Wikiposts

People back at home

Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: People back at home

I think what I'll say to the people rubbing their hands, is that at least we tried it, at least we'll never say, "if only.....". Think that's the best way to handle them.

Sorry that you may be going back on your own. At least you'll have friends and family this time, plenty of support is what you need and it sounds that you'll get it from your friend and daughter. Your very lucky
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:03 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Hi all,

Its funny but everyone is saying exactly the same thing, and until you speak to someone else, you think your on your own.

Basically, when you leave Blight, there are two sets of people. Those who think its a great idea, wish you luck, and come and visit and have a great time. Then there's the others, those who think your completely mad, tell you that you'll be back within the year, visit but judge everything you have got/done since you moved.

When you return, there's the two sets of people again.....firstly the ones that think your mad to come back and don't understand how hard it is to live outside of the UK (doesn't matter what country it is, Cyprus is just as hard or maybe even harder that Oz or America - only my opinion of course), then there's the others shouting "I told you so" from the top of the town hall!!

Only your very good friends will welcome you back with open arms, you feel comfortable with these guys. Then there's the other friends who can't wait to tell you what a mistake is was for you to move away in the first place and will judge everything that you do.

I have both types of friends. One can't wait for me to come home so we can be close again. The other can't wait to see what a mess we make. He's so materialistic, he can't understand that we will be moving back to a 3 bed semi and a second hand car, when we left a 4 bed detached and two new cars.

I know which I'll be socializing with!!

Has anyone had the same reaction from friends? Has anyone lost once good friends because of it? I'm quite nervous about been judged that we "failed" and had to come home
HH - why do consider that you have failed. You haven't. You tried living abroad but prefer the UK. It certainly doesn't make you a failure. People who judge others on what they have/haven't got/done aren't worth knowing. You'll be 'yesterday's news' after a couple of days anyway.

I think I must be really lucky because every one of my friends can't wait to welcome me back. That goes for my hubby's mates too. We have been inundated with offers of accommodation and help should we return to the UK and they are just sad that it hasn't worked out for us.

If anything I've been judged more by 'friends' in Oz than at home. One ozzie friend who I've known for 30 years doesn't speak to me anymore because I dared to tell her what I thought about some of the worst aspects of living here although when she lived in the UK for over 10 years it was fine for her to slate aspects of the UK. Funnily enough I agreed with her comments about the UK but as far as she is concerned Oz is wonderful with no crime, social issues, the sun always shines (she lives in Vic so not sure where that one comes from) blah blah and I need certifying to even think about going back to the UK.

She is the only person who has really upset me because I feel a huge loss that 30 years of friendship has just gone.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crystal23
HH - why do consider that you have failed. You haven't. You tried living abroad but prefer the UK. It certainly doesn't make you a failure. People who judge others on what they have/haven't got/done aren't worth knowing. You'll be 'yesterday's news' after a couple of days anyway.

I think I must be really lucky because every one of my friends can't wait to welcome me back. That goes for my hubby's mates too. We have been inundated with offers of accommodation and help should we return to the UK and they are just sad that it hasn't worked out for us.

If anything I've been judged more by 'friends' in Oz than at home. One ozzie friend who I've known for 30 years doesn't speak to me anymore because I dared to tell her what I thought about some of the worst aspects of living here although when she lived in the UK for over 10 years it was fine for her to slate aspects of the UK. Funnily enough I agreed with her comments about the UK but as far as she is concerned Oz is wonderful with no crime, social issues, the sun always shines (she lives in Vic so not sure where that one comes from) blah blah and I need certifying to even think about going back to the UK.

