Parents of School kids

Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents of School kids

its not only the kids who have to bring in supplies. I am amazed at the number of teachers who come into our store (joann's) to buy felt for notice boards, black material for halloween etc etc. It does make me wonder what our taxes are actually paying for
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
its not only the kids who have to bring in supplies. I am amazed at the number of teachers who come into our store (joann's) to buy felt for notice boards, black material for halloween etc etc. It does make me wonder what our taxes are actually paying for
Teachers are given money for classroom supplies each year. Unfortunately its not a lot, but they determine what it is spent on.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:51 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jjmb
Speaking as a worker in an before- and after-school program, the budget in this program does not pay for much extras. I probably spend about half of what I earn (which isn't much!!) on arts and crafts supplies/games etc. for the kids. I enjoy working with them though and don't begrudge the money I spend for extras .
Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Sometimes the school will bulk buy the supplies for the parents and them sell the supplies to them at cost.....
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

We got a huge long list, and also the option to buy through some internet agency that would deliver the lot and give a cut to the PTA. Unfortunately I forgot to get the order in on time However there was no flexibility on the ordering system (and the cost was around about $100 per child). As I already have stuff they used last term (I don't need to buy more crayons or pens for example) it didn't seem that sensible. I am assuming that the stuff is all for my children, and was intending to label it all (my son in particular loses everything) would that be a bad thing?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Wish our PTA helped out...but they don't so it's off to Target for me. DS is starting High School so don't even get me started on the amount of money involved for things such as band uniforms, tennis uniforms etc. etc.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Wish our PTA helped out...but they don't so it's off to Target for me. DS is starting High School so don't even get me started on the amount of money involved for things such as band uniforms, tennis uniforms etc. etc.
Most of the stores in the area around here (Target, WalMart, etc) offer very reduced prices on school supplies. I was in Target yesterday and picked up a two pack of glue sticks for 22 cents. My husband is pretty amazed at how cheap crayons are as well. Is it the same where you live? Certainly something I'm not used to, but then again I never had to provide supplies for my older children.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Most of the stores in the area around here (Target, WalMart, etc) offer very reduced prices on school supplies. I was in Target yesterday and picked up a two pack of glue sticks for 22 cents. My husband is pretty amazed at how cheap crayons are as well. Is it the same where you live? Certainly something I'm not used to, but then again I never had to provide supplies for my older children.
Yes, I can get pretty good deals too. Sometimes my kids (who are 11 and 13) get a bit picky about what brand highlighters we get....stuff that and I also tell them that if they feel they need that super duper mechanical pencil that costs twice as much as a regular one then they can buy it out of their pocket money....soon shuts then up !
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, I can get pretty good deals too. Sometimes my kids (who are 11 and 13) get a bit picky about what brand highlighters we get....stuff that and I also tell them that if they feel they need that super duper mechanical pencil that costs twice as much as a regular one then they can buy it out of their pocket money....soon shuts then up !
My daughter will be 7 next week and not yet picky about supplies. She's more picky about her backpack. Thankfully it can be a present as well as something she needs.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

My daughter will be 7 next week and not yet picky about supplies. She's more picky about her backpack. Thankfully it can be a present as well as something she needs.
Ah yes, the big back pack question My kids have so much stuff to carry around with them that we visit a chiropractor on a regular basis...and the roll along ones are so uncool (unfortunately)
Having been a teacher in the UK I would have loved all these supplies in my classroom rather than scratching about trying to find a decent set of crayons by the end of Autumn term. I remember my friend had to paint newspaper white so that the kids that she taught could have paper to draw on.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Having been a teacher in the UK I would have loved all these supplies in my classroom rather than scratching about trying to find a decent set of crayons by the end of Autumn term. I remember my friend had to paint newspaper white so that the kids that she taught could have paper to draw on.
I didn't realize that. I've not had any real experience with UK schools - apart from my older daughter who did a few classes when we moved over there.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didn't realize that. I've not had any real experience with UK schools - apart from my older daughter who did a few classes when we moved over there.
I was really shocked when we first moved here and had to provide all these supplies and I know that the teachers my kids have had have always spent a lot of their own money on things for their classrooms....that's why so many of them appreciate gift vouchers for Christmas !
Old Jul 28th 2008, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisag8070
The list for 2nd grade here is:

4 one subject spiral notebooks
2 packs of pencil top erasers (20 per pack)
6 large erasers
A lot of pencils! (36) (not mechanical)
8 glue sticks
2 packets of 4 Dry erase markers (one with eraser)
at least 2 large boxes of tissues
2 rolls of paper towels
2 pack coloured pencils (12 pack)
1 8-pack of washable markers
2 scissors (fiskars)
plastic pencil box
2 packages regular ruled loose leaf paper
4 boxes of 24 count crayons
A book bag
2 (large) containers of Antibacterial wipes
2 (ex large) antibacterial hand sanitizer
4 Antibacterial Soap
4 plastic (with pockets) folders
1 packet (200 sheets) of coloured paper

and then they'll ask for more in about 3 months...which is why I spend soo much...
I don't understand the concept of buying for a communal stock pile. Can't you just send you kids in with a notebook and pencil case? Its worked that way for years and its not open to abuse by pikie parents.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elliott
I don't understand the concept of buying for a communal stock pile. Can't you just send you kids in with a notebook and pencil case? Its worked that way for years and its not open to abuse by pikie parents.
I've found that as my kids get older then the teacher's ask less and less for packs of crayons, glue sticks etc. and expect the kids to be mature enough to keep their own things...getting some kids in Elementary school to remember what day it is let alone where their crayons are is a whole different ball game !
Old Jul 28th 2008, 6:22 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elliott
I really wish I could just send her in with a notebook and pencil...but alas this is the way its done here and thats the way everyone does it so I must comply with the rules...

Although saying that this year I'm writing my daughters name all over the stuff I send in...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.