Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over Night Stay in Edinburgh near Train Station

Over Night Stay in Edinburgh near Train Station

Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice
Default Over Night Stay in Edinburgh near Train Station

Hi everyone,
Yeah it's me again, still working on our visit to the UK in Dec., can't believe how much planning is involved, but it's so exciting Everyone that replied to my question on my previous thread, thank you - you were a great help, and your replies helped me make some decisions. I'm hoping there are more people out there in BE world that can help with this question for this part of the trip.

Planning on stopping for one night, on the journey up from England in EDINBURGH (Two Adults + Two Kids), will be arriving at the Train Station. Before, anyone tells me to 'google' - I have already , but I'd prefer, if possible someone's opinion that has experienced a trip to Edinburgh. Where would be a good place to stay for the night?

On checking out of a hotel the following morning, we'd like to Hire a Car, - would the Car Rental company deliver a car to any hotel do you think?

Thanks
Audrey
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:07 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over Night Stay in Edinburgh near Train Station

Hi

Which train station will you be arriving at? Haymarket or Waverley? because that will presumably influence where your hotel will be.

I'm not sure I can help with the hotel side of things as Ive never needed one for Edinburgh sorry, but it might be worthwhile putting up what budget you are looking for. Even just a rough guide because accommodation ranges from scummy hostels to 5 star hotels.

Waverley is the more central so probably the more preferable, it also has car hire on site but I'm assuming as it's only for one night you don't really want it till you have to leave in the am.

I have had car hire come and pick me up from my house to take me to the car hire place so I shouldnt see why coming to the hotel should be a problem , but I dont know for sure so have a wee look at their websites to see
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Auds try tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews and you can also see the location of the hotel on google maps off that.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandergirl
Auds try tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews and you can also see the location of the hotel on google maps off that.
The centre of Edinburgh is really small compared to a lot of cities. Very hilly, though.

There is a Hertz rental place near the station, also two others within a 10-minute walk. Be warned - they are digging all the roads up at the moment and there are lots of closures with not a lot of warning.

Lots of hotels near Waverly as it is dead central. Holiday Inn Express is next to the Hertz place....and there are Travelodges and an Ibis, also lots of B & B's.

If you read a review and the reviewer's main gripe is that the hotel had brown water, ignore it as it's normal! (Ex-city centre resident!)
Old Oct 26th 2008, 3:46 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
The centre of Edinburgh is really small compared to a lot of cities. Very hilly, though.

There is a Hertz rental place near the station, also two others within a 10-minute walk. Be warned - they are digging all the roads up at the moment and there are lots of closures with not a lot of warning.

Lots of hotels near Waverly as it is dead central. Holiday Inn Express is next to the Hertz place....and there are Travelodges and an Ibis, also lots of B & B's.

If you read a review and the reviewer's main gripe is that the hotel had brown water, ignore it as it's normal! (Ex-city centre resident!)
To OP Jury's used to be good right behind the station and there is an Ibis just off of the High Street.

To G586, I used to live on the High Street for many years and the only brown water that I ever drank was called beer.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:23 am
Just Joined

grumpy04 is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently returned from a trip to Edinburgh and must say, found my favourite city in a bit of chaos with the streets dug up all over the center of town. We stayed at the station hotel and hired a car - only to return it after 1 day as it was much easier getting around in a taxi (due to the mess the streets are in).
Next time we go to Edinburgh we will probably see about a VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner) where very nice private residences are available by the week at rates far more favourable than the central hotels. Many are within a 10-minute walk of Princes Street.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Driving around Edinburgh city centre is a nightmare at the moment - lots of rerouting due to construction (e.g., of the new tram line which I now understand has been cancelled!)

As mentioned, the "Which train station?" question is important.

I stayed at the Premier Inn EH3 9DG, which was very nice, but I think was fairly expensive (I didn't pay, so not sure exactly how much). It may be a bit far depending on how much luggage you have (I only had a wheelie suitcase).

Also stayed at the Apex International EH1 2HS (close to Haymarket) again very nice but don't know what cost (paid for by NHS).

[Later edit: Just found my travel confirmation; Premier Inn was £80 per night, Apex was £162 per night]
Old Jun 18th 2009, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

I live in Edinburgh currently and would say that hotel choices depend largely on your budget as they vary greatly!

There a loads of hotels in the city centre which are easily accessible by foot/short taxi ride. I would look at the following:

http://www.thistle.com/hotels/edinburgh/
http://www.apexhotels.co.uk/hotels/e...international/
http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-3271...re/index.shtml
http://www.townhousehotels.co.uk/
http://www.bed-and-breakfast-edinburgh.co.uk/

If none of these are suitable I can post links to others
Old Jun 18th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Never stayed right by the station but Roxbourough (opposite end of Princess St) is nice, as is Holyrood - by the Parliament, Caledonian too - these are all probably at the pricey end but it depends what you want
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

I stayed at the Waverley hotel which is very near to the station. Just over the road really - no more than 5 mins walk. Good breakfast too. We got one of the top floor rooms which are very nice. Only down side is there is a bag piper piping (as they do) outside the hotel most of the day. Nice to begin, but after a while ..