Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pet fees upon landing in UK

Pet fees upon landing in UK

Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet fees upon landing in UK

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
It might be easier for you to have them connect on a flight. Its going to be a lot for you to get two dogs and your luggage to the train station from the airport.
Yes, I agree. I had already more or less come to this conclusion. At least with a connection I can get them straight to their final destination.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcm1
Thanks. This list has been my guide as to which airlines to investigate over the last few days.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just talked to BA. They have an embargo until September 15 from where I live.

Virgin doesn't fly out of my city, even though it comes up in flight search results. Well, they do but they are operated by Delta. Delta suggested getting a red eye out of my city and getting the animals cleared there en route to the UK.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 17th 2014 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is SO frustrating! It is a nightmare trying to get out of this place! Apparently, my city is not a "gateway" city and all pets entering the UK must enter from a gateway city. This means I have to take a domestic flight with my pets within the US to a gateway city, collect the pets, and take them to the cargo area of the carrier of the flight that will take me into the UK.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
This is SO frustrating! It is a nightmare trying to get out of this place! Apparently, my city is not a "gateway" city and all pets entering the UK must enter from a gateway city. This means I have to take a domestic flight with my pets within the US to a gateway city, collect the pets, and take them to the cargo area of the carrier of the flight that will take me into the UK.
could you hire a car and drive to the closest gateway airport. Might be worth looking into as an option.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
could you hire a car and drive to the closest gateway airport. Might be worth looking into as an option.
I'd have to drive about 1500 miles but it's an idea. Ohh, wait a minute. I looked into something like this before. It costs a fortune to rent a car and drop it in another city - one-way drop fee.

I wonder if Denver is a gateway city for ANY airline that flies overseas.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 17th 2014 at 4:46 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, if I have to do it I have to do it. I will just have to take a domestic flight into a gateway city with the pets, collect them, stay overnight at an airport hotel and then take them to the animal center to get prepped for the international flight the next day. What a mess! How I would lug around their crates for a day I don't know.

Or, take them through Paris which doesn't have this gateway city requirement when exiting the US

Last edited by windsong; Jun 17th 2014 at 4:59 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Too dangerously hot to fly pets out of Denver at the moment. Any responsible airline would also have an embargo in this weather!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happyglow
Too dangerously hot to fly pets out of Denver at the moment. Any responsible airline would also have an embargo in this weather!
This is why the airline I spoke to looked for an evening departure. It gets much cooler here in the evening and early morning; in fact, it's downright cold sometimes.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

some airlines have set embargoes for certain months such as BA other airlines will fly pets during those months but if the ground temperature goes above something like 84 degrees they cannot fly the pets. There will be a risk in July if the weather is hot they will not take your pets and you will only find out the day of the flight. This is part of the reason why I asked if you could wait and leave later.

Last edited by lgabriel73; Jun 18th 2014 at 1:04 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Casa Mer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by windsong
I know if you fly directly into the UK, you pay substantial pet fees at the animal reception. However, I would like to be able to nail down exactly what those fees are. Many people here have quote different fee amounts - and then varying those fees depending on which airline they flew with.

How can I find out exactly how much I would have to pay for my pets? I would hate to land there with insufficient cash to pay for them. And that's another thing - will they accept cash? If so, does it have to be in local currency?
I travel in North and Central America frequently with my small dog. I buy an 'in cabin' fare. She is in a soft pet taxi under my seat. The airline sets the price. i.e.
West Jet $50 per trip United Airlines $125 per trip. Only 4 animals are allowed on each flight. If if is high season be sure to enquire if there is room for your pet
Sorry no experience with British Airlines No landing fees that I know of
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Casa Mer
I travel in North and Central America frequently with my small dog. I buy an 'in cabin' fare. She is in a soft pet taxi under my seat. The airline sets the price. i.e.
West Jet $50 per trip United Airlines $125 per trip. Only 4 animals are allowed on each flight. If if is high season be sure to enquire if there is room for your pet
Sorry no experience with British Airlines No landing fees that I know of
The OP is flying her dogs from the US to the UK. Different rules and regs. They can't fly in the cabin at all.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

I talked to the USDA/APHIS office in town today. I thought you could fly AFTER 21 days after the rabies vaccination. They told me you can't get the health certificate until 21 days after the vaccination, so assuming I get the health certificate on the 22nd day I think I am eligible to fly on the 23rd day after the vaccination - or later.

They also told me the tapeworm treatment can be done before OR after the health certificate is issued and that they would endorse the certificate anyway. The tapeworm treatment has to be given in the last five days before travel apparently.

Health certificate is only valid for 10 days.

Does this agree with what everyone else has been told?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 12:40 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't sound right to me.

First of all there are two forms-- the EU import form and the Health Certificate. You will find links to the American versions of both here:

USDA - APHIS - Regulations and Assessments

Look at the bottom of the page.

You will also need the vaccination certificates.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Editha
That doesn't sound right to me.

First of all there are two forms-- the EU import form and the Health Certificate. You will find links to the American versions of both here:

USDA - APHIS - Regulations and Assessments

Look at the bottom of the page.

You will also need the vaccination certificates.
Nor to me, Editha. The APHIS site simply says they cannot enter the EU until 21 days after vaccination which is a little different from what they told me today.

The vet is handling all the paperwork but I am printing it out, too, so I can understand and try to make sure it is done properly, especially after what you are going through with your cats.

My vet has done this many times but not for two years for the UK. He said the rules keep changing but I don't think there has been a change since 2012.

The APHIS office was less than helpful. They don't really want to answer questions and simply direct people to their web site. I thought they'd be a little more helpful but they said they don't have time to answer people's questions.

I have folders for everything - pets, passport & renewal, flights. My to do list is a bit up in the air at the moment because it is hard to know in which order to do things but I think the next thing is book the flights for around July 10-15. I need to confirm the timeline for the animals first, I think.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 19th 2014 at 1:24 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.