British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

windsong Jun 10th 2012 1:03 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Everyone, I am considering a move from the midwest to Massachusetts. Yes, I know it's not England but I need to get on my feet a little more financially so I can make the move back to England in a few years and live comfortably over there - as well as being able to make the move and not have to depend on anyone else for the first six months I am there.

I am also starting a business that I need to grow. It can be conducted from Britain as well - anywhere in the world actually. I didn't think about formalizing but it's my passion and I've been doing it for two years without charging for it. I have built a sizable following and requests are now coming to me from people who are ready to sign year-long contracts with me. One of the opportunities is massive! All these signs are telling me to make it a formal business. I never dreamed it would be possible but it is.

I have some friends in Mass. and they have told me it is booming there. Also, we have compared notes over many months and it seems the cost of living is lower, rents are the same and wages are higher. One of my friends owns a mini Home Depot out there - to be honest, it is more like a regular home Depot but there's only one of them. He is advising me on business issues. I could get a much better job out there and I could expand this business at the same time. I can do most of it online. I've been dabbling in this field for almost two years and I am very good at it and things are growing so now is the time to formalize it and begin to make some money. I am not sure the income from it will ever replace a full-time job but it could. It really depends how far I want to take it. At the very least, it will certainly be a sizable addition to another income.

After settling some financial issues here before I leave (due to a higher income) and having a stable business from which I can draw an income eventually, I will be more ready to move back home. The income will be a nice addition to my USA social security and company pension when I begin to draw them but I am leaving that as long as possible.

I had hoped to be back in the UK next year but sometimes life has a way of pointing you in a certain direction, regardless of your goals and desires.

So, it seems I have to make a few more of life's twists and turns in the USA before I can go back but if I stay in the midwest, I think I am doomed. The economy is still disgraceful here and jobs are still scarce and the only ones that do exists expect you to work twice as hard for half the money. Working twice as hard doesn't bother me so much if I make a decent income. What's more, the new governor wants to raise taxes!!!

I am ecstatic about leaving here - seriously! My friend who is self-employed also owns a few homes and I will be renting one of them. Having this arrangement set ahead of time, makes the move so much easier.

I do consider this move to be part of the process of moving back home to the UK. It's also a good few miles closer! :D Of course, it also means I need to come to terms with staying here until about 2014 at which time I will be 62 but that's okay. If I make this move, by the age of 62, I will be drawing an income from the business and expanding it, have settled some financial issues and would be eligible to begin to draw social security and my company pension, both of which I will delay as long as I possibly can. It's a lot better than staying here and wishing and hoping I can go back at 65!

Even though it will be stressful learning to settle on the East coast, I think I will love it there. I will be right on the coast and can look at the Atlantic Ocean and tell myself that England is on the horizon ;)

It's too good an opportunity to pass by - both the business and the move, especially with a very stable businessman for a business advisor who is also a friend. I ought to mention, too, there are no hidden agendas. He is a happily married man - lovely family.

No matter how much I like it in Massachusetts, I will not stay. My goal will always be to go home. The people may be terrific and the scenery wonderful but it doesn't change the fact that it is still the USA. I do not like what this country as become so I won't stay. The UK has always been in my heart.

Englishmum Jun 10th 2012 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10110656)
Everyone, I am considering a move from the midwest to Massachusetts. Yes, I know it's not England but I need to get on my feet a little more financially so I can make the move back to England in a few years and live comfortably over there - as well as being able to make the move and not have to depend on anyone else for the first six months I am there.

I am also starting a business that I need to grow. It can be conducted from Britain as well - anywhere in the world actually. I didn't think about formalizing but it's my passion and I've been doing it for two years without charging for it. I have built a sizable following and requests are now coming to me from people who are ready to sign year-long contracts with me. One of the opportunities is massive! All these signs are telling me to make it a formal business. I never dreamed it would be possible but it is.

I have some friends in Mass. and they have told me it is booming there. Also, we have compared notes over many months and it seems the cost of living is lower, rents are the same and wages are higher. One of my friends owns a mini Home Depot out there - to be honest, it is more like a regular home Depot but there's only one of them. He is advising me on business issues. I could get a much better job out there and I could expand this business at the same time. I can do most of it online. I've been dabbling in this field for almost two years and I am very good at it and things are growing so now is the time to formalize it and begin to make some money. I am not sure the income from it will ever replace a full-time job but it could. It really depends how far I want to take it. At the very least, it will certainly be a sizable addition to another income.

