Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

P85 tax back and moving back to UK

P85 tax back and moving back to UK

Old May 27th 2009, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice
Default P85 tax back and moving back to UK

Hi

I'm going back (permanently) to the UK from the USA in August and submitted my P85 only a few weeks ago (I left in early September) and now I've discovered the accompanying letter I meant to send with the P85 etc. in my stuff! eek! So all my local tax office will get is my p85 and the statement of earnings that my previous company in the UK sent me as I couldn't access my p45 at the time (it's in the UK) :/. Will this be a huge issue? If I don't hear anything by my return date will I still be able to claim when I'm back in the UK? (I nominated my bank account in the UK which still is registered to a UK address to pay the money into)

If the p85 was lost or not processed will I be able to still apply for it when I'm back in the UK?

Also, since I'm moving back to the UK, do I file my US taxes at the end of the year as normal? -looking at the IRS website this is what it leads me to believe.

When I filed my p85 I hadn't decided to return to the UK but after a lot of thought over the last couple of weeks I've decided I want to get back to "my life" - which I've come to realise is back in the UK.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Last edited by ellimere; May 27th 2009 at 4:34 pm. Reason: sentence added
Old May 27th 2009, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all
Default Re: P85 tax back and moving back to UK

Originally Posted by ellimere
Hi

I'm going back (permanently) to the UK from the USA in August and submitted my P85 only a few weeks ago (I left in early September) and now I've discovered the accompanying letter I meant to send with the P85 etc. in my stuff! eek! So all my local tax office will get is my p85 and the statement of earnings that my previous company in the UK sent me as I couldn't access my p45 at the time (it's in the UK) :/. Will this be a huge issue? If I don't hear anything by my return date will I still be able to claim when I'm back in the UK? (I nominated my bank account in the UK which still is registered to a UK address to pay the money into)

If the p85 was lost or not processed will I be able to still apply for it when I'm back in the UK?

Also, since I'm moving back to the UK, do I file my US taxes at the end of the year as normal? -looking at the IRS website this is what it leads me to believe.

When I filed my p85 I hadn't decided to return to the UK but after a lot of thought over the last couple of weeks I've decided I want to get back to "my life" - which I've come to realise is back in the UK.

Thanks for all your help in advance.
As you have not been out of the UK for a complete income tax year, you remain resident in the UK throughout 2008/09 & 2009/10 for IT purposes. I don't know what you stated concerning your intentions on the P85 but unless you said the move was permanent, you will not get a repayment at this stage. If however a repayment is due it should, in theory, be sent to your UK a/c.

Have you been employed in the US during this time? If so, you will be liable to UK tax on your US income but double taxation relief will be available. It is unlikely however that any repayment (of UK tax) is due if this is the case.

I know nothing about filing a US return but under the UK/USA DTA as you have not spent 183 days of the 2008 US tax year in the US the income is taxable in the UK.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any further questions as your tax affairs are not simple (for these 2 years at least).
Old May 27th 2009, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Found a copy of my statement of earnings -
6th April to 29th August 2008
Taxable Earnings - 5616.70
Tax Paid - 670.00

I'm a dual national and was employed for a few months working part time in the USA but am currently not working and wasn't working when I filled out the p85 so did not input any employment details. - My employment over here in the USA was as an American citizen so my SS, Fed and state tax was all paid out of my earnings.

Do HMRC need to know I worked for a few months since I was employed "out of the box" as a US citizen? Is there a way that they can find out?
Old May 27th 2009, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ellimere
Found a copy of my statement of earnings -
6th April to 29th August 2008
Taxable Earnings - 5616.70
Tax Paid - 670.00

I'm a dual national and was employed for a few months working part time in the USA but am currently not working and wasn't working when I filled out the p85 so did not input any employment details. - My employment over here in the USA was as an American citizen so my SS, Fed and state tax was all paid out of my earnings.

Do HMRC need to know I worked for a few months since I was employed "out of the box" as a US citizen? Is there a way that they can find out?
I have answered via a PM.