British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Pet Carriers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/pet-carriers-749258/)

Moggiemiss Feb 21st 2012 9:54 pm

Pet Carriers

I read a thread recently about difficulties in purchasing pet carriers from SkyKennels ....

Has anyone used the Petmate range of carriers available at Petsmart? I notice that they have the airplane symbol on them but nothing that states they are 'officially' approved. They look very similar and are competitively priced, especially as there are no shipping costs.

I don't need the carriers yet but, as ever, thinking and planning ahead.

Just heard today that my house buyer has had her finance approved and we should be closing March 30th. I cannot believe it has happened so quickly - I never even listed my house ... heard a friend of a friend was looking and mentioned I was going back to the UK, priced the house on the high side and got the asking price. I am now going back early June instead of October as planned!!!

Exciting times. Keep calm and carry on ... now where are my lists?! ...

BCCanuck Feb 22nd 2012 1:54 am

Re: Pet Carriers

I just bought a Petmate Vari Kennel to carry one of my cats to the UK next month. It does seem to meet all the requirements for airline travel. It has metal locking hardware, proper door locks , etc. The IATA website says they do not approve/endorse any particular brand of crate. Best check with the airline you're going to travel with because they can have restrictions too.

British Airways apparently won't accept size 100 crates anymore but Air Canada is fine with them.

Moggiemiss Feb 22nd 2012 2:14 am

Thanks for the info. My cat came out in a vari-kennel and there was no problem ... I think they should be okay - whilst no type of pet carrier is endorsed, Skykennels are the one that Air Canada hyperlinks to.

We will be travelling Air Canada.

cosmicjunkie Feb 22nd 2012 4:49 pm

I too bought the petmate Vari Kennel series 500. It is one of the best. It meets all airline requirements. However, I was not happy with the water bowls that came with it. They were too small and shallow and they did not have a 'lip' around the edge to help stop the water from spilling out.I bought my bowls separately online. :)

Back2UK Feb 22nd 2012 10:51 pm

My dog is only 4.5Ibs so she really could go in the cabin but I am worried about the other passengers if she starts to squeak to get out on a 9hr flight. Furthermore I think she is too small to go in the cargo, she is smaller than a cat. I just don't know what to do. :)

jenny heading home Mar 21st 2012 4:03 am

hi back2uk
we are also shipping our dog with ladyhaye. It is so expensive although i could never leave him behind.

Back2UK Mar 21st 2012 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by jenny heading home (Post 9964129)
hi back2uk
we are also shipping our dog with ladyhaye. It is so expensive although i could never leave him behind.

Jenny

Thank you so much again for the info....I need to connect with you, I think.
If you fancy a coffee sometime.:)