After settling some financial issues here before I leave (due to a higher income) and having a stable business from which I can draw an income eventually, I will be more ready to move back home. The income will be a nice addition to my USA social security and company pension when I begin to draw them but I am leaving that as long as possible.

I had hoped to be back in the UK next year but sometimes life has a way of pointing you in a certain direction, regardless of your goals and desires.

So, it seems I have to make a few more of life's twists and turns in the USA before I can go back but if I stay in the midwest, I think I am doomed. The economy is still disgraceful here and jobs are still scarce and the only ones that do exists expect you to work twice as hard for half the money. Working twice as hard doesn't bother me so much if I make a decent income. What's more, the new governor wants to raise taxes!!!

I am ecstatic about leaving here - seriously! My friend who is self-employed also owns a few homes and I will be renting one of them. Having this arrangement set ahead of time, makes the move so much easier.

I do consider this move to be part of the process of moving back home to the UK. It's also a good few miles closer! :D Of course, it also means I need to come to terms with staying here until about 2014 at which time I will be 62 but that's okay. If I make this move, by the age of 62, I will be drawing an income from the business and expanding it, have settled some financial issues and would be eligible to begin to draw social security and my company pension, both of which I will delay as long as I possibly can. It's a lot better than staying here and wishing and hoping I can go back at 65!

Even though it will be stressful learning to settle on the East coast, I think I will love it there. I will be right on the coast and can look at the Atlantic Ocean and tell myself that England is on the horizon ;)

It's too good an opportunity to pass by - both the business and the move, especially with a very stable businessman for a business advisor who is also a friend. I ought to mention, too, there are no hidden agendas. He is a happily married man - lovely family.

No matter how much I like it in Massachusetts, I will not stay. My goal will always be to go home. The people may be terrific and the scenery wonderful but it doesn't change the fact that it is still the USA. I do not like what this country as become so I won't stay. The UK has always been in my heart.

Well it sounds like a great opportunity and a stepping stone on your eventual move back to the UK....and 2014 isn't that far off at all! Go for it! :thumbup: Good Luck! :) :starsmile:

Celticspirit Jun 10th 2012 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10110656)

Windsong, that all sounds very exciting for you and good luck with your endeavors! I love the Boston and the Massachusetts coast and down to Martha's Vineyard. Very reminiscent of the Co. Antrim coastline...plus you can smell the sea :) Sounds like a great plan.

lf1 Jun 10th 2012 5:53 pm

Windsong,

That sounds like a great opportunity. We started planning our move just over two years ago and we are moving back in August. I can tell you that the time has just flown by and I am sure it will be the same for you as you have so much going on.

The added bonus is that you can do all your decluttering now before you move within the States and when it comes time to move across the pond you'll be all organized ahead of time. Of course, I left mine until the last minute and have been on overdrive for the last six weeks or so. Yesterday, we had a garage sale, so that got rid of a lot of stuff.

Best of luck with your move and your new venture.:)

Mummy in the foothills Jun 10th 2012 6:20 pm

Sounds like a plan Windsong.
We started out with a 3 year plan and each year are closer to the move. Now we are only a year out, probably, and are selling off stuff like crazy.
So having a plan is a good thing, sometimes we deviate from it and sometimes move things up in time, no matter what it makes sure you are heading in the right direction. You are heading east, and that is where the UK is so a step in the right direction no matter what. :fingerscrossed:

feelbritish Jun 10th 2012 7:18 pm

I feel comforted having a plan unfortunately OH does not want to discuss it or think about it for another 3 years! Oh well I plan on my own:sneaky:

sallysimmons Jun 10th 2012 10:51 pm

Good news Windsong. I hope it works out for you :)

Almo Jun 11th 2012 1:40 am

Windsong that all sounds very well planned and thought out, and you sound so happy and positive at this decision. Congratulations.

