Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed about AU to UK move

Overwhelmed about AU to UK move

Old May 29th 2019, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Leinster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overwhelmed about AU to UK move

My wife (Australian), daughter (dual citizen), dog, and I are planning to return to the UK early next year after 15 years in Australia.

I am feeling so overwhelmed at everything that is involved and have no idea where to start. So far, all I've been able to do is sell a few smaller items which would probably make no difference to shipping costs.

Is there a good resource (either here or on another site) that details what I need to consider with regard to:
  • visa for wife
  • relocation of:
    • possessions (shipping?, import rules (tax implications etc))
    • dog
    • vehicle (maybe if worth it)
  • money transfer
  • ???
I'm sure there are other considerations that I am currently unaware of.

Appreciate any and all pointers!
Old May 29th 2019, 6:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overwhelmed about AU to UK move

Originally Posted by Leinster
My wife (Australian), daughter (dual citizen), dog, and I are planning to return to the UK early next year after 15 years in Australia.

I am feeling so overwhelmed at everything that is involved and have no idea where to start. So far, all I've been able to do is sell a few smaller items which would probably make no difference to shipping costs.

Is there a good resource (either here or on another site) that details what I need to consider with regard to:
  • visa for wife
  • relocation of:
    • dog
  • money transfer
  • ???

Loads of knowledgeable people in the subforum on UK visas, they'll help out with all that stuff.- thats probably the first to get sorted, to make sure you met the financial requirements.
The other thing that can take time is the dog, but I think there's some in this bit of the forum who can help out on that one.

Money transfer? Have a look at OFX, been using them for years and will be using them to move everything back when I go.

Good luck
Old May 29th 2019, 6:57 am
Just Joined

hebs is an unknown quantity at this point

We're just starting the process too and I know how you feel.

All I can recommend to start with is just to google and read posts on here then google again.

Biggest thing, as Pollyana said, is the visa, make sure you are eligible then go from there.
Old May 30th 2019, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Spouse visa first. There are two routes either savings or employment earnings.

Shipping. Get quotes from several.

Dog, call Dogtainers. I recommend doing this at least six months prior to the move.

I know it seems huge, but it can be done easier than you think. We didn't have to go through the spouse visa, but did everything else in less than a week. I got a job offer on a Tuesday evening and flew the Saturday.
Old May 30th 2019, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks Pollyana, hebs, and verystormy. Your replies are both helpful and reassuring
Old May 31st 2019, 1:02 am
Just Joined

MattSmith77 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going through the same process as you Leinster and it is quite daunting, we've been working on it for a few months.

As others have stated it's best to start with the big one - the Visa. My partner is Australian and we are going down the spousal visa route, using savings to meet the financial requirements. We opted for this as it seems to be the only way our family doesn't have to spend an extended period apart while i go to the UK and find a job earning over 18,500 gbp (i think the value is). If you are going for the savings route bear in mind that the money needs to be in an account and can not be touched (money can be added to take you above the required financial threshold) for 6 months before a visa application can be made. This seriously delayed our return and means we are going to have to do an priority visa to ensure we get to the UK in time for school term starting.

With regards to shipping i have requested quotes from Chess Moving, Crown Re locations, OSS World Wide Movers and Grace. The first quote we received was for half a container at 5,700 gbp (with packing and unpacking service). You have to apply for a Transfer of Residence Application (ToR01) and provide supporting information such as inventory, receipts if any of your stuff is new (so UK can get you to pay tax), passports etc.

We wont need to arrange pet transport from Aus to UK, but i have arranged the reverse when i first came to Australia and it it quite time consuming, involving pet passports, inoculations, tests etc.

Good luck
Old Jun 1st 2019, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

we are taking 2 dogs and 2 cats back to the UK with Jetpets who have been great so far - all the forms to complete are loaded on to a portal and I've just been completing them bit by bit. They need to have all their annual vaccinations up to date and be microchipped. The only extra vaccination we found, is a rabies jab. They sent the vet to our house to do all our four which was great! This needs to be done a minimum of 3 weeks before they fly. There is no quarantine for them going from Aus to UK.
They also need to be included in your transfer of residence form (ToR), we just got ours back, took just under 5 weeks.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

pendledreams5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Leinster, if you belong to Facebook, there is an amazing forum for people applying for the Spouse Settlement Visa, if that is what you wife needs. Search for Spouse Visa Journey UK, it has been an incredible resource for me, I highly recommend it.
Best of luck!
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MattSmith77
If you are going for the savings route bear in mind that the money needs to be in an account and can not be touched (money can be added to take you above the required financial threshold)
When you say that it cannot be touched, does that mean that the balance can't fall below the target amount, or that no deductions can be made from the account at all? I have an account that should more than cover the savings part, but if any deductions make it void, then I might need to think about pulling some of that out to another account.

Originally Posted by MattSmith77
The first quote we received was for half a container at 5,700 gbp (with packing and unpacking service).
Great! I think that this is the first time I've actually seen a quote for a shipping volume, so this gives me a good starting point when selecting a shipper.

Originally Posted by HugoB
we are taking 2 dogs and 2 cats back to the UK with Jetpets who have been great so far
Thanks! I've only been looking at dogtainers so far but good to have options.

