Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 50s Moving to UK INFO Thread: DRIVING/CAR INSURANCE

Over 50s Moving to UK INFO Thread: DRIVING/CAR INSURANCE

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 50s Moving to UK INFO Thread: DRIVING/CAR INSURANCE

Hard luck DDL. I think there is an internet site where you can pay a subscription and they notify you when a cancellation comes up. I can't remember the site but I read about it on the uk yankee travel section.

Such a shame you didn't have a Canadian licence, as you would have just been given a UK licence without any tests.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:29 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
What kind of document did you ask for from your US insurance company? I know my OH has been asking if we can get a "No Claims Bonus" letter, but I've never heard of such a thing here. Plus, we are not with any of the large national carriers (i.e. Geiko, State Farm), so I don't know if our smallish carrier would provide such a document. We have only been with our current carrier for about 18months, so do you think they would want a letter like this from any previous carriers? Ah well, I will give them a call tomorrow and see what I can find out.
We were with State Farm. Before we moved back, I just asked my agent to supply us with a letter (on letterhead, of course) that showed all of our information: length of time we were insured with them; car make/models; etc etc all followed by a statement saying we had no claims during all that time.

When we signed up over here with DirectLine, they insured us immediately (over the phone E-Z-P-Z), and said if we sent them the letter, they would adjust our premium [down]- and they did.

I can't remember offhand how much of a savings it was. If you'd like to know, I can look up our paperwork.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:35 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by formula
Hard luck DDL. I think there is an internet site where you can pay a subscription and they notify you when a cancellation comes up. I can't remember the site but I read about it on the uk yankee travel section. Such a shame you didn't have a Canadian licence, as you would have just been given a UK licence without any tests.
Thanks for that, Formula.

I'm not familiar with that website, although I do participate on UK Yankee so I'm curious and will check it out.

Actually, though, DSA (via DirectGov) provides an 0300 phone number you can ring (automated system) to check on cancellations. I rang today (first day) and was able to get a date that was 2 weeks earlier than the one I booked yesterday. So my plan is to ring every day and accept any earlier date that's available.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:45 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Barbara1133
Don't worry about it - you'll sail through next time. It's so rare to pass first time, and you have the added disadvantage of driving for so many years in another country and then moving to one where they drive on the other side of the road! I think you did fabulously well, and I sent this to my bro (the instructor) and he says he thinks you did "bloody marvellous." Hope that makes you feel better - you should be proud of yourself!

Awww, thanks Barbara. Really. Thanks for that.

I do kind of feel proud of myself because the only driving I'm doing at all over here is the driving I do with my instructor! (Guess I've had a total of about 25 hours so far.) We only have one car (which hubby uses for work) and [long story that no one really wants to hear] I absolutely will not drive with my husband in the car, and cannot drive on my own because I am only covered with our insurance as a *Provisional License/Learner Driver which - of course - means I have to have someone in the car with me. So I think I did pretty damn good to only get 2 minors.

The Y junction was a road situation that my instructor never covered; we never came across one in the areas where we were practising. The area where the examiner took me (way out near Heathrow) had the Y junction and it just threw me for a loop as they say. I'm sure that I've turned on to plenty of Y junctions in the States, but just became a bit confused here.

Like Formula said - hard luck.

*Legally, I can drive for 12 mos. over here on my US license .... but I would not be insured. So that option is a non-starter.

Last edited by DDL; Jun 22nd 2011 at 9:49 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DDL

The Y junction was a road situation that my instructor never covered; we never came across one in the areas where we were practising. The area where the examiner took me (way out near Heathrow) had the Y junction and it just threw me for a loop as they say. I'm sure that I've turned on to plenty of Y junctions in the States, but just became a bit confused here.
That's a bummer. I've heard all kinds of stories from my brother, and he gets angry when his pupils fail because of something the examiner did to mislead them or confuse them. Some examiners are good, others not so good. It doesn't really matter that you don't practice on your own - a lot of the students don't have access to a car other than their instructor's car. I certainly didn't - my dad wouldn't teach me or help when I was learning. It's a pity you're not learning on a manual transmission because if you could make it to Cheshunt in Herts or near a railway station, my brother now has the reputation from a lot of his former pupils "if this man can't get you through your test, nobody can." Still, I think with two minors you've done far and away better than most, so think on the positive side, and you most certainly will get through the second time. Hopefully your instructor can find a "Y" junction for you to run through your paces. Seriously, you'll be fine.

I have to admit that I am feeling quite, quite nervous about relearning to drive in England. I will be in Central London - not for fainthearted.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Hard luck DDL. I think there is an internet site where you can pay a subscription and they notify you when a cancellation comes up. I can't remember the site but I read about it on the uk yankee travel section.

