Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Packing - How brutal were you?

Packing - How brutal were you?

Old Sep 4th 2010, 10:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packing - How brutal were you?

Originally Posted by MsElui
Even after getting rid of so much - I still have a few items here after almost 3 years that I haven't used in reality. Its stuff that doesn't really suit our new US way of life so I have 2 or 3 boxes of assorted crap in the basement that i intend to flog at a garage sale one day.
Yes, but just think.. over here it is special *foreign* tat & therefore special!
You'll get a good price!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Yep - we were brutal too. But luckily our family were swarming like vultures
We were pretty much picked clean by friends

No idea why we left a very good lawnmower and now have one that had been left on the kerbside with a 'free' notice on it.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:44 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We ran down our food so only had a few boxes that family took (at one point there was almost a fight about who was taking a half full jar of marmite, I said we needed it just to end the discussion). Booze was either drunk in a alcohol haze filled last week or put in cases. Electricals were taked by friends and family. Books we didn't want went to charity and we had a few runs to the dump.
Our stuff is on the container ship now so I'll probably find all sorts of crap I don't need here. The packing guys packed everything in sight, even stuff that we were told we couldn't ship.
Good luck!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:28 am
Bulldawgy dawg

Location: Currently living in Medway, Kent UK. Hoping to be living in the Tr-Cities, Washington state, USA
Master_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really nice

I too am facing this packing malarky. I've decided that the essentials to bring to the States when the time comes are: My music collection, my Star Wars collection (proudly put on display, I've already claimed the OH's office!), my clothes and my books. I'll also take the lappy over and I have to take my study folders and work related paperwork. I'm dumping or selling various other stuff including my beloved Gibson SG guitar and Peavy amp, a techno keyboard, a electronic drum kit (yup, boys toys!) and a TV I only bought this June for the world cup! I'll probably try an auction it all off on Facebook!

Luckily for me, my beloved has pretty much everything I need already and is a devout "minimalist" so no clutter.

As a side note....I'm currently undergoing a strange phenomenon where I am buying anything with a Union Jack on!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Master_Bulldog
As a side note....I'm currently undergoing a strange phenomenon where I am buying anything with a Union Jack on!
Ooh i thought that was just me! So far we have: rug in kids room, tea towel, two cake tins, tshirt and a bandana for my son
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:00 am
Bulldawgy dawg

Location: Currently living in Medway, Kent UK. Hoping to be living in the Tr-Cities, Washington state, USA
Master_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really nice

Originally Posted by Madelina
Ooh i thought that was just me! So far we have: rug in kids room, tea towel, two cake tins, tshirt and a bandana for my son
I feel found! LOL

I have a nice collection of union jack T shirts and various British bulldog toys!

Oh yes...I have England socks as well!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha - me too! I would never have all the union Jack stuff in the UK - but here I have a pendant on the kitchen wall, cake tine, trays, and I have just found a new accessorize shop in DC - so went in and bout a bag and a keyring as well !
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:14 am
Bulldawgy dawg

Originally Posted by katybluewater
Haha - me too! I would never have all the union Jack stuff in the UK - but here I have a pendant on the kitchen wall, cake tine, trays, and I have just found a new accessorize shop in DC - so went in and bout a bag and a keyring as well !
I'm trying to convince the missus that a Union Jack flag would be cool...so far she isn't buying the idea...
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

