Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Paying for health care in the UK?

Paying for health care in the UK?

Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Jessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud of
Default Paying for health care in the UK?

Hi all,

My brother and sister in law just got back from a trip to the UK (they are UK citizens and Aussie residents, been here 4 years) and had to take their kids to the doctor whilst there. Apparently they had to pay for this (30 quid per child) and they are now concerned that we will have to pay for health care when we move back to the UK with our new baby in December.

I have never heard of any returnees having to pay for health care and wonder what this is all about? I don't doubt that they did pay but they also have an alternative agenda of making the UK sound as problematic as possible to us as Oz of course is best......yawn....Anyway, if anyone can shed any light on why they had to pay and reassure me that we won't as returning UK citizens I'd be grateful!

Thanks,
Jessie
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:01 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying for health care in the UK?

I am not sure about the legalities of it, but on my visit back 18mths ago i got an ear infection and just went to my daughters GP, explained the situation and got free treatment.
I always assumed there was a recipricol agreement between Aus and UK. I might be wrong.
No doubt someone who knows for sure will come along soon.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:04 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jessie James
Hi all,

My brother and sister in law just got back from a trip to the UK (they are UK citizens and Aussie residents, been here 4 years) and had to take their kids to the doctor whilst there. Apparently they had to pay for this (30 quid per child) and they are now concerned that we will have to pay for health care when we move back to the UK with our new baby in December.

I have never heard of any returnees having to pay for health care and wonder what this is all about? I don't doubt that they did pay but they also have an alternative agenda of making the UK sound as problematic as possible to us as Oz of course is best......yawn....Anyway, if anyone can shed any light on why they had to pay and reassure me that we won't as returning UK citizens I'd be grateful!

Thanks,
Jessie
Some (not all) GP surgeries do make a charge if you are not RESIDENT in the UK - don't worry once you come back to the UK to live you will NOT be charged for healthcare and visits to the GP!

P.S we moved back to the UK last year from Oz and do not find it problematic at all - we absolutely love it!!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS is residence based not citizen based. If you return to take up perm residence then you're entitled to treatment. There is no agreement between the UK and Australia but can get NHS treatment if you're working overseas on a temp basis and have been away less than five years.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:09 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh i see. That explains my husbands situation when there. He is a New Zealander and was there on a 3yr work permit. He also got free NHS treatment.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Jessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pommybird
Some (not all) GP surgeries do make a charge if you are not RESIDENT in the UK - don't worry once you come back to the UK to live you will NOT be charged for healthcare and visits to the GP!

P.S we moved back to the UK last year from Oz and do not find it problematic at all - we absolutely love it!!

Ah, I see. Do you have to prove you are a resident? If so how do you go about doing that? We will be staying with my parents for a couple of months so won't have anything to say we are residents apart from our one way tickets!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:38 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jessie James
Ah, I see. Do you have to prove you are a resident? If so how do you go about doing that? We will be staying with my parents for a couple of months so won't have anything to say we are residents apart from our one way tickets!
No you don't have to show any proof - you WILL need to register at the local GP surgery though, make sure you do this as soon as possible - just give you parents address. You will also probably need your NHS numbers (this is found on your NHS cards - you will probably have to apply for a NHS number for the baby if he/she was born overseas - should come through v. quickly). Once registered any visits and treatment will be courtesy of the good old NHS!

Good luck with the move back!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pommybird
No you don't have to show any proof - you WILL need to register at the local GP surgery though, make sure you do this as soon as possible - just give you parents address. You will also probably need your NHS numbers (this is found on your NHS cards - you will probably have to apply for a NHS number for the baby if he/she was born overseas - should come through v. quickly). Once registered any visits and treatment will be courtesy of the good old NHS!

Good luck with the move back!
Mmmm, will have to dig out the old NHS cards....wish me luck with that! Thanks for the advice everyone - I swear this site is quicker and more efficient (not to mention human!) than Google!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

When you say NHS number, do you mean the old National Insurance number? I don't recall an NHS card but I haven't been in England for seven years so maybe it's changed.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:54 pm

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shivster
When you say NHS number, do you mean the old National Insurance number? I don't recall an NHS card but I haven't been in England for seven years so maybe it's changed.

Thats what I thought and when I registered with the doctor I wrote that down on the form, but no the nhs number is on your medical card. As I hadn't lived there for so long they issued me with a new one, and once they did I happen to find my old one from years ago. I'm a hoarder the amount of stuff I've carried around through the years is unreal. I even have in my purse still intact my NI card that was issued when I was 16.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

I'll have a dig through my England file. My NI number is the one number that's always stayed in my memory when I can never remember by PIN numbers for my ATM cards!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:37 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

NHS number is not the same as your NI number. It can be found on your British birth certificate. It may be similar to:

302-916-085

or

S196-1963-0185 or suchlike

Don't worry if you can't find it. I used to work for the Grampian Health Board many moons ago and regularly got new registration cards with no NHS number on them. Once you have re-registered with your new GP cards will be issued by your local health authority with your old NHS number on it.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:52 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Once you have re-registered with your new GP cards will be issued by your local health authority with your old NHS number on it.
Or not, as the case may be! We've had to register at two different health centres due to moving but spent 6 months+ at each address and have had no cards issued.

I don't recall ever having had an NHS card.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:07 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Your cards are usually issued when they have tracked your UK medical records down eg if you lived in Aberdeen, then emigrated and went back to UK to live in Newcastle, then the records would have to be tracked down the health authority archives in Aberdeen, retrieved, then forward to health authority in Newcastle who would then forward to your GP.

It can be a pretty slow process.

I remember unsuccessfuly trying to track down a guy who had a vasectomy. When I checked our databank he had moved abroad so we had no way of forwarding on his hospital letter informing him that his latest tests showed he STILL had a sperm count
Old Jul 10th 2007, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Just in case anyone knows anything about this sort of thing.

Due to medical probs I have to have a colonoscopy every year and a mammogram with scan every six months. If I got a letter from my surgeons over here, would I still get that on the NHS?

I'm just 40 so normally wouldn't have either in England.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.