Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 50s Moving to UK INFO Thread: DRIVING/CAR INSURANCE

Over 50s Moving to UK INFO Thread: DRIVING/CAR INSURANCE

Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 50s Moving to UK INFO Thread: DRIVING/CAR INSURANCE

Interesting bit here for those that come from countries who can just exchange their license.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069870
New drivers. Special rules as set out below apply for a period of two years from the date of passing their first driving test, to drivers and motorcyclists from
  • the UK, EU/EEA, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands or Gibraltar who passed their first driving test in any of those countries
  • other foreign countries who have to pass a UK driving test to gain a UK licence, in which case the UK driving test is treated as their first driving test; and
  • other foreign countries who (without needing a test) exchanged their licence for a UK licence and subsequently passed a UK driving test to drive another type of vehicle, in which case the UK driving test is treated as their first driving test. For example a driver who exchanges a foreign licence (car) for a UK licence (car) and who later passes a test to drive another type of vehicle (e.g. an HGV) will be subject to the special rules

Where a person subject to the special rules accumulates six or more penalty points before the end of the two-year period (including any points acquired before passing the test) their licence will be revoked automatically. To regain the licence they must reapply for a provisional licence and may drive only as a learner until they pass a further driving test (see also 'Safety code for new drivers').

Last edited by formula; Aug 19th 2011 at 5:07 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:35 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=cheers;9567924]
Originally Posted by DDL
You won't get UK car insurance without a UK license
QUOTE]

I question this statement because of what I have read on the forums. I can always learn something new. Cheers.
Well, obviously, if for example a USC visits the UK and rents a car in the UK, they can purchase UK insurance coverage - or perhaps their US coverage will cover them when they drive abroad. But I was talking about someone resident in the UK - they cannot obtain car insurance if all they have is an American license.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I just spent 30 mins on the phone with Direct Line ...and I completed an on-line quote section.

Upshot is yes,we can both get insurance on an American license for one year.

In that one year, we will have to pass a UK test to continue driving after that point.

Unfortunately ,Direct line were not interested in any no-claims we had for our time in the States.

After completing the on-line quote section, we were given a quote of about 650 for the year...I am 40 and DH is 53 ,driving a 1996 Vauxhall astra automatic.

Here lies the problem ...there is no box to tick international license ,so I ticked provisional. I think that might have given me an inaccurate number though,as provisional license holders are only allowed in a car with an experienced driver...

So,I called them again and they promised to amend those details ...they didn't and couldn't find the original info I provided them with

All in all, it was a fun morning on the phone ;talking to 3 different reps while supervising my 2 year old in my make-up bag!

With the info we now know that YES! We can get insurance on American licenses for 1 year.

I now need to compose myself, then ask them to enter the info on their computer WITH the International license option ticked, to see what the final cost will be!

Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:49 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by cheers
Yep, after the 12 months is up they had better have a UK license. Even if they leave after 9 months and then come back in 6 months the 12 months starts from the first time the came. If that sounds like I know what I'm talking about I wonder about business people who come and go in the UK and if they are conscientious in keep track of their 12 months. I'm thinking of the ones who are there for 6 months or so at a time.
Business people who come and go in the UK are more than likely using a rental car and can purchase UK insurance that way.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:57 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I'm getting worried ...we are heading for a rural spot ...my DH will have to drive from the get-go!
If it's a rental car and he's driving on his US license, he'll either have to purchase UK coverage from the car rental company or be covered by his US car insurance company.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:02 pm
DDL

With the info we now know that YES! We can get insurance on American licenses for 1 year.

I've never, ever heard that that is possible - but if they say so then they must know what they are talking about, so I'm really happy for you.

One year ago, in August 2010, Direct Line wouldn't insure me (with a US license) on my husband's policy until I had a UK Provisional license - but they did give us a discount when we provided them with no-claims letters from State Farm, so go figure!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DDL
I've never, ever heard that that is possible - but if they say so then they must know what they are talking about, so I'm really happy for you.