We've a 25ft container coming. One third is our videogames collection, one third is furniture, dvds books and clothes and the final third is arcade machines.
We brought nothing electrical with us (except game consoles). We've taken the opportunity to get rid of a lot of our old stuff and buy new here, giving all our plates, pots and pans etc to neighbours and the in-laws. We were brutal in our clearing out, only books, DVDs and all the game related stuff was packed intact. Everything else was picked over item by item and ruthlessly binned/donated or kept.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Seeing as this thread has been resurrected, I thought I'd update with how our move went. We were in furnished accommodation paid for by my husband's employers for the first 3 months. So, we had our things collected about a week before departing the UK, stored for a while (in Swindon), before shipping so that the container arrived in Minneapolis a couple of weeks before we were ready for it, and allowing for delays at customs.
The most impressive bit was that nothing at all got broken in the move. Actually, it's a tie between that and how quickly the movers got the stuff into our apartment on moving day We were quite bemused by some of the items we discovered when unpacking - a sandwich toaster that is no use to us, and a hairdryer. There were a few other items we would have chosen to leave or throw out if we had been packing ourselves, but never mind.
We shipped some stuff by air freight, mostly my husband's MBA books, some laptop related electronics and some shoes. If I had to do it again, I would include some kitchen utensils - despite the fact we were in furnished, I found we were missing items like a potato peeler, masher (so now we have 3 plus a ricer ) and measuring cups. It was definitely worth putting the DVDs in the air freight, as the cable package we have was quite bewildering at first.
In terms of getting rid of stuff, we managed a combination of selling and giving away to family and friends. The CRT television went to my mother's in the end.
Good luck to everyone else preparing for their move!

ETA - stock up here for Union Jack stuff - http://www.dotcomgiftshop.com/
I'm still kicking myself for not buying the doormat before we left.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:42 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure if I should semi hi-jack this thread or start my own, but here goes. Mods feel free to move

I'm having a dilemma about what to take and what to leave. I am in the somewhat enviable position of living with my parents here in England right now, and it's no problem for me to leave stuff here long term, so decisions aren't as final as they could be.

What I'm wondering about is what the import duty laws and people's actual experience at POE are? I know as a visitor I had a very low threshold for things I could bring in which were going to remain in the US. I've already made use of my previous visits to get some clothes and odd items across. Now it comes to the big move, what happens? Seen a I'll be entering with the intention of staying, are there different limits and if so what are they? I'm particularly worried because I am (or at least was at one point) a semi-professional musician and some of the stuff I'm intending to take has a pretty high value - if they want to charge me duty at a percentage of value I could get really badly smashed.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

I thought duty was only on stuff you'd just bought and were bringing in so if it's items you already own then there's nothing to pay? I brought my iMac over as checked in luggage and no-one batted an eye lid at customs even when they asked what was in the box.
Wouldn't people get stung every time they brought their laptops over or ipods, cameras etc if it wasn't that way?

I'm only guessing and wondering the same here, I don't know the actual rules.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
I thought duty was only on stuff you'd just bought and were bringing in so if it's items you already own then there's nothing to pay? I brought my iMac over as checked in luggage and no-one batted an eye lid at customs even when they asked what was in the box.
Wouldn't people get stung every time they brought their laptops over or ipods, cameras etc if it wasn't that way?

I'm only guessing and wondering the same here, I don't know the actual rules.
I think it's for things within 12 months they can charge duty, but as long as it's clearly not brand new in the box it generally won't be a problem.

As for limits on bringing stuff in because it's the big move, no difference there, so whatever the airline allows plus excess if you go over.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:14 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

I'm just wondering because I know the regulations say a USC can bring in $800 worth of things they bought abroad when they return, with various restrictions on that. Added together my electronic equipment would definitely be worth more than that. I'm totting up and I don't think it's going to be a huge amount of money regardless, but now I'm curious as to what the rules actually are.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 5:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malashaan
I'm just wondering because I know the regulations say a USC can bring in $800 worth of things they bought abroad when they return, with various restrictions on that. Added together my electronic equipment would definitely be worth more than that. I'm totting up and I don't think it's going to be a huge amount of money regardless, but now I'm curious as to what the rules actually are.
No, no.. they make it easy for you. Go up to the wiki and find the US article Immigrant Visa arrival. Even if the visa details are different for you (you're a K, yes?) look for the Customs link I put in there. It explains how you're an 'arriving immigrant' with a different allowance.

The packing of your fragiles? Well, I'll leave that one to you. Our only real casualty was a broken headstock on the Martin acoustic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.