People In A Time Warp

Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:11 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by LouiseD
But it's like I said earlier Kath - many people on here (not you) assume that just because people live in the same town/village and frequent the same pub for many years, that they don't have a life and don't try different things. They feel sorry for them because they think they haven't experienced anything.

There is an assumtion that they are boring and don't do anything. This couldn't be further from the truth - I know loads of people who, despite living in the same place have amazing lives - they travel the world, take part in various sports/activities, have fab social lives and truly are interesting people to talk to.

Personally I reckon they are probably far more interesting that those people who have emigrated to Australia and who spend their weekends going to an endless round of beaches and barbies.

yep, i totally agree with you!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Morning NS

I have been gone a long time. More than 10yrs since i have seen some of them. For the most part, they are the same people that i left all those years ago, but as i said above, I'm not!
I am not pointing this out as meaning they are not good enough for me anymore as thats just not the case and i am not the sort of person who thinks that way. I just find it hard to find common ground with some of them, although not all of them i may add!
I know what you mean here completely. I am experiencing the same thing - but in reverse. I get the feeling from our friends that they cannot understand why we want to leave the UK - as they are not always necessarily happy with their lives - but have accepted that things are the way they are - and are making do with their lot. Maybe they're not as brave or dont know how to change things for the better, but it's frustrating when you're classed as wanting more - but not in a good way but a negative way as if what you have already is not good enough....
(if that made sense!).
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Ahhhh yes i hope i have worked this out ok. Should be a couple right here.
Hi there Flea
lovely piccies of cute small people too
Hope the foot problem is sorted soon too
keep enjoying
xxxxx
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
But it's like I said earlier Kath - many people on here (not you) assume that just because people live in the same town/village and frequent the same pub for many years, that they don't have a life and don't try different things. They feel sorry for them because they think they haven't experienced anything.

There is an assumtion that they are boring and don't do anything. This couldn't be further from the truth - I know loads of people who, despite living in the same place have amazing lives - they travel the world, take part in various sports/activities, have fab social lives and truly are interesting people to talk to.
Don't you think we all start out this immigration lark a bit like this though? We all yearn for something 'more' or 'different' or just to 'do' something with our lives?! And these lovely people sitting at their regular bar stool are the very reasons we cite at the beginning of our journey. We truly believe there is more out there ...

And it's not till we've got to the other side, polished those cloudy rose-tinted glasses, and sat back for a while - that we then have the clarity of mind to see those people at their bar stools properly, and possibly for the first time. We envy their peace of mind and happiness - and wondered why the hell we never saw it in the first place ?? !!

So the emigration journey very often sends people back 'home' with the greatest peace of mind they have ever experience in their lives. But it just took a long time, a long distance and a lot of money to get there. But they did get there ....

I read this section with great interest and great empathy. The human brain sure does play havoc with our emotions.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:58 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

When you move country in a lot of cases you just change your regular bar stool for one in a place with different accents...
Its not like many of us lead very different lifes once we move...we mostly end up doing the same things day in day out no matter where we live.....work shopping cleaning taking the kids to school...etc...
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:37 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Don't you think we all start out this immigration lark a bit like this though? We all yearn for something 'more' or 'different' or just to 'do' something with our lives?! And these lovely people sitting at their regular bar stool are the very reasons we cite at the beginning of our journey. We truly believe there is more out there ...

And it's not till we've got to the other side, polished those cloudy rose-tinted glasses, and sat back for a while - that we then have the clarity of mind to see those people at their bar stools properly, and possibly for the first time. We envy their peace of mind and happiness - and wondered why the hell we never saw it in the first place ?? !!

So the emigration journey very often sends people back 'home' with the greatest peace of mind they have ever experience in their lives. But it just took a long time, a long distance and a lot of money to get there. But they did get there ....

I read this section with great interest and great empathy. The human brain sure does play havoc with our emotions.
Ann - I couldn't agree more - I bet those people sat on their bar stools actually feel quite sorry for us lot (or laugh at us) for selling up and searching the world over, only to find out that we had what we wanted all along