People In A Time Warp

Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:55 pm
  #16  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,019
TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by dingbat
It's taken me a while to accept this too. I've been away too long and frankly moved around a fair bit even when I lived back home, so the familiar roots are not there. I have no family in the UK anymore either. I am going back to an area that I do not know, but that seems to offer everything I miss - the sea, old codgers, book stores, innumerable work opportunities and decent schools for the kids. If I am making a mistake, I am so screwed.
which area are you moving back to?
TruBrit is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 12:43 am
  #17  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 5,387
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I am so loving being back home and feel like i never want to leave, but there have been a couple of sad realisations that i hadn't bargained for.

I am a very different woman to the one that left these shores several years ago. I have seen and done things that many people i grew up with or socialised with could only dream about. I am very very grateful for that, but it has meant that some people who were in my life i no longer have a common bond or link with. I am struggling with that. There is nothing wrong with these people and nothing wrong with me. I just feel as if mentally i have moved onto a different plateau and they are stuck in a time warp. They are happy enough i guess, but i dont think i "fit" in their world anymore.

Anyone else found this?
Sounds like stage 3, it will soon pass though.
http://britishexpats.com/articles/mo...culture-shock/
Danny B is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:35 am
  #18  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,455
Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I am so loving being back home and feel like i never want to leave, but there have been a couple of sad realisations that i hadn't bargained for.

I am a very different woman to the one that left these shores several years ago. I have seen and done things that many people i grew up with or socialised with could only dream about. I am very very grateful for that, but it has meant that some people who were in my life i no longer have a common bond or link with. I am struggling with that. There is nothing wrong with these people and nothing wrong with me. I just feel as if mentally i have moved onto a different plateau and they are stuck in a time warp. They are happy enough i guess, but i dont think i "fit" in their world anymore.

Anyone else found this?
I can understand what you mean, I think it's hard to go back to the same place. I bet my old friends are still discussing their home improvements and King Edwards Grammar School, bless them.
Sally is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:49 am
  #19  
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5,133
Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I have seen and done things that many people i grew up with or socialised with could only dream about.
If they had the same aspirations, alternatively maybe they are perfectly happy where they were/are.

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I just feel as if mentally i have moved onto a different plateau and they are stuck in a time warp.
I assume this 'plateau' is higher? Sounds like you have moved onto a higher level of conciousness, it's a common problem.

Vim Fuego is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:20 am
  #20  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
britvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Mother Land.
Posts: 14,858
britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

My life will not be the same when I move back and we will be starting again in a new area, I would hope to always be blessed with the people I call my friends even though we've all moved on. At one point I lived in a very small village for six years and really looking forward to seeing those who I kept in touch with, and these are real villagers, the type that are born there work there and will no doubt end up in the Village church yard, and in a way I envy there piece of mind
britvic is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:24 am
  #21  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,098
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by britvic
My life will not be the same when I move back and we will be starting again in a new area, I would hope to always be blessed with the people I call my friends even though we've all moved on. At one point I lived in a very small village for six years and really looking forward to seeing those who I kept in touch with, and these are real villagers, the type that are born there work there and will no doubt end up in the Village church yard, and in a way I envy there piece of mind
the kind I grew up in. My grandmother died in the same house she was born in and her mother had died and been born in.
northernbird is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:34 am
  #22  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
britvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Mother Land.
Posts: 14,858
britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by northernbird
the kind I grew up in. My grandmother died in the same house she was born in and her mother had died and been born in.
Exactly. For me now I feel it's some sort of mid life thing and the feeling of wishing to put down root's and envy those a little who have no desire to ever want to move away from what they know & love
britvic is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:43 am
  #23  
I don't give a damn
Thread Starter
 
Fleaflyfloflum's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: In the arms of my family. Heaven...
Posts: 4,980
Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
If they had the same aspirations, alternatively maybe they are perfectly happy where they were/are.