She is the only person who has really upset me because I feel a huge loss that 30 years of friendship has just gone.
Oh Crystal I am sorry your friend feels that way......If it's any consolation I have found that most Aussies are happy to slate the UK but think Australia is fantastic!! Unlike Brits, who I think are quite realistic and accept the problems and issues that are in the UK, the Aussies just don't. Funny how many Aussies want to go to the UK though??? I'm sure that with a little time and space you will be able to work through your problems and maybe come out the other side with a better understanding of each other.
I have a friend in Melbourne who migrated 3 years ago....we kept in touch regularly and even visited last year, but I haven't heard from her since we arrived here 7 weeks ago!! I don't think she thought we would come but is upset that we have cos we can see that it isn't the "bed of roses" that she constantly told us it was!
Chin up girl, you are doing what is right for you and your family, your friend will eventually see that.....
Pam x x
Old Oct 10th 2007, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

yellowbrickroad is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Oaks;5399599]
  1. Why is it that everyone in the UK thinks that australia is this fantastic land of plenty.

In the land of plenty, no one works
Everyone ownes their house outright
They have three cars, a four wheel drive and a soft top sports car
People spend their days 'largeing it up" on the beach, drinking beer wine
They spend the evening having barbies looking at the sunset
No one has any worries
There is no crime
No one argues
Food and beer is cheap, going out is cheap, the weather is sunny sunny sunny
The beaches are fab, sea like a mill pond
People have boats and go fishing

Its all sun, sea, beach,beer,wine, food and coffee - all the good things in life eh? Been in Oz for two and a half years now, but it doesnt seem to match up with the land of plenty - can anyone tell me where it is? I want some of that!!

Unless you have lived in Auz, you have nothing else to compare the UK to. Let em get on with it thats what I say - I know better lolo
Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:05 pm
This space for rent

freezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
People back home say the same thing to me, the usual: you must be mad, there's sod all in this country etc etc. It doesn't really bother me though. I am so glad to have spent time here because it has given me a whole new perspective on the UK. My friends back home just imagine movie type panoramas of the NY skyline, or girls in bikinis on Californian beaches.

Of course everyday life is never like a movie no matter where you land up. My wife soon realised that Salford in Gtr Manchester was no Mary Poppins movie as soon as she spotted her frist drunken woman throwing up in the bushes on a wednesday afternoon lol.
Ahh yes the costa del Salford. I love the place....but I was born there and I am only too aware of its shortcomings.
But it is hard to bea the view of a sunset over the Trafford Centre from my flat in a tower block in Eccles. ....Oh gawd the rose tinted specs are coming back now.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dawn.s
So glad I found this site today
After living in Spain for nearly 6 yrs we decide to return to the UK. For the sake mainly of our son who didn't have a life here. He returned 3 months ago and has settled well into college. My hubby and me had to wait for the dogs to be ready, 8 months. Now 3 wks before our flight back, he's getting cold feet, and says he'll 'have to see how it goes'!! and if it doesn't work out he'll want to come back here to live (apparently minus us)
Dawm,

Don't worry about your hubbie, he may just be having last min. nerves, when he gets into the swing of things it will be fine...and if he does go back to spain well that would be his loss and not yours.....just give him time..some mend do suffer from nerves and you will just have to be the strong one for now. I live in Aus...(hopefully returning home in March) and we have had the same thing happen here....and so glad that this site is available ..it has kept me sane...

Good luck with your move and all will be fine once you get back into a routine...Christmas is always a great time to go back.....
Jackie in Perth when we just want to be home were we belong.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by crystal23

Thx Cyrstal, I suppose we should move on from friends like that, who needs them.

Sorry that you've lost a good friend. It funny that she's allowed to slag off the UK but your not allowed to do it to Oz. Maybe, once your back you can make contact again and try and sort things out from a distance. Agree to disagree!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 6:48 pm

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
It's almost a universal rule that the people who have never lived in Oz believe it is Godzone. After all, it has beaches, beer, beaches, bigots, beaches and boredom by the bucketloads. Did I mention the beaches?

Some people seem to think that Oz has all of the best bits of the UK, but with better weather. You'll find these people down the low end of the IQ scale.

In Oz they work* some of the longest hours in the western world.

And they still can't produce a half-decent rugby union team.

