Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed about AU to UK move

Overwhelmed about AU to UK move

Old Jun 11th 2019, 3:14 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overwhelmed about AU to UK move

Originally Posted by Leinster
To be perfectly honest, I don't think I ever really adapted to Australian weather and lifestyle in the first place. I lived in Manly for my first few years (and loved it), but I am not a beach person and rarely went. The summers here are way too hot for me. Let's be honest... I'm out of shape and overweight, so the heat just makes me uncomfortable. Nothing cheers me up more here than a cool evening breeze while I'm out walking the dog. Back in the UK I'd sleep with the window open while it was snowing outside.

As for lifestyle, I loved it in Manly and had a great circle of friends. Sadly, it wasn't a suburb I could afford to buy in, so I made a bad decision 10 years ago and moved further away from the city to live in a pretty quiet neighbourhood where there is nothing to do. And I lost touch with my friends.

Yep, I'm ready to go back. My wife, however, really feels the cold. That's going to be interesting. She's Australian now, but not by birth. Thankfully, that means that she doesn't have any local ties either. That makes things a bit easier since her ties are in another country entirely!

Possibly (almost definitely) naivete, but the only real change I imagine having to get used to is wearing a tie at work again!
Sounds like you guys are going to make the turn quite well. Not a easy thing to up sticks and move to an entirely different culture and once many years have past by then go back home without a serious adjustment period. It's not unusual to feel that the place we're originally from now feels foreign to us because everything including family and friends have moved on. It can feel very different from the life we use to know. My wife, kids and I will try to ease into life in the UK if that becomes our destination which is still up for debate. She and I both are not big fans of cold weather so that will be quite shocking at first especially with out door activities. A bit easier to exercise in outdoor warm weather. But given time I hope we'll make the adjustment as well.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 3:30 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

“There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.” Nelson Mandela

(Sorry, I pasted that in and don't know how to change the font size.)
Old Jun 12th 2019, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

fastrhino will become famous soon enough

Just got Jetpets quote back for one cat and one dog, Perth to Heathrow $6500.

I was told that my dog can only be flown on Qantas because he considered a dangerous breed by other airlines flying to my desired airport Manchester.

I was also told we only need 4 weeks in advance of flying to get them ready, however more notice is better if you want to be on the same flight with them.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 8:31 am
Just Joined

happy-go-lucky-lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HugoB
we are taking 2 dogs and 2 cats back to the UK with Jetpets who have been great so far - all the forms to complete are loaded on to a portal and I've just been completing them bit by bit. They need to have all their annual vaccinations up to date and be microchipped. The only extra vaccination we found, is a rabies jab. They sent the vet to our house to do all our four which was great! This needs to be done a minimum of 3 weeks before they fly. There is no quarantine for them going from Aus to UK.
They also need to be included in your transfer of residence form (ToR), we just got ours back, took just under 5 weeks.
Hi HugoB,
I'm taking two cats back to the UK but haven't started the process yet - I'm so glad they don't have to be in Quarantine for a month. What's the cost per cat with Jetpets, and are going Syd-Lon?
Thanks,
HGGL
Old Jun 14th 2019, 8:35 am
Just Joined

happy-go-lucky-lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fastrhino
Just got Jetpets quote back for one cat and one dog, Perth to Heathrow $6500.

I was told that my dog can only be flown on Qantas because he considered a dangerous breed by other airlines flying to my desired airport Manchester.

I was also told we only need 4 weeks in advance of flying to get them ready, however more notice is better if you want to be on the same flight with them.
Oh yuck to flying Quantas long-haul back. What breed is your dog, out of interest?
Old Jun 14th 2019, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

fastrhino will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by happy-go-lucky-lass
Oh yuck to flying Quantas long-haul back. What breed is your dog, out of interest?
He is a Boxer, he will have to fly Perth to London, they did not itemise the quote they just gave me a price for both pets.