Such a shame you didn't have a Canadian licence, as you would have just been given a UK licence without any tests.
Yes,but you would always be limited to an automatic license only.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DDL

I do kind of feel proud of myself because the only driving I'm doing at all over here is the driving I do with my instructor! (Guess I've had a total of about 25 hours so far.) We only have one car (which hubby uses for work) and [long story that no one really wants to hear] I absolutely will not drive with my husband in the car, and cannot drive on my own because I am only covered with our insurance as a *Provisional License/Learner Driver which - of course - means I have to have someone in the car with me. So I think I did pretty damn good to only get 2 minors.

Like Formula said - hard luck.

*Legally, I can drive for 12 mos. over here on my US license .... but I would not be insured. So that option is a non-starter.
Are you saying I won't (nor my DH) be able to get insurance with only a US license?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Yes,but you would always be limited to an automatic license only.
If you pass a UK driving test for an automatic (as per the test DDL was taking) then you can't drive a manual car anyway, unless you take another driving test for a manual car.

If you pass the test for a manual car, then you can drive an automatic car too.

UK Licence Holders
If, however, you want to upgrade within a vehicle category you will not normally need to take a theory test, for example, if you have a full automatic car licence and you want a manual car licence you will not have to take a theory test.

It is your responsibility to make sure you have the correct licence for the vehicle you are driving.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...est/DG_4022531

Last edited by formula; Jun 23rd 2011 at 8:19 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are you saying I won't (nor my DH) be able to get insurance with only a US license?
You will find an insurer to take you, but you will have to pay a lot more as insurance is based on statistics.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you pass a UK driving test for an automatic (as DDL was)then you can't drive a manual car anyway, unless you take another driving test.

If you pass the test for a manual car, then you can drive an automatic car too.

UK Licence Holders
If, however, you want to upgrade within a vehicle category you will not normally need to take a theory test, for example, if you have a full automatic car licence and you want a manual car licence you will not have to take a theory test.

It is your responsibility to make sure you have the correct licence for the vehicle you are driving.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...est/DG_4022531
yes,I was talking about exchanging a Canadian license.

Thanks for the links!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:57 pm
DDL

You will but you'll pay through the nose for it and will have to hunt around to find one that will insure you on your US license.

I wish I could remember what we were quoted when we first arrived, but it was so much that that's when I decided to just send off for a UK Provisional License (did it all online) and then had no problem with Direct Line adding me to our policy.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DDL
You will but you'll pay through the nose for it and will have to hunt around to find one that will insure you on your US license.

I wish I could remember what we were quoted when we first arrived, but it was so much that that's when I decided to just send off for a UK Provisional License (did it all online) and then had no problem with Direct Line adding me to our policy.
Thanks DDL.

I am hoping that USSA might have some connections/ideas (as they did for our banking)

So are you suggesting that armed with US license + provisional it would make a difference $ wise?

I am assuming as your DH already had a history in the UK,it made it easy to add you ?

My DH didn't drive in the UK when we lived there, as we were based in London.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 10:31 pm
DDL

Thanks DDL.

I am hoping that USSA might have some connections/ideas (as they did for our banking) So are you suggesting that armed with US license + provisional it would make a difference $ wise? I am assuming as your DH already had a history in the UK,it made it easy to add you ? My DH didn't drive in the UK when we lived there, as we were based in London.
Gabby, a UK provisional license is what you all will need in order to be insured to drive in the UK at the best rate. AFAIK they could care less about your US license.
And then once you get your permanent UK licenses, your rate should drop.

Yes, my husband has had a UK license for years. He kept it up-to-date all the time we lived in the US. But when we moved back and got car insurance, the fact that he had car insurance previously in the UK (7 years ago) didn't make any difference. All they were concerned about (aside from our licenses, of course) were our driving records.

Again, this was Direct Line. Other companies may be different.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DDL
Gabby, a UK provisional license is what you all will need in order to be insured to drive in the UK at the best rate. AFAIK they could care less about your US license.
And then once you get your permanent UK licenses, your rate should drop.

Yes, my husband has had a UK license for years. He kept it up-to-date all the time we lived in the US. But when we moved back and got car insurance, the fact that he had car insurance previously in the UK (7 years ago) didn't make any difference. All they were concerned about (aside from our licenses, of course) were our driving records.

Again, this was Direct Line. Other companies may be different.
Thanks DDL,so the *best* rate ...I see!

My DH needs to get to work ASAP,knowing things take slightlylonger in the UK ~at least he will be mobile ...till we get the provisional.

Thank you
Old Jun 30th 2011, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Getting discouraged a bit, as the best quote my OH has got for car insurance is £1300p.a. He's tried about 5 different places and all of them range from £1300 to £1800! He's called several of them direct, and they seem to penalizing him for having been overseas for the past 7 years and having no active credit in the UK.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or is this just the price to pay for being a returning ex-pat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.