Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pet fees upon landing in UK

Pet fees upon landing in UK

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet fees upon landing in UK

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Plus the aforementioned fit-to-fly document, and/or anything else requested by your airline, this looks fine.

Be sure to photocopy the whole dossier and keep the duplicate in your hand luggage! As lgabriel73 says, the original papers will be attached to the animals' crates; they're stuck on pretty firmly, but it doesn't hurt to have an extra set.
Yes, great idea to have a copy of all this with me after all this preparation. Actually, it really isn't bad at all once you understand the process and what is required. It's like uncovering some huge secret lol!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I called Extrordinair at Edinburgh Airport and Pets on Jets at Manchester Airport today. Here is what they told me - which may be useful for others, too:

United Airlines - airline will build ALL fees into price of ticket. Everything paid up front at time of booking. Nothing whatsoever to be paid on arrival at Edinburgh Airport.

Lufthansa - Airline does not build in fees with price of ticket. Amount due on arrival for two dogs is 403 GBP ($685 at today's rate). This includes 220 for first dog, 75 for second, 33 for handling and 75 for customs. Nothing else is due. Lufthansa is approved to fly pets into Edinburgh Airport.

What United had told me about using a broker (PBS) and having to pay the broker $700 plus landing fees was total garbage. Extrordinair told me that United is having a bad month with the information they are giving people.

Pets on Jets at Manchester Airport:

United Airlines - all fees paid up front before leaving the US. Nothing more due on arrival in the UK. (This is the same as for Edinburgh Airport).

Lufthansa - Not approved to fly pets into Manchester. This conflicts with what Lufthansa told me.

(Last week United quoted $659 to fly each of my dogs. If the landing fees are supposed to be built into the ticket price at the time of booking, this seems a bit low, I think. I DO hope they get it right when I call back because I need to book!)

Last edited by windsong; Jun 23rd 2014 at 4:15 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute

You've accomplished a lot today, that's great. All the airline companies seemed to have led you a merry dance, and it must have been very worrying and stressful trying to sort out the correct from the incorrect. I do hope that now things are clearer regarding your dogs' journey that you will be feeling even more excited about returning to the country you love. If it was me, I would be feeling fretful about all the arrangements to be made, especially as you appear to have to be making them all by yourself.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by greenlane
You've accomplished a lot today, that's great. All the airline companies seemed to have led you a merry dance, and it must have been very worrying and stressful trying to sort out the correct from the incorrect. I do hope that now things are clearer regarding your dogs' journey that you will be feeling even more excited about returning to the country you love. If it was me, I would be feeling fretful about all the arrangements to be made, especially as you appear to have to be making them all by yourself.
Stressful indeed.! I think I have a good handle on what is required for the pets now, so it's been worth it. The airlines really should get their act together a bit better than they do, though.

I know I am living on my nerves at the moment but it is to be expected with trying to do all this in just over three weeks. I suspect my departure date is going to slide a few days because I am still waiting for some information from airlines and a few other sources before I can book! It's okay, though.

The only way I can do this in such a short time is to stay focused and do something towards the goal each day, filter good info from bad and drown out all the background noise.

I am sure I will crash at the end of it - but what a great country to crash in.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute

And it will be summer when you arrive or, if it does slide a little bit, autumn - with the long days and the weather still very nice indeed. I am sure you are getting excited about the move, even it seems daunting at the mo - just hope the airlines cooperate nicely and smooth out the doggy details for you.

Just don't run yourself into the ground, lots of sleep and just focus on the positive....but you know that.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

We leave in just under two weeks. Flights booked for me and the pets. Paperwork is almost complete and will be sent to USDA for pre-approval - as well as Extrordinair in Edinburgh before departure. I am assuming that if Extrordinair pre-approves the paperwork that it will be okay when looked at on arrival, too.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by windsong
We leave in just under two weeks. Flights booked for me and the pets. Paperwork is almost complete and will be sent to USDA for pre-approval - as well as Extrordinair in Edinburgh before departure. I am assuming that if Extrordinair pre-approves the paperwork that it will be okay when looked at on arrival, too.
Well done you! All arranged and rarin' to go! It must be a great feeling of relief that the flights are booked and I hope everything falls into place smoothly for the remainder of your travel arrangements.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
How exciting for you. Now you will probably go into mass panic mode but don't worry everything will fall into place just make sure you have your to do lists at the ready.