I assume this 'plateau' is higher? Sounds like you have moved onto a higher level of conciousness, it's a common problem.

Firstly, 2 of them TOLD me they wished they had done what i had done and no, they are not happy, they also told me that too. That was partly what lead me to make the thread.
Unlike yourself, i'm not into assumptions. Why would my plateau necessarily have to be higher? Why not just slightly to the right or left?
Fleaflyfloflum is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:46 am
  #24  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
britvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Mother Land.
Posts: 14,858
britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Firstly, 2 of them TOLD me they wished they had done what i had done and no, they are not happy, they also told me that too. That was partly what lead me to make the thread.
Unlike yourself, i'm not into assumptions. Why would my plateau necessarily have to be higher? Why not just slightly to the right or left?
Why aren't you asleep Woman
britvic is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:49 am
  #25  
I don't give a damn
Thread Starter
 
Fleaflyfloflum's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: In the arms of my family. Heaven...
Posts: 4,980
Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by britvic
My life will not be the same when I move back and we will be starting again in a new area, I would hope to always be blessed with the people I call my friends even though we've all moved on. At one point I lived in a very small village for six years and really looking forward to seeing those who I kept in touch with, and these are real villagers, the type that are born there work there and will no doubt end up in the Village church yard, and in a way I envy there piece of mind
Morning Vic

I'm staying in a new area, although its only the other side of London really so my roots are within an hours drive. I totally agree about remaining friends even though we have moved on. I want to make it clear that i have not lost their friendships or theres even a problem between us in truth. I guess its just me having teething problems settling back to an environment that i am no longer used to, although it does scare the hell out of me that i could have sat on that same bar stool for 40yrs and never gone anywhere else. Not sure i would have wanted that.
Fleaflyfloflum is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:51 am
  #26  
I don't give a damn
Thread Starter
 
Fleaflyfloflum's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: In the arms of my family. Heaven...
Posts: 4,980
Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by britvic
Why aren't you asleep Woman

Ooops... didnt realise you were there. Little buddah (my grandaughter) decided she wants to play at 4am

Naaah we having fun really and i'm giving daughter a well earned rest.

Hope you feeling ok Vic xx
Fleaflyfloflum is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:53 am
  #27  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
britvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Mother Land.
Posts: 14,858
britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Morning Vic

I'm staying in a new area, although its only the other side of London really so my roots are within an hours drive. I totally agree about remaining friends even though we have moved on. I want to make it clear that i have not lost their friendships or theres even a problem between us in truth. I guess its just me having teething problems settling back to an environment that i am no longer used to, although it does scare the hell out of me that i could have sat on that same bar stool for 40yrs and never gone anywhere else. Not sure i would have wanted that.
Yes it's a very early morning for you mate I know what you mean though
britvic is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:55 am
  #28  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
britvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Mother Land.
Posts: 14,858
britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Ooops... didnt realise you were there. Little buddah (my grandaughter) decided she wants to play at 4am

Naaah we having fun really and i'm giving daughter a well earned rest.

Hope you feeling ok Vic xx
Arrr bless I'm fine thanks me darlin. Are we going to see some photo's of your lovely granbaby's one day ?
britvic is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 4:07 am
  #29  
I don't give a damn
Thread Starter
 
Fleaflyfloflum's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: In the arms of my family. Heaven...
Posts: 4,980
Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by britvic
Arrr bless I'm fine thanks me darlin. Are we going to see some photo's of your lovely granbaby's one day ?
Ahhhh yes i hope i have worked this out ok. Should be a couple right here.
Attached Thumbnails People In A Time Warp-dsc00843.jpg   People In A Time Warp-dsc00833.jpg  
Fleaflyfloflum is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2007, 4:28 am
  #30  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,455
Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: People In A Time Warp

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Ahhhh yes i hope i have worked this out ok. Should be a couple right here.
What a fantastic facial expression! Gorgeous!
Sally is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.