Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Paddington Station question...

Paddington Station question...

Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:24 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Paddington Station question...

Hi All,

Just a couple of questions about travel on London underground.

The wife and I are shortly getting on a plane at Heathrow to emigrate to the USA (for the second time!).

This time though - we've decided to take the Heathrow Express train from Paddington underground , to Heathrow Airport.

My question is - are there TWO stations at Paddington? It looks like there are on the London underground map (unusually!)

If so - which one do we need? The one that sits on the Pink (Hammersmith and city) line? Or the one that sits on the Yellow and Green (circle and district line)?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated - as I've never been to Paddington before (we usually travel to Heathrow entirely on the tube via the Picadilly line - which takes AGES. Using the Heathrow Express is alot quicker it seems.

Many thanks in advance,

Bumpkin
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:26 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paddington Station question...

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
Hi All,

Just a couple of questions about travel on London underground.

The wife and I are shortly getting on a plane at Heathrow to emigrate to the USA (for the second time!).

This time though - we've decided to take the Heathrow Express train from Paddington underground , to Heathrow Airport.

My question is - are there TWO stations at Paddington? It looks like there are on the London underground map (unusually!)

If so - which one do we need? The one that sits on the Pink (Hammersmith and city) line? Or the one that sits on the Yellow and Green (circle and district line)?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated - as I've never been to Paddington before (we usually travel to Heathrow entirely on the tube via the Picadilly line - which takes AGES. Using the Heathrow Express is alot quicker it seems.

Many thanks in advance,

Bumpkin
You need to go the mainline/British Rail station that is named Paddington. That's where the Heathrow Express starts and terminates.

There should be reasonable signage from the Tube directing you to Paddington mainline station.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

The previous answer is correct, you do want hte aminline station. A fuller answer to your question is that - as you have seen - several different tube lines stop at Paddington. Both at the station, howevber the entrance gates are at opposite ends of the mainline station so London commuters wishing to change tube lines here must go through ticket barriers, unlike at most other tube stations. That's why it is marked on the map as different stations. The bit you need to know is that they are both part of the train station complex so don't worry.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wongstonn
The previous answer is correct, you do want hte aminline station. A fuller answer to your question is that - as you have seen - several different tube lines stop at Paddington. Both at the station, howevber the entrance gates are at opposite ends of the mainline station so London commuters wishing to change tube lines here must go through ticket barriers, unlike at most other tube stations. That's why it is marked on the map as different stations. The bit you need to know is that they are both part of the train station complex so don't worry.
I think there's less of a walk involved if you arrive at the Circle Line tube station.

Jeremy
Old Feb 15th 2005, 7:51 am
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Thank you all!!!...