Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pet fees upon landing in UK

Pet fees upon landing in UK

Old Jun 19th 2014, 1:39 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet fees upon landing in UK

The pet mover company I'm using has asked for documentation in addition to the forms. The first is a letter from the vet for each cat confirming that it has been vaccinated and giving the make and type of vaccine and period of immunisation. The second letter is after the examination confirming that the animal is fit to fly (within 10 days of travel). It might be a good idea to get your vet to do similar letters for yours.

And also have the documentation for the chip. My vet was putting the wrong microchip number on the forms -- so check it.

Last edited by Editha; Jun 19th 2014 at 1:40 am. Reason: adding
Old Jun 19th 2014, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
The pet mover company I'm using has asked for documentation in addition to the forms. The first is a letter from the vet for each cat confirming that it has been vaccinated and giving the make and type of vaccine and period of immunisation. The second letter is after the examination confirming that the animal is fit to fly (within 10 days of travel). It might be a good idea to get your vet to do similar letters for yours.

And also have the documentation for the chip. My vet was putting the wrong microchip number on the forms -- so check it.
Thanks, Editha. Those letters are a good idea. I have the rabies vaccination certificates and I have the paper cover that the chips were in - it states they are ISO compliant, but that's all I have for the chips. I will ask him if there is anything else I should have for the chips.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 1:57 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

You have to allow time after the 21 days for the APHIS office to sign off on your paperwork.

You must travel within 10 days of the date of that signature.

Your local vet must also tapeworm treat the dogs within five days of your departure.

So it is most unlikely you can fly out on the 23rd day.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 1:58 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
That doesn't sound right to me.

First of all there are two forms-- the EU import form and the Health Certificate. You will find links to the American versions of both here:

USDA - APHIS - Regulations and Assessments

Look at the bottom of the page.

You will also need the vaccination certificates.
Isn't the Health Certificate a Canadian requirment?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
You have to allow time after the 21 days for the APHIS office to sign off on your paperwork.

You must travel within 10 days of the date of that signature.

Your local vet must also tapeworm treat the dogs within five days of your departure.

So it is most unlikely you can fly out on the 23rd day.
It might be possible . . . let's see if this will work:

- 20th or 21st day - vet does tapeworm treatment and same day gives me the paperwork to take to APHIS

- 22nd day - APHIS signs paperwork

- Fly out on 23rd or 24th day

This all assumes there is no weekend in between which I need to check.

Or am I missing something here?

Last edited by windsong; Jun 19th 2014 at 3:00 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Isn't the Health Certificate a Canadian requirment?
The APHIS site talks about a health certificate here:

USDA - APHIS - Regulations and Assessments

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page to where it says "Pet Dogs/Cats/ Ferrets - Health Certificate (Movement of 5 or less non-commercial animals) "
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Thanks, Editha. Those letters are a good idea. I have the rabies vaccination certificates and I have the paper cover that the chips were in - it states they are ISO compliant, but that's all I have for the chips. I will ask him if there is anything else I should have for the chips.
The microchip number must be on the rabies certificate, and you should get your vet to write a letter that states that the chips were implanted prior to the rabies vaccination.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

It might be possible . . . let's see if this will work:

- 20th or 21st day - vet does tapeworm treatment and same day gives me the paperwork to take to APHIS

- 22nd day - APHIS signs paperwork

- Fly out on 23rd or 24th day

This all assumes there is no weekend in between which I need to check.

Or am I missing something here?
You can get APHIS to sign the paperwork before the tapeworm treatment, its much easier that way. Get the paperwork from your vet take it to APHIS then have your vet do the tapeworm and sign on the certificate between 1-5 days before travel. APHIS don't need to see that the tapeworm was done in order to sign the health certificate.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
The microchip number must be on the rabies certificate, and you should get your vet to write a letter that states that the chips were implanted prior to the rabies vaccination.
I have the rabies certificates for both dogs but there are no microchip numbers on them. I wonder why it is necessary for these numbers to be on the rabies certificates.

I will have him write a letter to say the chips were implanted prior to the vaccination. I assume this is a "just in case" letter and not so much a DEFRA/APHIS requirement. Right?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

I talked to the USDA/APHIS office in town today. I thought you could fly AFTER 21 days after the rabies vaccination. They told me you can't get the health certificate until 21 days after the vaccination, so assuming I get the health certificate on the 22nd day I think I am eligible to fly on the 23rd day after the vaccination - or later.

They also told me the tapeworm treatment can be done before OR after the health certificate is issued and that they would endorse the certificate anyway. The tapeworm treatment has to be given in the last five days before travel apparently.

