Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

People that say they absolutely love their new life question?

Wikiposts

People that say they absolutely love their new life question?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:11 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People that say they absolutely love their new life question?

Originally Posted by quoll
First of all, I cant stand the heat, the flies and the mozzies. Days like today have me nearly in tears (no aircon, the Aussie DH is a rabid greenie who has been outside all day with the temp hitting 59C in the sun - chopping wood! He's nuts!). The older I get the harder it gets to handle and I will never be used to having flies buzz around my head.

I digress. What takes me home is that sense of belonging, walking down the street and knowing that this is where I absolutely belong. It happens as soon as we fly over the Kent coast usually. Add to that the history which is relevant to me - the monuments to great achievements of thousands of years. Sorry, but I dont get revved up by a few grinding stones and a mythology based on natural features or even spit hand paintings.

I love the GREEEEEEEN, in spring/summer it is blinding in its intensity and the ground gives beneath your feet and it is real grass not some sort of couch/weed masquerading as being vaguely green as it struggles to penetrate the concrete ground. I love the delicate wildflowers and the varying colours of the hedgerows which change with the seasons. I love the delicate birds with some stunning colours who tweet at you, not the big brash LOUD birds that frequent these airwaves. If I could commit Koelicide or Cockatooicide with impugnity I would.

I miss the sense of community and the chattiness - people who actually have a chat at the check out counter, a bit of a laugh without people looking at you as if you are half barmy. The support my retired parents get is far better than I can expect being retired here and my friends' retirement experiences are making me incredibly jealous.

I hate the insularity here - getting to anywhere different takes several hours flight and is hugely expensive. It takes forever to drive from one city to another - the cities are just like any other city in the world, crowded, dirty, overwhelming but with a few touristy bling sites thrown in for good measure. The road between Melbourne and Sydney should be a mandatory trip for any new migrant - it epitomises the bland nothingness of the rest of the country. You can drive for hours and never have a clue about where you actually are because it all looks the same (thank goodness for roadside signs).

Most of all I hate the thought that this is "it" for the rest of my life. While I didnt feel trapped because I thought there was going to be an open door to me heading back home to live I could cope, I enjoyed lots of things but after living here almost half my life now I have done everything I have wanted to do - I am bored and now beginning to hate it - yes, actually hate it here. It takes something very special to make me feel that I am having a good time here. I am a different person here - at home I laugh, here I rarely do.

The DH knows how I feel but he is as stubborn as a mule - we do compromise to a degree, he wants to go and live in the bush and be self sufficient (yeah, right, a flush loo is a major non negotiable!) so he lives in the city because I wont go and live in the bush with him and I live in Aus because he wont come to UK with me. I survive by going home every year sometimes twice a year usually for 4 - 8 weeks all depending on what is happening. His part of the bargain is to earn enough for me to support my habit! I have one son and granddaughter here and another son in UK along with my parents so I definitely have a "people pull" in both directions but if I had the chance to go and live in UK I would be off without a moment's hesitation even though that would mean leaving the granddaughter behind.

Sorry I have taken this off topic for which I apologize.
You know what Q? I think you sell yourself too short in this push pull with OH. I reckon if you called his bluff and flew back home he'd eventually follow. I think he sayd he wont because he knows you wont leave him there.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:15 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
You know what Q? I think you sell yourself too short in this push pull with OH. I reckon if you called his bluff and flew back home he'd eventually follow. I think he sayd he wont because he knows you wont leave him there.
Have to agree with Flea Quoll. Don't end your life in halfway street. you've done it here for him for a long time. Now it's his turn.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree with Quoll,having lived on both countries for a long time!Yes I love Australia,but not enough to move back there permanantly.I left Oz the first time aged 18 and headed back "home"to the UK.I would of stayed here permanantly then but my family were giving me the big guilt trip,plus one of my sister's was about to have her first baby,so reluctantly I headed back to Oz.I do understand how Quoll feels though!My OH and I went went for a walk (we live in a rural area)last Sunday to a village (about 4 miles from where we live).I had never been there before but to say I was totally overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of the place would be an understatement!Rolling green hills,and fast flowing river cutting through it,the most gorgeous cottages on the planet,with beautiful gardens,and to top it off,we started feeling thirsty as we'd been walking for quite some time,and low and behold a natural spring pouring out the hillside,which we got a drink of the freshest water I had ever tasted!Pure bliss!!! At the end of the walk,we came to the village pub,roaring fires,happy smiling people telling eachother yarns,some people eating mammoth roast dinners?I was totally blown away by it all.Yes I lived in a nice place in SA while I was there,but really its no comparison to what I have on my doorstep!Speaking to my elderly Mum who resides in SA last weekend and hearing her complaining rather loudly about the heat (40+for the last 2 weeks)and the fact she cannot walk down to the shop,I would much rather live with the snow,in my cosy cottage,soup on the stove bubbling away!I have lived through several scorching summers myself and its not pretty I can asure you!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sans
Oye!! You could at least stick your tongue out at me
What?????????
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:41 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Save on those environmentally damaging flights and move back to the UK. I think you will miss your granddaughter though.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
there will be cases of cognitive dissonance.
also cases of people hating it here.
there are many who are truly happy here, of which I am one.
there are people who thought they were unhappy here, moved back, only to find that they actually do prefer Australia. Some of these move back, only to find that actually they do prefer the uk, and so on and so on.
I have many many Aussies who say Aus is great but have never met one who thinks the uk is crap.
For the record, I have never knocked the uk, a fantastic country, so another stereotype gone there. you do not have to hate one to live in the other
Good post Everyone is different, people really need to stop generalising and assuming that they know something about things they clearly don't have any idea about.