Extrordinair doesn't pre approve the paperwork they will simply check it to make sure that it is correct and will let you know if there are things that you are missing. It doesn't guarantee approval once you land but its a good way to make sure you don't miss anything.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold

We have just booked our dog on Thai Airlines pet transport scheme from auckland nz to Heathrow it cost 1500 pounds and landing fee is included.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
How exciting for you. Now you will probably go into mass panic mode but don't worry everything will fall into place just make sure you have your to do lists at the ready.

Extrordinair doesn't pre approve the paperwork they will simply check it to make sure that it is correct and will let you know if there are things that you are missing. It doesn't guarantee approval once you land but its a good way to make sure you don't miss anything.
Yes, I am entering that mass panic mode already, I think. I am also beginning to see the things I will miss from the USA. All I have to do, though, is think of what is waiting for me in the UK and the realization that I am so close to the European continent and I then realize what I am leaving behind is not so great.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold

And the USA is not going anywhere , you can go back, all be it costly, but it's always going to be there. Think about us folk down under, we often say it must be great to be just one 12 hour flight away, instead of the 30 hour haul we have to do. Think of the up sides ....it will get u through� ����
Old Jul 4th 2014, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kiwibrit101
And the USA is not going anywhere , you can go back, all be it costly, but it's always going to be there. Think about us folk down under, we often say it must be great to be just one 12 hour flight away, instead of the 30 hour haul we have to do. Think of the up sides ....it will get u through������
Yes, I can always go back. Truthfully, though, I think when I am settled, I won't want to go back at all. I know I am returning to a beautiful country. Even so, it is an adjustment. I am in my last 10 days here now and beginning to say goodbye to many things, seeing certain things for the last time . . .

One thing I find on my mind is the size of the rooms in the UK. I wonder how long it takes to get used to that.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of you and hoping all goes well..
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by morayeel
Thinking of you and hoping all goes well..
Thank you, Morayeel. Honestly, I didn't expect to feel such panic, though. It's not so much panic and more a feeling of "Am I totally insane? Am I doing the right thing?" Deep down, I know I am. I am just not looking forward to the adjustment. I know there will be things from here I will miss as soon as I get there and I will feel so far away from them. I envision myself waking one morning when over in the UK and thinking I am in the USA and then panicking when I realize I am not. I am also not going back in the same era or in the same circumstances as when I left. If I had family there, I would feel SO much better!

Definitely NOT looking forward to the smaller rooms over there. It has me pondering the housing situation in general.

And then there is how ever long it takes to get a job there, too! Eek!

Last edited by windsong; Jul 6th 2014 at 3:25 am.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Windsong - I'd think it's only natural that you are feeling shaky at this point - you've booked your flight and sorted out the requirements for your dogs' travel needs; you've found somewhere to stay in Scotland when you arrive; you've done a lot of research on the workings of the present-day UK.

Now perhaps is a good time to take a deep breath and look ahead with enthusiasm and not let sadness of leaving the US take over....it will always be there and you can always return. But I think you are going to enjoy being 'at home' so much that you won't have time to feel miserable. Naturally there will be times when things don't go according to plan and which might make you feel grumpy and fed up, but there will be happy times too. Yes, it would be nice if there was family to greet you, but you will soon make friends (and anyway, you have tons of friends on here). Just think, you will be landing in the middle of summer and so will be able to go outside a lot, taking the dogs for a walk, meeting people that way, the evenings nice and long. Be happy and pleased that you are brave and able to make this change in your life.....so many can't for many reasons (me included) - so settle in there and enjoy life, for all of us who are unable to make the choice to return home.

PS....I honestly don't think room sizes will turn out to be a big factor....not unless you purchase enormous pieces of furniture and a giant TV...plus smaller rooms are so much easier to heat (it being Scotland and all...!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.