Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 50s Moving to UK INFO Thread: DRIVING/CAR INSURANCE

Over 50s Moving to UK INFO Thread: DRIVING/CAR INSURANCE

Old Jun 30th 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 50s Moving to UK INFO Thread: DRIVING/CAR INSURANCE

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass View Post
Getting discouraged a bit, as the best quote my OH has got for car insurance is £1300p.a. He's tried about 5 different places and all of them range from £1300 to £1800! He's called several of them direct, and they seem to penalizing him for having been overseas for the past 7 years and having no active credit in the UK.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or is this just the price to pay for being a returning ex-pat?
From what I have read the thing to do is go to an insurance agent/broker and he will shop for you. Try several agents. Also, can you get a letter from your previous insurance company saying you have had no claims in the last 27(?) years.
Is this car you are insuring a high powered car? They are categorized for insurance purposes.
Ask for a quote at the post office.
The best of British luck in your search.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers View Post
From what I have read the thing to do is go to an insurance agent/broker and he will shop for you. Try several agents. Also, can you get a letter from your previous insurance company saying you have had no claims in the last 27(?) years.
Is this car you are insuring a high powered car? They are categorized for insurance purposes.
Ask for a quote at the post office.
The best of British luck in your search.
No, it's not a high-powered car..at least it isn't by my standards! It's only a 1.6L diesel Kia. I am still in the US, so we still have an active car insurance policy here. The US company will only give us a 'no claims' letter once we have cancelled the policy here, and that isn't going to happen until I'm ready to leave here in a few months. I will have him try the Post Office next. I should mention we are in Scotland, if that makes a diff.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 9:55 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass View Post
Getting discouraged a bit, as the best quote my OH has got for car insurance is £1300p.a. He's tried about 5 different places and all of them range from £1300 to £1800! He's called several of them direct, and they seem to penalizing him for having been overseas for the past 7 years and having no active credit in the UK. Does anyone have any suggestions, or is this just the price to pay for being a returning ex-pat?

Has he called Direct Line? Tell him to call, not use the online quote. And if he can provide them with a No Claims letter from his US insurer at some point, be sure to mention that to them.

From the US call: 011-44-845-246-8701

Lines open: 8am-9pm Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm on Saturday and 10am-5pm Sunday
Old Jul 10th 2011, 7:46 pm
DDL

Just for information purposes:

We have a 2007 Renault Megane automatic, petrol car. Just got invoice for upcoming year's tax = £210/12 mos. (You have an option of just paying for a 6-mos. tax disc, but it costs a bit more.)

The MOT cost us £55.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 10:48 am
Just Joined

mumof2americanbeauties is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for sharing so much info - I am really looking forward to getting involved - We as a family just moved (in my case back) to the UK after many many years in the USA.
Can you please help me in regards to how long one can drive in the UK on a USA license???? My husband (American here on a spousal visa) is driving for his job but has not updated his US license as of yet. How does he go about changing it?
Does he have to apply for a provisional license and complete a driving test etc???
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really nice

Originally Posted by mumof2americanbeauties View Post
Thank you for sharing so much info - I am really looking forward to getting involved - We as a family just moved (in my case back) to the UK after many many years in the USA.
Can you please help me in regards to how long one can drive in the UK on a USA license???? My husband (American here on a spousal visa) is driving for his job but has not updated his US license as of yet. How does he go about changing it?
Does he have to apply for a provisional license and complete a driving test etc???
In short yes. He can drive 12 months on his US license, but at the end of that period he can no longer drive legally unless he's got a provisional license or a UK license.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

mumof2americanbeauties is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Does he then have to take the UK driving test???
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Mecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really nice

Originally Posted by mumof2americanbeauties View Post
Thanks Does he then have to take the UK driving test???
Yes both the theory and ability tests.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 10:00 pm
DDL

Yes, he can legally drive for 1 year in the UK on his US license but he certainly better have car insurance -- and therein lies the rub. You won't get UK car insurance without a UK license (either Provisional or permanent).

He will have to take the theory exam, and then the practical exam.

Start here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...yA/DG_10032690
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DDL;9567779] You won't get UK car insurance without a UK license
QUOTE]

I question this statement because of what I have read on the forums.

I can always learn something new.

Cheers.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DDL View Post
Yes, he can legally drive for 1 year in the UK on his US license but he certainly better have car insurance -- and therein lies the rub. You won't get UK car insurance without a UK license (either Provisional or permanent).

He will have to take the theory exam, and then the practical exam.

Start here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...yA/DG_10032690
I thought it was for the best insurance rate...the provisional in *combination* with American license?

If not ,then we are in a bit of bother

I am wondering what long term American visitors do, those that are not intending to live forever in the UK ...but want to drive?

Thanks DDL
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome View Post
I thought it was for the best insurance rate...the provisional in *combination* with American license?

If not ,then we are in a bit of bother

I am wondering what long term American visitors do, those that are not intending to live forever in the UK ...but want to drive?

Thanks DDL
Yep, after the 12 months is up they had better have a UK license. Even if they leave after 9 months and then come back in 6 months the 12 months starts from the first time the came.
If that sounds like I know what I'm talking about I wonder about business people who come and go in the UK and if they are conscientious in keep track of their 12 months. I'm thinking of the ones who are there for 6 months or so at a time.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheers View Post
Yep, after the 12 months is up they had better have a UK license. Even if they leave after 9 months and then come back in 6 months the 12 months starts from the first time the came.
If that sounds like I know what I'm talking about I wonder about business people who come and go in the UK and if they are conscientious in keep track of their 12 months. I'm thinking of the ones who are there for 6 months or so at a time.
I think/hope DDL will come back in the Morning!

I'm getting worried ...we are heading for a rural spot ...my DH will have to drive from the get-go!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome View Post
I think/hope DDL will come back in the Morning!

I'm getting worried ...we are heading for a rural spot ...my DH will have to drive from the get-go!
Not to worry!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL View Post
Yes, he can legally drive for 1 year in the UK on his US license but he certainly better have car insurance -- and therein lies the rub.
As DDL says, after 1 year of entering the UK, the foreign license (including an International License) becomes invalid for driving in the UK. Which means the insurance then automatically becomes invalid too (even if they bought insurance) if they continue to drive on a foreign license as they don’t have a valid license to drive on UK roads. Trying to go out of the UK and entering again, to reset the 1 year, has been tested in court and failed.

'Driving not in accordance with a license' and/or having no insurance = a court appearance.

A court appearance for a foreign national means = a fail in the good character requirement for ILR or BC, until the conviction is spent. It takes 5 years from the date of the court appearance, for a conviction like this to be spent.

Don't forget that using a hand-held mobile phone while driving a car is a very big no no in the UK. It is listed on the UKBA site as one of the reasons for failing the good character requirement.

If you break the law while driving on a foreign license, you have to go to court as the police can't just give you a fine and points on your license, at the roadside. I don't know how this would impact on ILR or BC. If it were me, I would learn the Highway Code and then be be looking to take the UK driving test ASAP.

Edit for the Highway Code link, for those that want to learn the rules of the road before they come to the UK.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070202

Last edited by formula; Aug 19th 2011 at 6:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.