Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Paying bills with no bank account

Paying bills with no bank account

Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Paying bills with no bank account

I am waiting for a notice from the council tax to show it is in my name which will allow me to open a bank account. In the meantime I have my rent to pay. I know the post office offers a Moneygram service where the money, I believe, goes straight into a bank account on arrival. I have been told it is an expensive service to use but I don't know for sure. Are there any other ways I can pay it until I get my bank account set up?

Not sure if the old postal order system is still in existence or not.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 5:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying bills with no bank account

Ask in the post office is there is still the old Postal order is still about. Or what about cash so long as you are given a receipt on the spot. Credit card?
Old Aug 11th 2015, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Ask in the post office is there is still the old Postal order is still about. Or what about cash so long as you are given a receipt on the spot. Credit card?
I managed to get someone at the post office as they were about to close. She said they still have postal orders with a max amount per postal order of £250. She said to call back tomorrow and she would tell me more because they were closing.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 8:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

what about paying for everything in cash or with one of those cash cards, even a credit card?
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by not2old
what about paying for everything in cash or with one of those cash cards, even a credit card?
My landlord is not local so that rules out cash.

When you say "cash card" do you mean those prepaid cards? I have seen those in the USA but wasn't aware the UK had them.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong

When you say "cash card" do you mean those prepaid cards? I have seen those in the USA but wasn't aware the UK had them.

The UK does have them.

Or, get your landlord's bank details for direct deposit, go in to bank, deposit cash into his/her account. Or transfer rent from whatever account your money is in ATM (if it's not all cash under the mattress)
Old Aug 12th 2015, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

The UK has had them for many years. There are loads of them and you can get them in various currencies as well. I used to have a Euro one for continental travel and added extra load when the exchange rate versus £ was good.

Can you not get your landlords bank details and just transfer the rent online?
Old Aug 12th 2015, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Does you rent letter not have your address on it? if not get the landlord to give you the details in letter for and then take it to a bank, what about the Electoral role or a letter from the Doctors either of these should have your address on it. Can you not just pay cash into your landlords bank account for now, always keep the receipt though to prove you have done son. Good luck with everything
Old Aug 12th 2015, 12:16 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

to the post office or any bank & get a money order or bank draft.

Alternate is 'Western Union' available in the UK in your area... do a google
Old Aug 12th 2015, 10:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Providing you have your landlord's account number and sort code you can just physically go into a branch of their bank and pay your rent directly into their account with cash.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 11:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Providing you have your landlord's account number and sort code you can just physically go into a branch of their bank and pay your rent directly into their account with cash.
Exactly what I was about to type.

Easey peasey lemon squeezy & no hassles.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can put cash into someone else's account. My bank doesn't allow it.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 7:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
I don't think you can put cash into someone else's account. My bank doesn't allow it.
Most banks do allow it. my friends and Family and I never have any issues doing that. All you need is the account name, sort code and account number.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Most banks do allow it. my friends and Family and I never have any issues doing that. All you need is the account name, sort code and account number.
+1.

I'm curious to know which bank doesn't allow it.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 7:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
+1.

I'm curious to know which bank doesn't allow it.
Thinking back, the only time I've encountered a problem in 35 years of banking was when my mate in Guernsey tried to deposit cash into my LLoyds account, they said they could accept a cheque but not cash, but I think that was because of offshore rules, being the Channel Islands. Never had a problem on mainland UK or Northern Ireland,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.