Pet Passport

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:18 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Passport

Originally Posted by Scout
We have discussed this too. I would love if you would post anything you find out here. I really dread shipping my dog in cargo. She's nine years old and I know it's all going to be very traumatic for her.

Cheers,

Leslie
Hi Leslie.
My Cocoa is 9 years old . He will be 10 in October (about the time we leave). and hes also a very nervous thing. Literally scared to death of loud noises! It worries me about the stress it will cause him in cargo. I havent heard back from Cunard yet but I e-mailed DEFRA just a little while ago to make sure. I am waiting to hear from them as well and I will post my findings.
I sure am glad I am not the only one that feels this way!
calle
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

jackpetj is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently moved back from Texas with our Welsh Springer (2yr old from NY)
It is useful to find a vet with some prior knowledge of the pet passport scheme. Living in Houston with a large expat community we found an excellent vet without too much trouble. Once they have experienced at least one successful application and shipment they should be reliable.
One crucial thing is to get the worm shot withn 24 hrs of travelling.
We flew with Continental who provided a superb service and were able to give good advice in their own right (try Continental in Houston as they are very experienced - they even have an air conditioned pet area so they can ship throughout the year without the problem of temperature restrictions).
We picked our dog up at Gatwick and were concerned about how he coped - he was so laid back it wasn't true. I'm sure he slept the entire journey and had a better trip than we did!
Good luck!
Rgds
PJ
Old Feb 8th 2005, 2:49 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Just to let you know that I flew my dogs and cat over from the UK to Canada in December. One dog is 2 years old and the other is 12 years old, and both loved being at the airport and getting all the attention as they were allowed to walk around on leads right up until they went to board. When I went to board the plane, my dogs were waiting in their kennels just about to be loaded on and they saw me and looked perfectly happy. When I collected them in Toronto baggage hall they were completely unperturbed by what they had just been through........so it is not true that they are all affected by it. Even my cat who is scared to go outside was perfectly happy with life in her little skykennel.

Just one other pointer about taking your dog into the UK, I guess you already know that you have to have the blood tests done 6 months before you are issued with the passports. If under 6 months then your dog will have to stay in quarantine in the UK for 6 months.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Just one other pointer about taking your dog into the UK, I guess you already know that you have to have the blood tests done 6 months before you are issued with the passports. If under 6 months then your dog will have to stay in quarantine in the UK for 6 months.
Really? I thought they just had to wait out the remaining time - so if they are 4 months into the Pet Passport process, they are quarantined for 2 months ... anyone have experience of this?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 2:57 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let you know that I flew my dogs and cat over from the UK to Canada in December. One dog is 2 years old and the other is 12 years old, and both loved being at the airport and getting all the attention as they were allowed to walk around on leads right up until they went to board. When I went to board the plane, my dogs were waiting in their kennels just about to be loaded on and they saw me and looked perfectly happy. When I collected them in Toronto baggage hall they were completely unperturbed by what they had just been through........so it is not true that they are all affected by it. Even my cat who is scared to go outside was perfectly happy with life in her little skykennel.

Thanks for that Tiaribbon. I need to hear reassuring stories.
An update to those interested in sailing...
I spoke to someone at Cunard They are equipped and able to transport pets to the UK. They have kennels and cost $500.00 for dogs and $300.00 for cats. they are walked regularly and you may visit whenever but you are not allowed to take them back to your cabin. But... I spoke to someone at DEFRA. they are not an official route YET. If and when that changes they will notify me.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Really? I thought they just had to wait out the remaining time - so if they are 4 months into the Pet Passport process, they are quarantined for 2 months ... anyone have experience of this?

from the defra site it says exactly what you said......6 months and if you return after 5 then the pet has to do his time in quarantine but only the final month
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:04 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Yes it is the remaining time in quarantine, didn't realise you were already 4 months into the process - sorry I didn't mean to freak you out, it was just bad wording on my part.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is the remaining time in quarantine, didn't realise you were already 4 months into the process - sorry I didn't mean to freak you out, it was just bad wording on my part.
No you're OK, I didn't even start yet - I was just thinking that others on the board were partway through the process. My "4 months in" was just an example.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:04 am
Premium Member

No you're OK, I didn't even start yet - I was just thinking that others on the board were partway through the process. My "4 months in" was just an example.
You aren't from Scotland or Yorkshire by any chance? Something in the way you wrote that post stirs fond memories, LOL!!

Anyway I shouldn't worry too much about your animals flying. My 2 year old is an incredibly hyper Springer x Collie and my 12 year old is an arthritic, geriatric Border Collie and my cat is agrophobic.............and all of them travelled with no problems. I even flew my pony over and she suffered no ill effects either. I was the most worried person in the world before I did it, but it was so uneventful that I would have absolutely no hesitation in flying them elsewhere if need be. Please don't worry everyone.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:48 am
Ping-ponger

You aren't from Scotland or Yorkshire by any chance? Something in the way you wrote that post stirs fond memories, LOL!!

Anyway I shouldn't worry too much about your animals flying. My 2 year old is an incredibly hyper Springer x Collie and my 12 year old is an arthritic, geriatric Border Collie and my cat is agrophobic.............and all of them travelled with no problems. I even flew my pony over and she suffered no ill effects either. I was the most worried person in the world before I did it, but it was so uneventful that I would have absolutely no hesitation in flying them elsewhere if need be. Please don't worry everyone.
Actually, I was in Glasgow for all of 2000, but originally from Birmingham (or should I say "Buuuuurmingham"). Loved every day of that year. My dog must have covered thousands of miles of Scottish hillsides in just 6 months.

