Wikiposts

Pet Health Insurance.

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pet Health Insurance.

Originally Posted by jmood
Sorry to those of you who had pet losses this year. My 18 year old died late this summer and I'm still not over it.

Penguinbar, when I first brought my cat over here, she had an insurance, I did get about 80% reimbursed for the first cancer operation she had, which was good. Each condition had a "cap" though. However 2 things:

-Pet insurance does not cover pets over the age of 13 (I think, can't remember exactly)

-If you want your pet to get the "best" medical treatment no matter what, you have to ignore the insurance. Unfortunately veterinary medicine is much much behind human medicine which means so is insurance

Good luck and best of health to all the pets...
The age and monetary limit may be true in the US, but some of the better UK pet policies can be very good and can insure the pet for life if the premiums are kept up, and some pay up to £7,500 per year per condition.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Hope the US catches up someday.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:45 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I went with Healthy Paws. They have no cap and unlimited lifetime benefits. My cat is only 2. It will cost me $25 month with a $50 deductible per year and 90% reimbursement They don't cover basic checkups or shots but that's not what I'm concerned about. Pet insurance will cover pets over the age of 13 if you start them earlier than that.

I gave my cat the best medical treatment that she could have gotten. I had used the same vet since 1989 and he told me Molly was in really bad shape and she was suffering. I would have maxed out every credit card I had if it meant saving her life.

We just used a very nice vet at the ASPCA to get blood urine and fecal tests to make sure Denney was healthy. This was before the insurance kicked in. I then found out that my husband gets a 50% employee discount there which just saved us a few hundred dollars in testing. I just want Denney to be happy and healthy!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

All the best for a long happy healthy life for Denney! Love the name Healthy Paws btw cute isn't it?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:17 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Stories of lost pets are so very tragic and we've had our fair share of misfortune over the years:

Our first, "Muffin" was a white and orange short hair (one of a litter of 6 from next door). She got outside one hot summer day. I ran over her with the lawnmower and had to shovel up the remains so the Mrs wouldn't see.
After a while we decided to get another and "Tea-leaf" (he was peppery-black and white) was with us for a while before a stray dog made its way into our yard. The stray was caught by animal control but we never saw T-L again. Well, not all of him in one place, anyway.
Needless to say, when we got another companion-cat "Kermit", we were a bit concerned about his safety, so he became an indoor cat. He'd sleep on our bed, play with my socks and be especially fond of warm cheese on crackers. That was until we had a party and someone left the microwave open. My nephew (who was 5 and didn't know any better) pressed the wrong buttons. Sadly, my Mrs hasn't touched a Ritz since then and little Eric had to have therapy. We sold the oven on craigslist.
After that, it got pretty bad, I'm afraid.
"Snowflake" was drowned by a Gypsy, "Harold" got lost in the walls during some home remodeling. "Blob" had a run-in with a falling tree and "Eric" spontaneously combusted one night whilst we were watching TV. "Norman Tebbit" went airborne and exploded one July along with three boxes of fireworks.
It went on like this for a while.
16 cats later and we have had a tom for the last 2 whole years. He's called "Fluff" and only has three legs. He had four to begin with, but now has three. Seeing as its rather unlikely that he will get into more trouble due to his reduced agility, we think he'll live to a ripe old age. That and he can't see too well with the one eye and of course his lack of a tail stops his naughty gymnastics.

So, basically, I'd suggest to anyone contemplating pet insurance that it really depends upon the sort of animal you have. Dogs - a good idea, Cats - probably not really.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Stories of lost pets are so very tragic and we've had our fair share of misfortune over the years:

Our first, "Muffin" was a white and orange short hair (one of a litter of 6 from next door). She got outside one hot summer day. I ran over her with the lawnmower and had to shovel up the remains so the Mrs wouldn't see.
After a while we decided to get another and "Tea-leaf" (he was peppery-black and white) was with us for a while before a stray dog made its way into our yard. The stray was caught by animal control but we never saw T-L again. Well, not all of him in one place, anyway.
Needless to say, when we got another companion-cat "Kermit", we were a bit concerned about his safety, so he became an indoor cat. He'd sleep on our bed, play with my socks and be especially fond of warm cheese on crackers. That was until we had a party and someone left the microwave open. My nephew (who was 5 and didn't know any better) pressed the wrong buttons. Sadly, my Mrs hasn't touched a Ritz since then and little Eric had to have therapy. We sold the oven on craigslist.
After that, it got pretty bad, I'm afraid.
"Snowflake" was drowned by a Gypsy, "Harold" got lost in the walls during some home remodeling. "Blob" had a run-in with a falling tree and "Eric" spontaneously combusted one night whilst we were watching TV. "Norman Tebbit" went airborne and exploded one July along with three boxes of fireworks.
It went on like this for a while.
16 cats later and we have had a tom for the last 2 whole years. He's called "Fluff" and only has three legs. He had four to begin with, but now has three. Seeing as its rather unlikely that he will get into more trouble due to his reduced agility, we think he'll live to a ripe old age. That and he can't see too well with the one eye and of course his lack of a tail stops his naughty gymnastics.

So, basically, I'd suggest to anyone contemplating pet insurance that it really depends upon the sort of animal you have. Dogs - a good idea, Cats - probably not really.

You missed out the story about your wife...very tragic that was. Was there a cat involved in that too?

Edit: for those that missed out on this tragic episode of your life...why don't you post the details again?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 4th 2012 at 7:56 am.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:00 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
All the best for a long happy healthy life for Denney! Love the name Healthy Paws btw cute isn't it?
Thank you so much!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

The age and monetary limit may be true in the US, but some of the better UK pet policies can be very good and can insure the pet for life if the premiums are kept up, and some pay up to £7,500 per year per condition.
Maybe too good....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/pe...e-payouts.html
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:32 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

My kitty has www.gopetplan.com I think it maybe a wee bit cheaper then healthy paws...I did have to use it last year he got a abscess and they coughed up within a week of submitting the claim

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jan 5th 2012 at 12:35 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

You missed out the story about your wife...very tragic that was. Was there a cat involved in that too?

Edit: for those that missed out on this tragic episode of your life...why don't you post the details again?
Surely he was making the whole thing up... ??
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
My kitty has www.gopetplan.com I think it maybe a wee bit cheaper then healthy paws...I did have to use it last year he got a abscess and they coughed up within a week of submitting the claim
I looked into that plan as well. HealthyPaws has no caps so thats part of the reason I chose them after such a bad experiense with VPI.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:16 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I looked into that plan as well. HealthyPaws has no caps so thats part of the reason I chose them after such a bad experiense with VPI.
Well at least you now have peace of mind
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
God how sick
Old Jan 6th 2012, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Well at least you now have peace of mind
About this anyway! There are always other issues to worry about unfortunately!
Love the new avatar Poppy!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 3:56 am

God how sick
I agree

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.