Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Paying for health care in the UK?

Paying for health care in the UK?

Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying for health care in the UK?

Originally Posted by Shivster
Just in case anyone knows anything about this sort of thing.

Due to medical probs I have to have a colonoscopy every year and a mammogram with scan every six months. If I got a letter from my surgeons over here, would I still get that on the NHS?

I'm just 40 so normally wouldn't have either in England.

It will depend on your condition and the reason for the checks.

I had to have 6 monthly mamogram and ultrasound checks post cancer in the USA. On returning to the UK I was told it was unnessary and told to come back when I was 50 or if I felt a lump with regard to the breast.. (I have lumps I can't feel but can be seen under ultrasound). Also had uterine cancer. Had hysterectomy but they left ovaries intact. NHS cancer follow up is poor... I am currently argueing for regular checks of my ovaries.
I bought with me a surgeon letter stating I needed my ovaries removed now as I had reached 40.. The NHS refused. I also have private heath care that will not help.

I understand that frequent exposure from xrays etc is harmful, but for me I was more worried about getting cancer again.

Obviously I don't know your condition therefore cannot comment on what you will get. I do know there are guidlines here they follow, mostly controlled by budget and statistical risk.

It may be worth checking a UK site about your condition and asking them what the UK recomendations are with regard to ongiong tests.

Sorry I cannot be more positive, but hope you get the treatment you need.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your probs HM. My bazooka was the lumps sort of like pin heads that were on a lymph node hence the ultrasound. Colon thing was a whopping great pre cancerous polyp. I'm well under the age for both of them so doubted it was the sort of thing the NHS would follow up on.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your probs HM. My bazooka was the lumps sort of like pin heads that were on a lymph node hence the ultrasound. Colon thing was a whopping great pre cancerous polyp. I'm well under the age for both of them so doubted it was the sort of thing the NHS would follow up on.

I wish you luck and good health. I would advise researching NHS screening for your condition though, as I think you may be dissapointed as their screening is nothing like the USA.

I had lymph node surgery and still the NHS won't follow up..

I hope this doesn't sound too negative. I just don't want someone else to go through the worry and dissapointment I did... Just think checking it out first may avoid that.

I am a nurse in the NHS by the way... lol
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Were you a nurse over here or was it something you retrained in when you got home?

I'd have thought regular screening works out cheaper overall. I hope you get the follow up care you need.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Were you a nurse over here or was it something you retrained in when you got home?

I'd have thought regular screening works out cheaper overall. I hope you get the follow up care you need.
I have been a nurse for over 20 yrs, UK trained. I did get a US license when I was there also.

Comparing the cost of regular screening V not screening and treating those who need later.... Many thousands could end up being screened at a huge cost they deem unnecessary... Treating those who actually have a problem will mean many less people... Some will even be terminal by the time a diagnosis is made, with only a short time to live and have minimal or no costly treatment. It's all down to statistics and risk factors.

In the US it's private healthcare... They get paid..... They don't want to get sued... lol Sad but true
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by honeymommy
In the US it's private healthcare... They get paid..... They don't want to get sued... lol Sad but true
True enough! I had my colonoscopy because I had symptoms otherwise that wouldn't have been done til I was 50. Mammogram was done as my mum had breast cancer and it was picked up from that first mammogram. As it wasn't a lumpy thing it would have been left for years at home. Even with insurance the co-pays are killing me.

That said, I'm a huge NHS fan. I was thinking vaguely about nurse training when I move back but I'm 40 so prob to old to do all that study now.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

That said, I'm a huge NHS fan. I was thinking vaguely about nurse training when I move back but I'm 40 so prob to old to do all that study now.

I would advise against.. lol
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeymommy
I would advise against.. lol
So would I. I am a nurse in the NHS and it's terrible, your just a gloryfied admin person. If I was staying in the UK I'd be looking for a career change
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:21 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jessie James
Hi all,

My brother and sister in law just got back from a trip to the UK (they are UK citizens and Aussie residents, been here 4 years) and had to take their kids to the doctor whilst there. Apparently they had to pay for this (30 quid per child) and they are now concerned that we will have to pay for health care when we move back to the UK with our new baby in December.

I have never heard of any returnees having to pay for health care and wonder what this is all about? I don't doubt that they did pay but they also have an alternative agenda of making the UK sound as problematic as possible to us as Oz of course is best......yawn....Anyway, if anyone can shed any light on why they had to pay and reassure me that we won't as returning UK citizens I'd be grateful!

Thanks,
Jessie

As we found out - expensively to our pockets - when you emigrate and sign the old tax forms saying "non-resident" you therefore stop paying for the NHS, unless you buy the yearly stamps.

so - when you return and if you need treatment, and you give your name at reception, a lovely little number pops up next to your name saying you're not eligible for free NHS care as you're not a tax payer or stamp buyer.

me - 5 days in hospital, boy 1, 4 days in hospital, boy 2, broken leg ....... that'll be just under 2,500k thanks very much!!

lucky we have company insurance back here and I just submitted the receipts for repayment
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
So would I. I am a nurse in the NHS and it's terrible, your just a gloryfied admin person. If I was staying in the UK I'd be looking for a career change
But it looks so cool on ER and Holby
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Jessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by islandmom
As we found out - expensively to our pockets - when you emigrate and sign the old tax forms saying "non-resident" you therefore stop paying for the NHS, unless you buy the yearly stamps.

so - when you return and if you need treatment, and you give your name at reception, a lovely little number pops up next to your name saying you're not eligible for free NHS care as you're not a tax payer or stamp buyer.

me - 5 days in hospital, boy 1, 4 days in hospital, boy 2, broken leg ....... that'll be just under 2,500k thanks very much!!

lucky we have company insurance back here and I just submitted the receipts for repayment

Can I ask what tax forms you mean? I remember completing a UK form to get a tax rebate for that tax year when we moved here but don't remember anything about becoming a non-resident although the form was linked to leaving the UK.....wish I could remember!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Jessie James
Can I ask what tax forms you mean? I remember completing a UK form to get a tax rebate for that tax year when we moved here but don't remember anything about becoming a non-resident although the form was linked to leaving the UK.....wish I could remember!
when we got our P45's and all that we had to sign off, as well as child benefit and also the tax forms for our house we still own but rent out (non-resident means we are tax exempt on rental income).

what we do now is buy the yearly NI stamp - means we can get the NHS treatment free as we used to incase something happens like last year when son broke his leg!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

what we do now is buy the yearly NI stamp - means we can get the NHS treatment free as we used to incase something happens like last year when son broke his leg!
Paying National Insurance is not a basis for being eligible to use the NHS.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Paying National Insurance is not a basis for being eligible to use the NHS.
bloody hell - is it not? hubby just got back from the UK and was advised to do that as buying the stamps does the NHS .... has he been told wrong?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

bloody hell - is it not? hubby just got back from the UK and was advised to do that as buying the stamps does the NHS .... has he been told wrong?
National Insurance is nothing to do with the NHS. The NHS is soley funded by tax contributions. It's residence based not citizenship based.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.