Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed and just want to go home

Overwhelmed and just want to go home

Old Jun 7th 2019, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Overwhelmed and just want to go home

​​​​I haven't 'settled' in Australia (25 years) OR in New Zealand (14 years) since I've been away from the UK. Yes, I'm in my 50's ... AM I? Where did all those years go?
I have two brothers and a sister still in the UK, but can't stay with them as we have 2x dogs and a cat that we have to pick up from the airport within 5 days of our arrival! eeek!
Finally I'm in a position where my kiwi partner of 4 years wants to come 'home' with me! Whoop Whoop!
My plan is to live near the Aberdeenshire coast where my father was from, leaving New Zealand in September 2019 at the latest... I lived in Australia to start with and became an Australian citizen, which enables me to live permanently in NZ.
I seem to be going around in circles and losing my mind Soo much to organise as well as working is doing my head in! aaarg!!! There is an unending list of things to do which just seems to get bigger every day!
  1. Selling 'stuff' we don't need ... (TIME CONSUMING)
  2. Applying for partner's settlement Visa ... (Don't even GO there!)
  3. Organising International Pet transport for my children ... 2x Foxies and a cat called Dennis the Menace (Only 10 different companies to choose from)
  4. Looking for a job to go to in UK (who will wait for 3 months before I get there)
  5. Looking for a rental property in the UK (that accepts pets) even though they have brilliant references
  6. Finding a shipping company to send the few things we can't live without (Latest is 'Pack & Send')
On a shoestring budget with a 'will of iron' and fierce determination (the Scottish half) I am ploughing ahead with my plan.
I'm sure 'in the end' it will all come together, but at present I'm struggling and often have doubts about whether I am ever going to get back
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated to help me achieve my dream of "Going Home"
Old Jun 7th 2019, 6:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Overwhelmed and just want to go home

Originally Posted by Gypsy888
I'm sure 'in the end' it will all come together, but at present I'm struggling and often have doubts about whether I am ever going to get back
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated to help me achieve my dream of "Going Home"
No help but a lot of cyber support .
It is a huge undertaking and I do think that a move back is far harder than a move out.

Hugs .

Old Jun 7th 2019, 6:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

First suggestion.

It has been previously mentioned by BritInParis in whom we can be rest assured he knows his stuff inside and out, but being married before you leave these shores simplifies the process the UK end.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It can seem daunting. But, in 2016, we were at the point where you are now except for needing a spouse visa. Except possibly more broke as I was unemployed and had been some time. We had made the decision that we would go back if I got a job offer back in the UK. One Tuesday I got the offer. Conditional that I could start the following Tuesday! So, we had a week to do it all. I was still holding a garage sale to sell the last of our belongings on the morning of the flight! But, we got there.

Inwould say the spouse visa is the number 1 priority, followed by getting the pets ready. We used Dogtainers who were excellent. Be aware their flights are likely to be the biggest cost by far.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

I'm overwhelmed too, moving to the UK after a long time away is daunting and I'm only single and bringing back a few boxes of stuff. My plan is around $20,000 NZD by October next year, but I wish I could go this year too (I could of course but not sure it'd be a good idea). The selling stuff is the hardest I have found. Getting job there might be second (that's why I'm saving so much) Best of luck with everything!

Last edited by Celticprince_86; Jun 8th 2019 at 7:28 am.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 11:30 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with a lot of this apart from to remind you to please BREATHE occasionally, but:

3. Just used Dogtainers to move two elderly cats from Sydney to Seattle - absolutely brilliant in both advice and process.
6. My personal effects (10 tea chests) are currently in Los Angeles, having taken two days from pickup in Sydney to clearing US customs, with Pack & Send. I can't give them a glowing reference until they arrive safely in Seattle but so far so good.

Obviously both of these are very much dependent on their local offices and personnel. My nearest Pack & Send office never returned a phone call. The second nearest (which actually turned out to be the most convenient) was great.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Thank you everyone, it's great to feel I'm not alone and that there are people out there willing to offer help

I'm waiting on a quote from Dogtainers in Auckland ... so far the costs range from NZ$4,800 up to NZ$8,600 for my 2 x Foxies and our cat! More than for the two of us!

Pack and Send here in Nelson were lovely on the phone, and the first to tell us about the "Transfer of Residence" form on Gov.UK that we have to fill out ... Nooooo, not ANOTHER form!!??

I'm 'ploughing' through the Spouse Visa form slowly.

What is REALLY worrying my partner is having to wait 6 months before he can work. He thinks he'll go mad
Old Jun 9th 2019, 4:57 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

What is REALLY worrying my partner is having to wait 6 months before he can work. He thinks he'll go mad
I'm going to be in a similar position in the US - I'm entitled to work but my paperwork can take that long. I'm planning to enjoy getting to know my new home and to try to find some voluntary work to meet some of my kind of people (I'm a NFP worker) as opposed to being purely an appendage to my corporate husband I did similar in Singapore and can thoroughly recommend it to your husband.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 7:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Why does he think that’s the case? He’ll be able to work as soon as he arrives with his spouse visa.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Why does he think that’s the case? He’ll be able to work as soon as he arrives with his spouse visa.
OH!? I didn't realise that! I was of the understanding that he had to be in the UK for 6 months before he's allowed to work WELL that changes the plan of attack considerably! Yippee
Old Jun 9th 2019, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

ChiJan is an unknown quantity at this point

Gypsy888, Dear Hubby and I are in a similar boat, except that we went ahead and moved him over (so he could get back on the NHS and continue his cancer treatment), then I just moved the cat over (after re-homing his two elderly brothers), and now I'm back in Chicago getting the condo sold and shipping the stuff we can't live without. While I was there getting kitty settled (and having some long needed in-person time with DH), I went to see an immigration solicitor. We used a lawyer here in the US to get his visa and permanent residency. It costs a bit, but save much in stress and piece of mind. I'm waiting for the initial brief, but I'll be really happy if a work permit is immediate!
Old Aug 13th 2019, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

I arrived in the uk yesterday without hubby and pets Today looking for a small, cheap car for work, which I start next monday.
Car insurance quotes are horrendous! AND I don't keep my no claims that I've had for 30 years in NZ. I'M a "foreigner" in everyone's eyes because I haven't lived here for 35 years
Cheapest car insurance I've found is with "Admiral", but it's £600 per year for 3rd party on a £1000 car!!!!!
Any suggestions?????
Feeling depressed already.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Aviva accepted my son’s no claims record from his USA insurer. Maybe give them a try. You will need to get a letter from your old insurer which our son was able to do online from England and get a pdf letter emailed to him.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived in the uk yesterday without hubby and pets Today looking for a small, cheap car for work, which I start next monday.
Car insurance quotes are horrendous! AND I don't keep my no claims that I've had for 30 years in NZ. I'M a "foreigner" in everyone's eyes because I haven't lived here for 35 years
Cheapest car insurance I've found is with "Admiral", but it's £600 per year for 3rd party on a £1000 car!!!!!
Any suggestions?????
Feeling depressed already.
It's usually best to look on Friday morning, as many Sales Reps are then desperate to get deals closed.
Don't let them know you are desperate and negotiate. Say you might consider home Insurance etc. if they offer you the best deal.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 1:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It’s counterintuitive but comprehensive insurance is usually cheaper than third party. Look into getting your NZ NCB recognised as others have said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.