Originally Posted by HugoB
There is no quarantine for them going from Aus to UK.
[...]
They also need to be included in your transfer of residence form (ToR), we just got ours back, took just under 5 weeks.
Just to be clear... your ToR took just under 5 weeks? Pets can be picked immediately upon arrival if there is no quarantine, right?

Originally Posted by pendledreams5
if you belong to Facebook, there is an amazing forum for people applying for the Spouse Settlement Visa
Not a facebook user myself, but my wife is, so I'll ask her to take a look.

Thanks heaps to you all
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 5:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When you say that it cannot be touched, does that mean that the balance can't fall below the target amount, or that no deductions can be made from the account at all? I have an account that should more than cover the savings part, but if any deductions make it void, then I might need to think about pulling some of that out to another account.

Great! I think that this is the first time I've actually seen a quote for a shipping volume, so this gives me a good starting point when selecting a shipper.

Thanks! I've only been looking at dogtainers so far but good to have options.

Just to be clear... your ToR took just under 5 weeks? Pets can be picked immediately upon arrival if there is no quarantine, right?

Not a facebook user myself, but my wife is, so I'll ask her to take a look.

Thanks heaps to you all
As mentioned above, BE also has a forum specifically aimed at providing info on gaining Spouse/family visas for the UK.
https://britishexpats.com/forum/citi...-visas-uk-196/
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 5:03 am
Just Joined

Hey MattSmith77 I have just received a reply from an online quote from Allied Pickfords (https://www.alliedpickfords.com.au). Without them having seen my property, they are estimating a move price of $8,500 to $10,000 (GST exempt). The quote is based on an estimated move volume of 30 cubic meters (approximately the volume of a 20ft container). The only info I provided for that quote was that I will be moving a 2-3 bedroom house from Sydney to the Midlands. I'd be interested to hear the quotes from the other companies that you have received quotes from, but this does seem like it might be a cheaper option than the 5,700 GBP quote that you received if that was based on a similar volume.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 8:40 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

• visa for wife
  • relocation of:
    • dog
  • money transfer
  • ???

May I ask do you think you'll miss the lifestyle and weather is Australia to a large degree and are you prepared for the needed adjustments to life back in the UK? I ask that because I'm moving to the UK next year from a similar place.
Thanks

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jun 7th 2019 at 8:42 am.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 11:33 am
Just Joined

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I ever really adapted to Australian weather and lifestyle in the first place. I lived in Manly for my first few years (and loved it), but I am not a beach person and rarely went. The summers here are way too hot for me. Let's be honest... I'm out of shape and overweight, so the heat just makes me uncomfortable. Nothing cheers me up more here than a cool evening breeze while I'm out walking the dog. Back in the UK I'd sleep with the window open while it was snowing outside.

As for lifestyle, I loved it in Manly and had a great circle of friends. Sadly, it wasn't a suburb I could afford to buy in, so I made a bad decision 10 years ago and moved further away from the city to live in a pretty quiet neighbourhood where there is nothing to do. And I lost touch with my friends.

Yep, I'm ready to go back. My wife, however, really feels the cold. That's going to be interesting. She's Australian now, but not by birth. Thankfully, that means that she doesn't have any local ties either. That makes things a bit easier since her ties are in another country entirely!

Possibly (almost definitely) naivete, but the only real change I imagine having to get used to is wearing a tie at work again!
Old Jun 8th 2019, 4:56 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with anything else - though am in the middle of a move to my fourth continent - but wanted to give another vote for Dogtainers. They've just moved our cats from Sydney to Seattle and it all went very smoothly. They also came up with an excellent route (direct flight to Vancouver, then a 3 hour road trip with my husband) that others did not suggest. We were in talks with them a couple of months ahead but only booked a couple of weeks in advance.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I ever really adapted to Australian weather and lifestyle in the first place. I lived in Manly for my first few years (and loved it), but I am not a beach person and rarely went. The summers here are way too hot for me. Let's be honest... I'm out of shape and overweight, so the heat just makes me uncomfortable. Nothing cheers me up more here than a cool evening breeze while I'm out walking the dog. Back in the UK I'd sleep with the window open while it was snowing outside.

As for lifestyle, I loved it in Manly and had a great circle of friends. Sadly, it wasn't a suburb I could afford to buy in, so I made a bad decision 10 years ago and moved further away from the city to live in a pretty quiet neighbourhood where there is nothing to do. And I lost touch with my friends.

Yep, I'm ready to go back. My wife, however, really feels the cold. That's going to be interesting. She's Australian now, but not by birth. Thankfully, that means that she doesn't have any local ties either. That makes things a bit easier since her ties are in another country entirely!

Possibly (almost definitely) naivete, but the only real change I imagine having to get used to is wearing a tie at work again!
Will just say something about your wife. We moved back in 2016 and the one issue I was worried about was the weather and my wife as she grew up in a warm climate and isn't keen on cold. We now live in a tiny village on top of a hill in rural Scotland and winters can certainly be cold and snowy. We can get snowed in several times a year and cold enough that the thermometer in my car can no longer give a temp as it only goes down to -9. But, she has adapted really well. I remember one of our first drives through the snow covered countryside and her being just in love with the beauty of it.

We we are in an extreme, most of the U.K. now barely gets snow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.