Pet Passport

Old Jun 13th 2011, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pet Passport

Originally Posted by postman62
My boxer dog is booked onto a flight from Canada to the UK a week Saturday and whole thing is turning out to be really stressful, I've just found out that the Third Country Veterinary Certificate has to be endorsed by a government approved vet. I thought I was saving money booking the flight myself, but am now thinking that maybe it would have been better to book through a pet travel agent and save myself all the hassall. The vets that we have been using while in Canada are really unfamiliar with the procedure so I am having to tell what they have to do. I really can't wait for it all to be over and for her to be back in the UK.
where in Canada do you live? as I will have to do the same thing with the Gov approved vet. But our vet has told us how and where we need to do this.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postman62
My boxer dog is booked onto a flight from Canada to the UK a week Saturday and whole thing is turning out to be really stressful, I've just found out that the Third Country Veterinary Certificate has to be endorsed by a government approved vet. I thought I was saving money booking the flight myself, but am now thinking that maybe it would have been better to book through a pet travel agent and save myself all the hassall. The vets that we have been using while in Canada are really unfamiliar with the procedure so I am having to tell what they have to do. I really can't wait for it all to be over and for her to be back in the UK.
If you live in Calgary, contact Boomerang they may be able to check all your paperwork for a fee. We used Boomerang to transport out dog back to the UK and it all went completely smoothly and although the overall cost was eye wateringly expensive (Air Canada Cargo .....) their fee was at the end of the day quite reasonable for the amount of worry it saved.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:57 am
Just Joined

MikeSS is on a distinguished road

As posted above, there are a couple of differences between a Pet Passport and a Third Country Health certificate. A Pet Passport will only be issued within the EU, and should only be issued if the pet complies with the Pet Travel Scheme. Once completed, it is valid as long as the rabies vaccination is up-to-date without any gaps between vaccinations. Even a day's gap will result in quarantine on arrival in the UK.

A Third Country Health Certificate can be issued outside the EU, and has gaps on it for all the important information to comply with the Pet Travel Scheme. This gets filled out by your vet then MUST be endorsed by the "competent" authority- whilst your vet may be approved, the endorsement comes from the CFIA- you'll need to find the nearest office to you. If you don't get the form endorsed then the pet will need to be issued a passport on arrival, but this is MUCH more expensive than getting it done once you're settled in the UK.

If you're worried about your paperwork you could ask the customs clearance agent in the UK to advise you on it- they see the paperwork all the time. You'll need to have a clearance agent in the UK to do the running around with the paperwork on arrival and sort things out with customs. Most airlines have their own agents that they use