Wikiposts

People back at home

Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People back at home

Originally Posted by Bohemian
Well I know it's a bit woosey; you think we should give it another 5 years or so?
Yes indeed, you are obviously lightweights
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Bohemian has a brilliant futureBohemian has a brilliant futureBohemian has a brilliant futureBohemian has a brilliant futureBohemian has a brilliant futureBohemian has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crystal23
....she jumped down my throat and said the Ozzie Transport Sytem was the best in the world.

That is genuinely funny... I've NEVER heard that one before. Even the criminal incumbents wouldn't try that one on.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Bohemian has a brilliant futureBohemian has a brilliant futureBohemian has a brilliant futureBohemian has a brilliant futureBohemian has a brilliant futureBohemian has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Yes indeed, you are obviously lightweights
Oh well, we'll have to invent some sort of dire reasoning as to why we HAD to come back.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:43 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
Yeah spot on. When we return, if someone asks me why I came back, I'll ask them how long they lived in Australia. If they say they haven't lived there I'll just tell them to get back to me when they have, and then change the subject
First of all, I want to say how nice it is to see all the newbies posting and welcome to BE all of you. Triboy, as always, my sentiments exactly.

ps. I wish I could go home where I belong.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 12:50 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is genuinely funny... I've NEVER heard that one before. Even the criminal incumbents wouldn't try that one on.
Well I've only used the trains in Perth which tbh fair I found pretty good. Also the CAT buses were good - crowded but free Trains/Buses in Adelaide good too.

I haven't used the transport system anywhere else in Oz so can't comment but according to my ex-friend the transport system in the whole of Oz is wonderful especially Victoria.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Well I've only used the trains in Perth which tbh fair I found pretty good. Also the CAT buses were good - crowded but free Trains/Buses in Adelaide good too.

I haven't used the transport system anywhere else in Oz so can't comment but according to my ex-friend the transport system in the whole of Oz is wonderful especially Victoria.
Not saying it's not adequate, Melbourne inner city is OK, but "the best in the world" is laughable.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:23 am
Account Closed

"the best in the world" is laughable.
I agree, I agree But my poor deluded friend thought that 'Puffing Billy' was a great day out. Now that's fine if you are into that sort of thing but I'd rather spend the day in Harrods (shallow person that I am)
Old Oct 12th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rabsody
I agree with what you are saying, but I honestly don't recall one person I know in UK ever saying "UK is the best place in the world to live and best at this that and the other, why would I even want to holiday anywhere else". Here, you get that on a regular basis, it's drummed into them from birth
I have to agree with you on that one....I don't remember people saying UK was the best place to live either.....BUT! why do so many people from other countries want to live there????? It would seem that it is a magnet for migrants from all countries, even Aussies....

As Brits we all know and accept the problems that the UK has.....IMO Perth is about 10-20 years behind the UK in a lot of ways (good and bad) but it will catch up and then maybe (doubt it though) the Aussies will sit up and take notice that Australia is not the "crock of gold at the end of the rainbow" that they all think it is!!

Also I would really like to meet an Aussie (few and far between in the Northern Suburbs of Perth) that doesn't have a REAL downer on Brits.....it's almost embarassing to say your from the UK as they have this mindset of you immediately and, in some cases, the hostility and animosity is blatant! Maybe I'm just meeting the wrong sort of people though ....

Pam x
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:17 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pam0512
I have to agree with you on that one....I don't remember people saying UK was the best place to live either.....BUT! why do so many people from other countries want to live there????? It would seem that it is a magnet for migrants from all countries, even Aussies....

As Brits we all know and accept the problems that the UK has.....IMO Perth is about 10-20 years behind the UK in a lot of ways (good and bad) but it will catch up and then maybe (doubt it though) the Aussies will sit up and take notice that Australia is not the "crock of gold at the end of the rainbow" that they all think it is!!

Also I would really like to meet an Aussie (few and far between in the Northern Suburbs of Perth) that doesn't have a REAL downer on Brits.....it's almost embarassing to say your from the UK as they have this mindset of you immediately and, in some cases, the hostility and animosity is blatant! Maybe I'm just meeting the wrong sort of people though ....

