Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Permanent residency in USA and now back in UK

Wikiposts

Permanent residency in USA and now back in UK

Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent residency in USA and now back in UK

Originally Posted by sarah h
I live in the UK now. I found out I had been approved as I was still going back and forth to the states so could get the mail. I went to the Boston Office to obtain the I 551 stamp i passport, but since after this time it the divorce was filed.
What I was driving at is if you filed your I-751 jointly but filed for divorce before it was approved, the approval may be found null anyway.

Look on the Embassy/London's website for the information about giving up your PR status if you don't want to be one anymore (link from MrF). Details on what is expected from you for maintaining PR status are in the uscis.gov article "Now That You Are a Permanent Resident".
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:32 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Permanent residency in USA and now back in UK

Originally Posted by sarah h
Rene I do not have a card, so only my passport stamped with the I 551, so I dont want to be sending my passport anywhere! Can I go to the London Embassy to explain the situation? I will have a look at the I 407 form. Do you know if I should have filed taxes, even though did not work in states since last filed taxes ? thank you so much
Hi:

The powers-that-be will take the I-407 without an I-551. If it makes you feel better, attach a written statement that you never received a final card.

I had used the London form for my Australian client. CBP had lifted his I-551 on his last transit through the United States.

The I-407 just puts YOU on record that you abandoned. BTW, there is an unpublished case "Matter of Wood" from the BIA a long time ago where the alien had been made to execute an I-407 reentering from Canada for a visit to his parents. At a later return, he claimed he had never intended to abandon -- and won his case.

Please note that the law of abandonment is quite grey and can be quite fact dependent.