Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Paying for health care in the UK?

Paying for health care in the UK?

Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Jessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud of
Default Re: Paying for health care in the UK?

Originally Posted by Shivster
National Insurance is nothing to do with the NHS. The NHS is soley funded by tax contributions. It's residence based not citizenship based.
Just to go back to the original question....I'm a bit confused now.....if it is residence based (so that in our case when we move back we will be resident in the UK for the foreseeable future), what about the fact that we haven't paid into the tax system for 4.5 years?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:44 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shivster
National Insurance is nothing to do with the NHS. The NHS is soley funded by tax contributions. It's residence based not citizenship based.
okay - so does that mean that buying the NI stamps keeps you in for the state pension? is that what they're for?

good thing we've got private medical cover if we cant get back into the NHS
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:45 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jessie James
Just to go back to the original question....I'm a bit confused now.....if it is residence based (so that in our case when we move back we will be resident in the UK for the foreseeable future), what about the fact that we haven't paid into the tax system for 4.5 years?
once you're back in the UK as a resident you'll be eligible for the NHS - that much I do know
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
okay - so does that mean that buying the NI stamps keeps you in for the state pension? is that what they're for?

good thing we've got private medical cover if we cant get back into the NHS
Yep...it's for the pension not NHS.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't matter, it's where you live as your perm residence that counts.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask what tax forms you mean? I remember completing a UK form to get a tax rebate for that tax year when we moved here but don't remember anything about becoming a non-resident although the form was linked to leaving the UK.....wish I could remember!
I just called them, told them I was off and gave them my overseas addy.