After we returned to England, I was surprised at the number of people who had lived in Oz for a short time (6-12 months). And to a man - and woman - they said the same thing "Nice enough place to visit, but I couldn't live there."

We'd then round-off the discussion by spending the next hour getting stuck into Oz and the narrow-minded Aussies.

*In Oz, "work means "to turn up" at a location, while expending minimal effort to extract maximum $$$.
Yeah spot on. When we return, if someone asks me why I came back, I'll ask them how long they lived in Australia. If they say they haven't lived there I'll just tell them to get back to me when they have, and then change the subject
Old Oct 10th 2007, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Triboy
Yeah spot on. When we return, if someone asks me why I came back, I'll ask them how long they lived in Australia. If they say they haven't lived there I'll just tell them to get back to me when they have, and then change the subject
Triboy, this doesn't just happen to people living in Oz. Its the same for any expat leaving in a foreign country. Cyprus is just as difficult, plus we have the language barrier to deal with. But yes, you right, ask how long they have lived outside the UK? What their "life" experience has been like and why (if living abroad is so great) they haven't done it?
Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:03 pm

plus we have the language barrier to deal with.
You've obviously never been to Oz

I do know what you mean though. I think the attitude with most 'never been anywhere Brits' is 'oh anywhere must be better than here'
Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

You've obviously never been to Oz

I do know what you mean though. I think the attitude with most 'never been anywhere Brits' is 'oh anywhere must be better than here'
Little do they know!!!

People in the UK are very quick to slag off the NHS, the government, crime etc. If people compared what I had in the UK to what I have here, they would have the same thoughts as me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the experience of being here, but know its not long term. It has changed me and the way I think about things, hopefully for the better!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Seriouslybritish is just really niceSeriouslybritish is just really niceSeriouslybritish is just really niceSeriouslybritish is just really niceSeriouslybritish is just really niceSeriouslybritish is just really niceSeriouslybritish is just really niceSeriouslybritish is just really nice

I've had the same thing with my family, we are planning to come home from the states after just 6 months here. It just hasn't worked out and there is too much we miss from home.

My family kept giving the Daily Mail mantra of 'last one to leave, turn the lights out' 'everyone is leaving, why are you coming back' 'you can live mortgage free' 'the houses are so huge' bla bla bla on and on. They even went so far as to make sure not to tell us they missed us and wanted us home.

Nobody knows how they feel until they have done this, I think it's pretty brave to admit it's not working and have the courage to go home.

Good luck with your move back.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:52 am

My family kept giving the Daily Mail mantra of 'last one to leave, turn the lights out' 'everyone is leaving, why are you coming back' 'you can live mortgage free' 'the houses are so huge' bla bla bla on and on. They even went so far as to make sure not to tell us they missed us and wanted us home.
My parents were like this for years (well not the 'we don't miss you' bit, but all the other mantras). They've been here lots as well. It wasn't until my wife and I went on holiday in 05, and then again in 06, that they really understood how I feel.

So it was like 'OK when I tell you how much I miss the UK you don't believe me, but when my wife (who they met for the first time in 05) tells you once or twice, you suddenly 'get it'.