Originally Posted by cricket1
People will often say things believing them to be the truth because it validates what they've chosen. It's called living in a fools paradise. But regardless whether genuinely love or pretend to love their life, does it really matter to anyone else? It's their journey and their experience after all.

To me when someone says 'we absolutely love living here', I neither doubt what they say or believe it, because it's their life so it's not relevant to me.
But.....if someone were to try and convince me that i should stay here because life is so good for them, that there must be something wrong if it isn't good for me too, then I would tell then to bugger off and go and preach to someone else.
Well said

Originally Posted by quoll
First of all, I cant stand the heat, the flies and the mozzies. Days like today have me nearly in tears (no aircon, the Aussie DH is a rabid greenie who has been outside all day with the temp hitting 59C in the sun - chopping wood! He's nuts!). The older I get the harder it gets to handle and I will never be used to having flies buzz around my head.

I digress. What takes me home is that sense of belonging, walking down the street and knowing that this is where I absolutely belong. It happens as soon as we fly over the Kent coast usually. Add to that the history which is relevant to me - the monuments to great achievements of thousands of years. Sorry, but I dont get revved up by a few grinding stones and a mythology based on natural features or even spit hand paintings.

I love the GREEEEEEEN, in spring/summer it is blinding in its intensity and the ground gives beneath your feet and it is real grass not some sort of couch/weed masquerading as being vaguely green as it struggles to penetrate the concrete ground. I love the delicate wildflowers and the varying colours of the hedgerows which change with the seasons. I love the delicate birds with some stunning colours who tweet at you, not the big brash LOUD birds that frequent these airwaves. If I could commit Koelicide or Cockatooicide with impugnity I would.

I miss the sense of community and the chattiness - people who actually have a chat at the check out counter, a bit of a laugh without people looking at you as if you are half barmy. The support my retired parents get is far better than I can expect being retired here and my friends' retirement experiences are making me incredibly jealous.

I hate the insularity here - getting to anywhere different takes several hours flight and is hugely expensive. It takes forever to drive from one city to another - the cities are just like any other city in the world, crowded, dirty, overwhelming but with a few touristy bling sites thrown in for good measure. The road between Melbourne and Sydney should be a mandatory trip for any new migrant - it epitomises the bland nothingness of the rest of the country. You can drive for hours and never have a clue about where you actually are because it all looks the same (thank goodness for roadside signs).

Most of all I hate the thought that this is "it" for the rest of my life. While I didnt feel trapped because I thought there was going to be an open door to me heading back home to live I could cope, I enjoyed lots of things but after living here almost half my life now I have done everything I have wanted to do - I am bored and now beginning to hate it - yes, actually hate it here. It takes something very special to make me feel that I am having a good time here. I am a different person here - at home I laugh, here I rarely do.

The DH knows how I feel but he is as stubborn as a mule - we do compromise to a degree, he wants to go and live in the bush and be self sufficient (yeah, right, a flush loo is a major non negotiable!) so he lives in the city because I wont go and live in the bush with him and I live in Aus because he wont come to UK with me. I survive by going home every year sometimes twice a year usually for 4 - 8 weeks all depending on what is happening. His part of the bargain is to earn enough for me to support my habit! I have one son and granddaughter here and another son in UK along with my parents so I definitely have a "people pull" in both directions but if I had the chance to go and live in UK I would be off without a moment's hesitation even though that would mean leaving the granddaughter behind.

Sorry I have taken this off topic for which I apologize.
Quoll, never apologise for how you feel. I too have the pull of family (well one of my sons) in another continent, but you only have one life and you should be happy with it. If your son and granddaughter wanted to move away I'm sure you wouldn't stop them if you thought it would make them happy.

