Reload this Page >

Parent's moving back in England

Parent's moving back in England

Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Jane07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parent's moving back in England

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. My in-laws have currently been living in Spain for 17years. Due to the ill health of my mother in-law they need to move back to England in be near family. All the research I have completed appears that they can not access the NHS unless they have been back for at least 6months, at that correct? She is currently on medication & has been in hospital twice in the past month, therefore cannot wait 6months. Any advice welcome, thank you.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent's moving back in England

Originally Posted by Jane07
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. My in-laws have currently been living in Spain for 17years. Due to the ill health of my mother in-law they need to move back to England in be near family. All the research I have completed appears that they can not access the NHS unless they have been back for at least 6months, at that correct? She is currently on medication & has been in hospital twice in the past month, therefore cannot wait 6months. Any advice welcome, thank you.
I'm guessing that your in-laws are British, so as long as they move back with the intention of staying (ie are not just back for a holiday) then they can access the NHS immediately on arrival.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:32 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
No, they will be able to access the NHS from day 1 as they will be permanent residents. The 6 months applies to people just moving back for a short while.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm guessing that your in-laws are British, so as long as they move back with the intention of staying (ie are not just back for a holiday) then they can access the NHS immediately on arrival.
Thank you for your reply, yes they are British but she got charged by the nhs a couple of years ago when she needed treatment when they were back on holiday.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No, they will be able to access the NHS from day 1 as they will be permanent residents. The 6 months applies to people just moving back for a short while.
Thank you for your reply. I hope you are right.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 1:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply, yes they are British but she got charged by the nhs a couple of years ago when she needed treatment when they were back on holiday.
That's because use of NHS services at no charge is based on residency, not nationality. When your mum-in-law was here on holiday she was a visitor to the UK, not a resident. I hope everything goes well for them both.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

That's because use of NHS services at no charge is based on residency, not nationality. When your mum-in-law was here on holiday she was a visitor to the UK, not a resident. I hope everything goes well for them both.
Thank you, fingers crossed.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 1:08 pm
Concierge

Thank you, fingers crossed.
Honestly Jane, you don't have to cross your fingers. The moment your in-laws return to the UK with the intention of living there permanently, they can access the full range of no charge NHS services just like they'd never been away.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly Jane, you don't have to cross your fingers. The moment your in-laws return to the UK with the intention of living there permanently, they can access the full range of no charge NHS services just like they'd never been away.

When we moved back in 2016 after 29 years abroad we registered at our local GP surgery, and I booked an appointment to see a GP the following week as I had a prescription I needed transferring. She said that the prescription is exactly what she prescribes for the same condition and wrote out a prescription for me. However, I would advise your in-laws to have a good supply of their medications in case the process takes a few weeks to get through.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by durham_lad

When we moved back in 2016 after 29 years abroad we registered at our local GP surgery, and I booked an appointment to see a GP the following week as I had a prescription I needed transferring. She said that the prescription is exactly what she prescribes for the same condition and wrote out a prescription for me. However, I would advise your in-laws to have a good supply of their medications in case the process takes a few weeks to get through.
Thank you for your advice.