Pam x
I don't know you so this statement is not directed at you. I may not have been here as long as some people and I am not saying that people don't have these experiences but it has to be in the attitude shown by the english person because I can honest say that I havent had this experience during my 2 and a half years here. I have had nothing but friendliness shown towards me. I have had nothing but australian neighbours in the 2 northern suburbs I have lived in and been welcomed by everyone. I have had tradesmen in my house during my renovations and although some of them have been a bit feral they have been really friendly. I guess if I started spouting off about England and how things are done there they may have got a bit tetchy but to me that is understandable. I am genuinely sorry that you have these experiences, I hope your return home is a speedy one.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pam0512

Pam x
I agree with you to an extent about blatant hostility in some cases but I have found that those sort of Ozzies in general haven't even left WA (or Perth come to that) and like you said have a mindset of Brits and stereotype you right away.

Most of my Ozzie friends have travelled abroad and most have been to or lived in the UK - I think they have a broader outlook than most. (Ex-friend in Vic is the exception).

The thing is sometimes Brits don't really help themselves. I have just become friendly with an Ozzie woman who has lived in Britain for 3 years. We were having this discussion and she made the point that she heard nothing but whinging when she was in the UK from Brits about the Poles all living in one area and having Polish shops spring up but those same whingers are desperate to get to Oz, go and live in a British area and have British Shops.

I can see exactly where she is coming from and yes before anyone asks yes I do go to the British Shop for my Bisto Gravy Granules.

In fact last week we were having coffee at Whitfords when we saw Mummy, Daddy and 3 little boys all dressed in EXACTLY the same football strips - shorts, shirts, socks and fooball boots - the whole lot matched - all walking along in a row. The mother was berating one of the children (that's how we knew they were English (yes English) who wanted MaccyD's and she didn't know where one was 'in this f*****g place' - Real Classy Lady.

They were causing quite a bit of consternation and I just wanted to shout out we're not all like that

I met an Ozzie couple a couple of days ago who do not like the British (or Asians, SA's etc etc) in any way, shape or form and were going on about 'a moritorium on immigration like Pauline Hanson wants' After getting an explanation about that particular arguement we made our excuses and went home.

So yes alot of Ozzies do have a downer on Brits but there are some really nice well informed Ozzies out there.

Whereabouts are you Pam?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernbird
I I have had tradesmen in my house during my renovations and although some of them have been a bit feral they have been really friendly. I guess if I started spouting off about England and how things are done there they may have got a bit tetchy
But I thought you told one bloke how plastering was done in the UK C

Sorry - couldn't resist that

xx
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:57 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

But I thought you told one bloke how plastering was done in the UK C

Sorry - couldn't resist that

xx
The worst thing about my first plasterer who buggered things up was that he was English!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

The worst thing about my first plasterer who buggered things up was that he was English!
Well you should have got a Polish Plasterer in then - half the price too

The English bloke has probably been here too long and learnt that shonky work is normal

Seriously hope it's sorted now

xx
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:17 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Well you should have got a Polish Plasterer in then - half the price too

The English bloke has probably been here too long and learnt that shonky work is normal

Seriously hope it's sorted now

xx
It was sorted, by a local Most of the work done in my kitchen was by UK tradesmen and the workmanship is excellent. TBH I can't fault the aussie tradesmen I have had either. The only problems I have had could have happened anywhere.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:03 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know you so this statement is not directed at you. I may not have been here as long as some people and I am not saying that people don't have these experiences but it has to be in the attitude shown by the english person because I can honest say that I havent had this experience during my 2 and a half years here. I have had nothing but friendliness shown towards me. I have had nothing but australian neighbours in the 2 northern suburbs I have lived in and been welcomed by everyone. I have had tradesmen in my house during my renovations and although some of them have been a bit feral they have been really friendly. I guess if I started spouting off about England and how things are done there they may have got a bit tetchy but to me that is understandable. I am genuinely sorry that you have these experiences, I hope your return home is a speedy one.
I have to agree with NB on this one, we lived in Perth for 2 years and although I missed the UK like crazy I have to say all the Aussies we met were friendly, approachable and went out of their way to help us out. Although there were a few things I did not like about Perth I can honestly say the Aussie people we met could not have been nicer.

And to the OP - as for people back in the UK saying 'you are mad to come home' - it never ceases to amaze me that the people who say things like this are the ones that have never strayed further than a 3 mile radius from their own backyard!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.