One year ago, in August 2010, Direct Line wouldn't insure me (with a US license) on my husband's policy until I had a UK Provisional license - but they did give us a discount when we provided them with no-claims letters from State Farm, so go figure!
I know right? I asked 3 different reps ...I am hoping they are correct

Thanks DDL
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Didn't Jerseygirl mention once that she was able to get UK car insurance on her US license?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DDL
It's a good idea to record these calls. They do, so why shouldn't we - though you have to tell them.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elvira
It's a good idea to record these calls. They do, so why shouldn't we - though you have to tell them.
true..but juggling my daughter, plus a recorder might have just pushed me over the edge this morning

I am going to call back again though...just to be totally secure!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

mcm1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgive the intrusion but perhaps there might be some misunderstanding here.
From what I can gather a USA driving license can be used in the UK for driving purposes for a maximum of 12 months before you have to replace it with a UK version i.e. take the local tests.
You would be correct in that the first step would be to apply for and actually recieve a Provisional License. What concerns me somewhat is do people realise that this only entitles you to drive with a suitably qualified person sat next to you, at ALL times?
So in brief do not use your Provisional License nomatter what insurance you have and drive without having the suitably qualified person next to you.
I understand that some perhaps are getting quotes for insurance using this Provisional License but maybe relying on producing their USA license when driving-if you are stopped and asked to produce your exact details/ paperwork you will be in for a shock!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcm1
Forgive the intrusion but perhaps there might be some misunderstanding here.
From what I can gather a USA driving license can be used in the UK for driving purposes for a maximum of 12 months before you have to replace it with a UK version i.e. take the local tests.
You would be correct in that the first step would be to apply for and actually recieve a Provisional License. What concerns me somewhat is do people realise that this only entitles you to drive with a suitably qualified person sat next to you, at ALL times?
So in brief do not use your Provisional License nomatter what insurance you have and drive without having the suitably qualified person next to you.
I understand that some perhaps are getting quotes for insurance using this Provisional License but maybe relying on producing their USA license when driving-if you are stopped and asked to produce your exact details/ paperwork you will be in for a shock!
I spoke to Direct line again today...with *just* an American license we are able to get insurance.

American license holders will have to apply for a provisional, as it is the first step in gaining a FULL UK license.

It would be illegal to give incorrect info to the insurers ,and you just wouldn't be covered.

It is quite legal to drive FOR THE FIRST 12 MONTHS on your American license,with a provisional in your possession.

In fact ,most will; as hopefully they will be taking lessons and working toward a British license. You can not start lessons without a provisional.

I understand what you are saying though

I only entered provisional on the computer as there was no INTERNATIONAL option the rep I spoke to ,said that type of situation would have to be done over the phone!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:12 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DDL
My Ds drove for a year on his US license and had insurance through a local insurance agent. He passed his UK test just before the 1 year was up.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

mcm1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I think you do understand what I was trying to say-Thanks!

My concern was what the insurance company actualy write on the policy i.e. USA license or UK provisional-perhaps they can write both?

For instance should you be driving-quite legally- on say your USA license but the insurance policy has 'provisional' on it they would undoubtedly wriggle out of any claim arising from an accident and I daresay the police would want a word or two.
I wasn't for one moment suggesting that you would intentionally do anything wrong just the small print in the policy would need to be checked, they are insurabce companies after all.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcm1
Yes I think you do understand what I was trying to say-Thanks!

My concern was what the insurance company actualy write on the policy i.e. USA license or UK provisional-perhaps they can write both?

For instance should you be driving-quite legally- on say your USA license but the insurance policy has 'provisional' on it they would undoubtedly wriggle out of any claim arising from an accident and I daresay the police would want a word or two.
I wasn't for one moment suggesting that you would intentionally do anything wrong just the small print in the policy would need to be checked, they are insurabce companies after all.
For Ds the insurance was based on his US license so he could drive alone to work, they knew he had a provisional and told him to make sure to pass before 12 months and let them know when he did as his insurance would go down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.