Health certificate is only valid for 10 days.

Does this agree with what everyone else has been told?
they won't give you the health certificate until 21 days has passed so you could get the health certificate on day 22 and then you have 10 days during which you can fly. Have you checked about whether they have appointments for the health certificate signing or if they only accept them by mail? Each office does it differently and this could actually affect when you are able to fly.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have the rabies certificates for both dogs but there are no microchip numbers on them. I wonder why it is necessary for these numbers to be on the rabies certificates.

I will have him write a letter to say the chips were implanted prior to the vaccination. I assume this is a "just in case" letter and not so much a DEFRA/APHIS requirement. Right?
Its to prove that the rabies shot was actually given to the dog with the microchip number. The chip number is the ID for your dog and all documentation has to prove that the dog with this number was given the required treatment. If it is not on your rabies certificate then you WILL have to have the letter proving that the microchip was implanted before the rabies shot was given. If you don't get this letter they will not fly your dogs.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
they won't give you the health certificate until 21 days has passed so you could get the health certificate on day 22 and then you have 10 days during which you can fly. Have you checked about whether they have appointments for the health certificate signing or if they only accept them by mail? Each office does it differently and this could actually affect when you are able to fly.
So if I get the health certificate signed on day 22 and let's say the vet does the tapeworm treatment on day 21 or 23, then I have four days AFTER the tapeworm treatment in which to fly - and within 10 days of the certificate being signed by APHIS.

Is this correct?

I should buy ticklets tomorrow so I need to get these dates correct.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

why bother having the tapeworm done before the certificate is signed? Get the cert signed then do the tapeworm a couple of days before you leave. You really need to get the flights booked before you can plan it out. Much easier when you can do it by calendar date. If you are planning to leave within 3 weeks and don't have flights for the dogs or yourself you may find that your plans have to change. Get the flights booked and then work out from there what needs to be done on what date.

Oh and don't forget that your airline will have paperwork requirements too that need to be completed separate to the DEFRA paperwork.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Do you an option of using the airlines' boarding facility windsong? When I flew over to the UK last Sept with our 2 cats, this is what I had to do.

I used United, and was flying into Edinburgh, so the cats had to go through Newark as the 'gateway' city per DEFRA requirements. So I had to drive about 4 hours to another domestic city in order to get them on a pet friendly flight to Newark (apparently my local airport did not have any flights that would/could handle pets). They then stayed overnight in boarding facilities coordinated through United. The following day, my flight left my local airport and I joined them in Newark. So I was on the same transatlantic flight to Edinburgh as them. Hope that explanation made sense. There was an additional fee for the boarding of course.

The other options were as you said, that I would have to coordinate a hotel room, and stay overnight in a gateway city and then drive them to that airport's cargo facility. There was no way I could have handled that.

We were pretty worried about their well-being with being boarded, but felt we didn't have a choice. They turned out just fine when we arrived in Edinburgh.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Do you an option of using the airlines' boarding facility windsong? When I flew over to the UK last Sept with our 2 cats, this is what I had to do.

I used United, and was flying into Edinburgh, so the cats had to go through Newark as the 'gateway' city per DEFRA requirements. So I had to drive about 4 hours to another domestic city in order to get them on a pet friendly flight to Newark (apparently my local airport did not have any flights that would/could handle pets). They then stayed overnight in boarding facilities coordinated through United. The following day, my flight left my local airport and I joined them in Newark. So I was on the same transatlantic flight to Edinburgh as them. Hope that explanation made sense. There was an additional fee for the boarding of course.

The other options were as you said, that I would have to coordinate a hotel room, and stay overnight in a gateway city and then drive them to that airport's cargo facility. There was no way I could have handled that.

We were pretty worried about their well-being with being boarded, but felt we didn't have a choice. They turned out just fine when we arrived in Edinburgh.
Well, this entire gateway city issue arose when I talked to Delta. Initially, they said I could use their boarding facilities because the pets would be there for abut 10 hours before the international departure. Then, they came back and corrected themselves, saying I had to use a pet transport company instead. The city I would have been flying out of is not a gateway city but Delta would have been connecting in Atlanta which is one of their gateway cities. The problem, they said, is that I would be flying on a domestic flight that connects with an international flight. It's still Greek to me! I do plan to call them back to see if I can talk to someone else but this has got me a little nervous about using Delta.

Lufthansa seems to have it together, though. They also have flights that leave early in the morning and in the evening when it is much cooler here.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 19th 2014 at 7:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.