truth" not bad..gerald butler was in it, ahhh!...he's always nice on the eyes
dewdrop is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.