I guess she must have an honest face
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freezerman
Ahh yes the costa del Salford. I love the place....but I was born there and I am only too aware of its shortcomings.
But it is hard to bea the view of a sunset over the Trafford Centre from my flat in a tower block in Eccles. ....Oh gawd the rose tinted specs are coming back now.
Freezerman I think your little bit of entertainment in your beautiful little part of the USA is to come onto Expats and put your lovely little comments in....wow life your end must be so exciting....If your life is sooooooo ideal where you are now how come you had your trip over to England to see about starting life there again?....just because it did not work out for you whatever your reasons...does not mean to say everybody see's things through your eyes....people on this site are here for support etc not for your comments....true there are not so nice places in the U.K but there in most countries as well.......I must say though that I have found that people who come from the not so nice area's and then come to live in nicer places (and this is usually because as in W.A area's are not old so it looks nicer) seem to settle easily and they seem to be the ones who go on about having bigger homes, more cars etc......(not all are like that though) ofcourse they would but life is not all about material things....We went back to Manchester for 10 weeks this year and we were really impressed with how things have changed....Salford Quays is an excellent place.....The Trafford Centre with it's new Ski Slope etc is a credit to the City...the new sporting facilities is just what the City needed.....a wonderful variety of Shops and what they are doing with the older buildings is so lovely...The Corn Exchange...The Print Works...Piccadilly Train Station.....and soon to be Victoria Train Station....all have been lovingly restored!!!!! and this is happening to most Cities.....so credit where credit is due. I can honestly say that being "short sighted" is a large fault to have.....I would not for one min, think that the USA is full of places like Queens,Bronx,Compton etc or that every high school over there has a potential to have shootings etc so please do not judge other places just because of your past life in the U.K.......people do still live in the "Tower Blocks" and most will be glad of a home....and would no doubt want to improve their lifes by going onto bigger and nicer things....but I do not think they would slag off where they have come from...my mind they should be proud to say that is where I was...this is where I am now....and I worked hard to do it!!!
Why don't you visit the Expat site which encourages others to move overseas....now you would have star billing on that and all the attention you would want.!!!!
Jackie who lives in the real world without rose coloured specs and appreciates where she comes from and where she would love to return.....home is where your heart is!!!!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

My parents were like this for years (well not the 'we don't miss you' bit, but all the other mantras). They've been here lots as well. It wasn't until my wife and I went on holiday in 05, and then again in 06, that they really understood how I feel.

So it was like 'OK when I tell you how much I miss the UK you don't believe me, but when my wife (who they met for the first time in 05) tells you once or twice, you suddenly 'get it'.

I guess she must have an honest face
Hi agree with you there, we stayed in Aus for 7 years before our first trip back home...first because it is so expensive to travel anywhere in Aus and 2nd because I wanted to give it a good go before we went home for our visit but as soon as I put my feet on U.K soil I just knew I was home....it was what I always knew though deep down...we got back to Aus and even moved home (as lots of us do here) and went to Penang for a holiday (cost a fortune....it's cheaper to stay there when you live in England!!) had Christmas with my dad over who loves it in Aus (but has not choosen to live here as he could do!!)then used most of our saving (mad I know) and went back in March-May this year (07) well it was wonderful being back home again...we did not miss a thing in Aus (except our dog!!) it was like a distant dream..a nice holiday...etc...but that was all...anyway we are now so homesick it's an ache that never goes away and we are planning to return asap...hopefully March 08....anyway what I am trying to say is when we told most people friends and family etc we were want to return home they have been great...(my dad thinks we are mad but that is because he will miss his.."cheap" holiday's to Aus) most people we know are well travelled and most say they love the countries they visit and think they are beautiful etc but would not live there..boy oh boy do we wish that was us now....there is nothing like returning back to Perth knowing that there will be nobody at the airport and that there is know "family" to make sure the house is tidy.....milk is in the fridge etc..oh we have had friends that have done that....just once...and now they are trying another state.....so that knowing you are the only people in your family in Aus....is lonely and sometimes a bit scary....I also must agree with the attitude of most Aussie's they slag a lot of countries off especially England....but dare you suggest that other countries have nicer beaches or cleaner cities...etc..you get your head bitten off and most of them have never left (well at least the W.Aussie's) Aus..let along their States....I once said to a West Aussie (because I was asked) that we really enjoyed Queensland and liked the Theme Parks etc, she replied "it's tacky,loud and brash overthere" I said "well where did you stay" she replied "never been,never want to, West Ausralia is for me"!!! I had been here in Aus about 12 months then and that was my first lesson..one you learn quickly....I do not have a problem with people liking their own area's but to comment on places they have never been to is just mind blowing and really gets to me......that's life here in Auss.
Jackie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.