British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Personal loan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/personal-loan-947266/)

marigoldfairy Mar 2nd 2023 5:33 am

Personal loan

We’ve been back a year, good jobs and own our house outright. Our bank just rejected a small loan application my Husband put through. He’s had the account for 30 years. Has anyone had any luck getting personal loans with the lack of UK credit score?

morpeth Mar 2nd 2023 12:35 pm

Re: Personal loan

Originally Posted by marigoldfairy (Post 13176667)
We’ve been back a year, good jobs and own our house outright. Our bank just rejected a small loan application my Husband put through. He’s had the account for 30 years. Has anyone had any luck getting personal loans with the lack of UK credit score?

Zopa a much better source than a bank for personal loans though interest rates will reflect credit rating. If you are on electoral roll, a credit card from 118118 or similar type credit card, male two payments, then check credit on one of credit reporting sites.

mikelincs Mar 2nd 2023 3:00 pm

If you have a credit card, use it for all your shopping and pay it off each month, if you don't have one, get one. Best way to build your score is to actually use a credit card.

morpeth Mar 2nd 2023 5:33 pm

have you checked the credit score ? clearscore or totallymoney give free credit reports.

when i returned i found on my credit report an old marks and spencer account from 25 years before i had forgotten about.

another option is a mortgage broker,but best first step get a credit card of any type to start building credit.and definitely sign up on electoral roll if you haven't done so already as that counts towards credit score.

mikelincs Mar 2nd 2023 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 13176798)
have you checked the credit score ? clearscore or totallymoney give free credit reports.

when i returned i found on my credit report an old marks and spencer account from 25 years before i had forgotten about.

another option is a mortgage broker,but best first step get a credit card of any type to start building credit.and definitely sign up on electoral roll if you haven't done so already as that counts towards credit score.

You are unlikely to get any loan without being on the Electoral Roll, that's almost the first thing they check as it proves you are resident.