Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

WHICH PASSPORT SHOULD I USE?

Wikiposts

WHICH PASSPORT SHOULD I USE?

Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

sianukusa is a jewel in the roughsianukusa is a jewel in the roughsianukusa is a jewel in the roughsianukusa is a jewel in the rough
Default WHICH PASSPORT SHOULD I USE?

I am planning to move back to the UK after living in America for the past 7 years. I am a British citizen, my husband American and 2 children born in America but have both UK and USA passports. I know we have to apply for a spouse visa for my husband to move back with us.

I am going to get my American citizenship prior to leaving as it will just make things easier for coming back to America to visit family etc. so I will then have 2 passports.

From what I understand American citizens have to leave America on an American passport. So does this mean when we leave America I have to use my American passport and enter the advanced passenger info with these details, then when I arrive at heathrow London can I give my UK passport ??

I have recently read that the advanced information you give when booking the flight has to be the same when you enter the country of destination. Is this correct?? Obviously I need to enter the UK on a UK passport, as will my daughters, to allow us to remain

Any information in this would be greatly appreciated
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHICH PASSPORT SHOULD I USE?

Enter your family's US passport details for API and present your British passports at the UK border.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sianukusa
I am planning to move back to the UK after living in America for the past 7 years. I am a British citizen, my husband American and 2 children born in America but have both UK and USA passports. I know we have to apply for a spouse visa for my husband to move back with us.

I am going to get my American citizenship prior to leaving as it will just make things easier for coming back to America to visit family etc. so I will then have 2 passports.

From what I understand American citizens have to leave America on an American passport. So does this mean when we leave America I have to use my American passport and enter the advanced passenger info with these details, then when I arrive at heathrow London can I give my UK passport ??

I have recently read that the advanced information you give when booking the flight has to be the same when you enter the country of destination. Is this correct?? Obviously I need to enter the UK on a UK passport, as will my daughters, to allow us to remain

Any information in this would be greatly appreciated
You must use your US PP to leave the US. Any information you give to the airline should be from your US PP. As you wish to enter the UK as a UK resident all UK citizens should enter using their UK PPs. If you enter using your US PP...you will enter as a visitor...not a resident. If you were only visiting the UK...you could use either PP.

Many dual UK/US citizens...myself included...use their UK PP to enter the UK even if we are visiting the UK.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

sianukusa is a jewel in the roughsianukusa is a jewel in the roughsianukusa is a jewel in the roughsianukusa is a jewel in the rough

Does it matter how long a US citizen is out of the country ? Can we leave on a one way ticket ?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Does it matter how long a US citizen is out of the country ? Can we leave on a one way ticket ?
Yes. If you have a problem on boarding...which I doubt...show them your UK PPs and your husband's UK visa.

You will probably find purchasing a round trip ticket cheaper than buy an one way ticket anyway.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

And if I get a round trip and don't use the return flight will that matter to USA ? Or would I just get an open ended return flight - do they still exist ?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

And if I get a round trip and don't use the return flight will that matter to USA ? Or would I just get an open ended return flight - do they still exist ?
You are under no obligation to use the return ticket.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info. This is one less thing I have to worry about with the big move !!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for the info. This is one less thing I have to worry about with the big move !!
Some have posted that if you call and cancel the return ticket you will be refunded the taxes. No idea if this is correct.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Some have posted that if you call and cancel the return ticket you will be refunded the taxes. No idea if this is correct.
It certainly was the case for me not using the return portion of a ticket back to Australia and my son had done the same thing 10 yrs prior. I called shortly before I was due to leave and said that family circumstances had changed and I was no longer able to fly. They first said they would change the return date to 12 months later which suited me fine (just in case and all that) but close to the 12 month mark I called again and said I wasn't likely to be able to use it and they credited the tax component back onto the card I had paid with. (Accolades for Qantas at this point but I would imagine it is standard practice)