I wish I had a magic wand that I could wave on you and others who are unhappy to make everything the way you want it. I admire you for putting everyone else first, but I also think you should put yourself first - you deserve to be happy just as much as everyone else.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

A friend said recently "its the same shit, just a shinier bucket" which is imo a pretty good summary of life in Aus
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

SeanandMaria:Yes thats true.I've lived in Adelaide a long time (in the UK now)and people here find it hard to believe when I give them the true facts instead of some glossed over Home & Away version?Don't get me wrong,I'm don't portray a negative version of Oz,just a realistic one.Its easy I guess for people who have lived in the UK their whole lives to assume that Australia is utopia?People should live in present time,not the past or in newbie emigraters eyes,the future?Yes the sun does shine stronger in Oz,but people still commit murder,knife eachother,commit rape,incest,animal cruelty,same s*** as you have said!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
SeanandMaria:Yes thats true.I've lived in Adelaide a long time (in the UK now)and people here find it hard to believe when I give them the true facts instead of some glossed over Home & Away version?Don't get me wrong,I'm don't portray a negative version of Oz,just a realistic one.Its easy I guess for people who have lived in the UK their whole lives to assume that Australia is utopia?People should live in present time,not the past or in newbie emigraters eyes,the future?Yes the sun does shine stronger in Oz,but people still commit murder,knife eachother,commit rape,incest,animal cruelty,same s*** as you have said!
yes, you can have a better life here, or a worse one. what is certain is that it is an adventure and that is no bad thing. I often think that if you come and love it, you have succeeded. If you come and hate it, when you return you will have new, more positive eyes for your old roost and ultimately have succeeded again. there are a whole range of situations between these poles and I believe these to be the tough spots.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seanandmaria
A friend said recently "its the same shit, just a shinier bucket" which is imo a pretty good summary of life in Aus

I think this is COMPLETELY TRUE. England is more crowded/rainier and these factors seem to make it a lot easier to pick-on. Things look, superficially, better in Australia and so when you come here for a visit it's easy to be quite attracted to it. But the reality, the sad reality, is that things are ultimately not really significantly different/better here at all.

I don't think Aus is remotely better than the UK. It still amazes me how people seem to focus on one or two relatively minor (in my view) factors in saying Aus is better - e.g. the fact that they get to be outside more, or go to the beach. Fine I suppose, but is going outside more often THAT VITAL to you? Yes, you can go to the beach, but by virtue of being in Aus you CAN'T go for a beautiful walk in lush, green countryside and visit a lovely country-pub for lunch and a swift half. So, yes you've gained the beach but you've lost the countryside. And let's not forget the significantly increased risk of skin cancer here - is it worth being able to go outside more often (''I love Australia...I have a much more outdoors lifestyle here''....yawn, yawn, yawn) if it means you have to cover yourself and your kids in sun-block every bloody time?

I just can't, and never will, fathom why it's supposedly so wonderful here. For anyone.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:39 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camponotus
I think this is COMPLETELY TRUE. England is more crowded/rainier and these factors seem to make it a lot easier to pick-on. Things look, superficially, better in Australia and so when you come here for a visit it's easy to be quite attracted to it. But the reality, the sad reality, is that things are ultimately not really significantly different/better here at all.

I don't think Aus is remotely better than the UK. It still amazes me how people seem to focus on one or two relatively minor (in my view) factors in saying Aus is better - e.g. the fact that they get to be outside more, or go to the beach. Fine I suppose, but is going outside more often THAT VITAL to you? Yes, you can go to the beach, but by virtue of being in Aus you CAN'T go for a beautiful walk in lush, green countryside and visit a lovely country-pub for lunch and a swift half. So, yes you've gained the beach but you've lost the countryside. And let's not forget the significantly increased risk of skin cancer here - is it worth being able to go outside more often (''I love Australia...I have a much more outdoors lifestyle here''....yawn, yawn, yawn) if it means you have to cover yourself and your kids in sun-block every bloody time?

I just can't, and never will, fathom why it's supposedly so wonderful here. For anyone.
Australia isn't perfect at all. Neither is UK. It is about finding where suits a family best. Australia suits my family best and the weather has very little to do with it. Can't remember the last time I went to the beach. It is all so individual.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camponotus

At the end of the day, different things will always appeal to different people. For some, the beach and the sea are everything, for others it is nice green countryside(I'm in that category). When you move to another country there are always going to be trade offs - good and bad.
But I do agree with you about the outdoor lifestyle - it definitely comes at a price...
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the sun does shine stronger in Oz,but people still commit murder,knife eachother,commit rape,incest,animal cruelty,same s*** as you have said!

I could add substance abuse, depression and suicide to the list - just as much as any cold rainy and dark country in northern Europe.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:04 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
Yes the sun does shine stronger in Oz,but people still commit murder,knife eachother,commit rape,incest,animal cruelty,same s*** as you have said!

I could add substance abuse, depression and suicide to the list - just as much as any cold rainy and dark country in northern Europe.
It's interesting about the sun, Vit D and how it's supposed to improve the mood. Up until recently Australia had the record for the highest number of male suicides in the world, now it's NZ. Apparantly it's linked to a number of things but mostly due to a lack of purpose and opportunity.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Rodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Also agree with F. you seem to have been the one to have compromised the most. Could you OH not try and live in the U.K. for a while?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.