Suzy (my dog) has been across the Atlantic twice already, with no probs. First time, she went through 6 months quarantine at Milton SPCA (Glasgow), got through the process with flying colors. But I'd never do it again - too much stress for ME! Before I go back for good I'll have the whole Pet Passport thing sorted out.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:57 am
Premium Member

Actually, I was in Glasgow for all of 2000, but originally from Birmingham (or should I say "Buuuuurmingham"). Loved every day of that year. My dog must have covered thousands of miles of Scottish hillsides in just 6 months.

Suzy (my dog) has been across the Atlantic twice already, with no probs. First time, she went through 6 months quarantine at Milton SPCA (Glasgow), got through the process with flying colors. But I'd never do it again - too much stress for ME! Before I go back for good I'll have the whole Pet Passport thing sorted out.
Yes quite right. I have no intention of ever returning to the UK however I will always keep my pets' passports up and running just in case!!

I originally come from just outside of Edinburgh, but haven't lived there for over 20 years, still noticed that you have a tiny twang from there from your year. Where are you hoping to settle once you get back? And why are you leaving this side of the pond?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:23 am
Ping-ponger

Yes quite right. I have no intention of ever returning to the UK however I will always keep my pets' passports up and running just in case!!

I originally come from just outside of Edinburgh, but haven't lived there for over 20 years, still noticed that you have a tiny twang from there from your year. Where are you hoping to settle once you get back? And why are you leaving this side of the pond?
I'd like to be back in Scotland as I really liked it there last time. The Glasgow area would definitely suit me again, though Dundee is another option (I'm pretty restricted to towns with universities that have a department in my subject area).

I'm going back because I accomplished what I came here for, professionally. I'd have stayed there in 2000, but the job I interviewed for ended up being a very different reality when I got there. I had the opportunity to take the job I now have in NC, and took it while I had the chance. I love my job here and have accomplished a lot in 4 years, but it just isn't home. I'll likely head back next summer (as INS will be kicking me out around about then anyway!) I know Suzy will be grateful - she went from having the Scottish hills as her back yard to, well, my back yard (and a very small wooded area in my neighborhood). I know she'll go wild to run free again.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:43 am
Premium Member

I'd like to be back in Scotland as I really liked it there last time. The Glasgow area would definitely suit me again, though Dundee is another option (I'm pretty restricted to towns with universities that have a department in my subject area).

I'm going back because I accomplished what I came here for, professionally. I'd have stayed there in 2000, but the job I interviewed for ended up being a very different reality when I got there. I had the opportunity to take the job I now have in NC, and took it while I had the chance. I love my job here and have accomplished a lot in 4 years, but it just isn't home. I'll likely head back next summer (as INS will be kicking me out around about then anyway!) I know Suzy will be grateful - she went from having the Scottish hills as her back yard to, well, my back yard (and a very small wooded area in my neighborhood). I know she'll go wild to run free again.
Aww sounds like you are both ready to go back. How nice to move with nice memories of both the place you are leaving and the place you are moving on to. I wish you well - and Suzy will have a blast back in Scotland, I used to have a dog when I lived in the States and they don't really have this dog ownership thing right IMO. My UK dogs have grown up in pubs.............a far cry from the healthy fresh air life they lead here on our farm in Canada, LOL!!

Hope your move goes smoothly and that you enjoy being back.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:49 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Pet Passport

Here's the list of approved airlines and airports in the US where pets can be transported back to the UK:

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/index.asp?i=111

(There is also a seperate list for charter airlines but unless you're a mega-rich celebrity I guess you won't be paying to charter your own plane LOL!)

Calle!!! I noticed that Britannia Airways transports pets from that less busy airport in Orlando (Sanford) which I guess mostly caters to Brits and people on package tours going to visit Disney. Perhaps you can check out their restrictions and prices if you haven't already booked and paid for flights with Virgin Atlantic?

http://www.britanniaairways.com/Spla...TOKEN=61165867

Last edited by Englishmum; Feb 11th 2005 at 8:55 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:17 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Here's the list of approved airlines and airports in the US where pets can be transported back to the UK:

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/index.asp?i=111

(There is also a seperate list for charter airlines but unless you're a mega-rich celebrity I guess you won't be paying to charter your own plane LOL!)

Calle!!! I noticed that Britannia Airways transports pets from that less busy airport in Orlando (Sanford) which I guess mostly caters to Brits and people on package tours going to visit Disney. Perhaps you can check out their restrictions and prices if you haven't already booked and paid for flights with Virgin Atlantic?

http://www.britanniaairways.com/Spla...TOKEN=61165867
Hi Englishmum!
Yes I saw that on the approved flights. I just havent been able to find anyone who has flown with Brittania and just want to get some knowledge of how they treat pets. It certainly would be easier. Sanford is about 20 or 30 minutes closer and its quieter I'm sure than Orlando. And they fly into Manchester which would be closer to the Midlands than Heathrow or Gatwick. If you know of anybody that has flown pets with them could you please find out how they liked them?
I wont be booking the flights for a few months yet. So it still gives me some time to try to find out more. Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.