Pet Insurance

Old Sep 17th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pet Insurance

After putting off buying a pet until we got our green cards we are now ready to buy a dog. We have spent the last couple of months looking at loads and loads of rescue dogs but have finally decided to buy an AKC registered Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy.

I have looked at various pet insurance websites and they all seem to offer similar coverage and prices. Can anyone recommend a particularly good insurance company?

Thanks
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:00 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Insurance

http://www.petinsurance.com/

seem to be okay for our rabble
Old Sep 17th 2007, 5:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
After putting off buying a pet until we got our green cards we are now ready to buy a dog. We have spent the last couple of months looking at loads and loads of rescue dogs but have finally decided to buy an AKC registered Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy.

I have looked at various pet insurance websites and they all seem to offer similar coverage and prices. Can anyone recommend a particularly good insurance company?

Thanks
Good idea. I can't recommend a particular company, but I would advise you go with a mid-range coverage, for major medical care only, with a moderately sized deductible. The last policy I had was very comprehensive (about $60 pcm, I think), covering preventive care, etc. I found that keeping track of all the receipts for her dental cleaning, vaccinations, and other routine preventive care was just a chore. There wasn't a single year her health care costs came to more than the $720 I paid in premiums. If I were to have a do-over, I'd rather pay for a policy that will cover the several thousand for a major illness or imjury and cover the routine and small claims myself.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice.

Can't wait for the puppy to join the family.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Have you made sure that your dog is legal where you will be living? Not trying to be a gloomy gus - but the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is considered a "pit bull" by many. It's illegal to have one within our city limits, and I don't think that's unusual.

I'd just hate for you to find out that you couldn't have this breed after you had committed to it. If you're already aware of the laws, etc. then disregard my post.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KJ2007
but the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is considered a "pit bull" by many.
That quote makes my blood boil. Breed specific bans are pretty rare in the US.

I have done extensive research on what dog to get over here and, after owning a female Staffie in England, we have finally decided to get another one.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

That quote makes my blood boil. Breed specific bans are pretty rare in the US.

I have done extensive research on what dog to get over here and, after owning a female Staffie in England, we have finally decided to get another one.
My intent is not to make your blood boil, not at all, and I'm not judging your choice of breed. I simply didn't know how thoroughly you'd looked into it, and thought perhaps the laws were different in the UK vs. the US and was trying to help. That breed is banned in my city - I'm positive of that - and I would hate for you to have problems assuming there wouldn't be a problem.

Not saying the ban is right, just trying to help.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your input earlier today, it did make me double check the laws and I could only find a handful of places in the US where certain breeds are banned.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input earlier today, it did make me double check the laws and I could only find a handful of places in the US where certain breeds are banned.
Check with your local council if you are required to have insurance for that particular breed...if so try to get some idea of costs. I've heard dogs like Shepherds, Dobermans etc are extremely expensive to insure.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good - not something you'd want to have to deal with. That would be awful. Some bad people have treated some dogs poorly and this is the result I'm afraid. I have a co-worker right now who rescued some stray puppies who are considered to be a pit mix. She contacted the local shelter and they would automatically put these pups down - so she's holding onto them trying to find them homes herself. Tragic. I hope it works out.