I have been AWOL for a while, sorting out a few things and freaking out a little! We have booked flights now for December 7. One way for me, return for OH, who, the plan is, will come back to pack up the house, put the cats on a plane etc and generally sort out a few last minute things, while still earning a salary for 5 weeks.

When we first planned to move home the idea was that we would go back together but we need to go back in December, for a friend's wedding, and it seems kind of sensible for me to find a rental etc before the cats here, while OH still brings in a little money (not much, after rental costs etc are deducted, but we're tied to the rental until Feb anyway).

It feels like a lot of people are on the move, sooner or later. Good luck to everyone!

jasper123 Jun 11th 2012 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Almo (Post 10111578)
Windsong that all sounds very well planned and thought out, and you sound so happy and positive at this decision. Congratulations.

I have been AWOL for a while, sorting out a few things and freaking out a little! We have booked flights now for December 7. One way for me, return for OH, who, the plan is, will come back to pack up the house, put the cats on a plane etc and generally sort out a few last minute things, while still earning a salary for 5 weeks.

When we first planned to move home the idea was that we would go back together but we need to go back in December, for a friend's wedding, and it seems kind of sensible for me to find a rental etc before the cats here, while OH still brings in a little money (not much, after rental costs etc are deducted, but we're tied to the rental until Feb anyway).

It feels like a lot of people are on the move, sooner or later. Good luck to everyone!

Yes it does feel like a lot of people are coming home right now, :) I do hope they still post often after they get home.

lf1 Jun 11th 2012 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10112615)
Yes it does feel like a lot of people are coming home right now, :) I do hope they still post often after they get home.

Yes, Rodney, I hope so too. I think it is great that you, beeduby? Sally Simmons, Aries, island woman, curly tops and others still post. I love to hear how people are settling in or not. sorry to those that I have forgotten to mention.

I plan to continue posting after I get back.

jasper123 Jun 11th 2012 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10112677)
Yes, Rodney, I hope so too. I think it is great that you, beeduby? Sally Simmons, Aries, island woman, curly tops and others still post. I love to hear how people are settling in or not. sorry to those that I have forgotten to mention.

I plan to continue posting after I get back.

Yes IF1 it is so important for everyone coming home and also all who have been here for a while to continue posting, then you see all the folk who are in the planning stages or actual moving stages,
all the stories of the people who have already arrived home good and bad stories, are so important for everyone to read, and some of the experiences that people have when home even helps people like me who are already home for 18 months now,
And when we screw up on something whatever it helps others to not make the same mistakes.

ehl250 Jun 12th 2012 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10109759)
So where is that?

Hello cheers - Kelowna is in the southern interior of British Columbia, Canada.
A beautiful valley with a very large lake. Unfortunately, the place has been 'discovered'

curleytops Jun 12th 2012 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ehl250 (Post 10114850)
Hello cheers - Kelowna is in the southern interior of British Columbia, Canada.
A beautiful valley with a very large lake. Unfortunately, the place has been 'discovered'

ehl250 Out of curiosity what's the approx. population of Kelowna these days? I lived there back in 1969 and I think it was about 50,000 then but I hear it has since exploded.

lf1 Jun 12th 2012 3:58 pm

I am listening to Jeremy Vine at the moment. He is in Perthshire, Scotland, so the show is about all things Scottish. Playing the bagpipes etc. Glad I'll be home soon to enjoy the country again. Perthshire is beautiful. Last time I was there it was chilly, but with glorious sunshine, just perfect.:)

ehl250 Jun 13th 2012 10:09 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10114856)
ehl250 Out of curiosity what's the approx. population of Kelowna these days? I lived there back in 1969 and I think it was about 50,000 then but I hear it has since exploded.

Yes, you heard right! According to the 2006 census it was 106,000 Kelowna + 28,ooo on the Westside. It would be more now though.

jemima55 Jun 13th 2012 10:28 am

I feel as if I`m a "quarter back", since its just me at the moment. For anyone who missed the story, my sister died and I came back for her final days and the funeral etc, but its not worth, in money terms, me winging my way back and forth across the Atlantic, plus I HATE FLYING! My husband and son are coming over tomorrow, hubby keeps filling suitcases with stuff and bringing them over to relieve the load on the transatlantic move.
I still havent "tuned in" yet, possibly because I had it all figured in my head how things would be when we came back and its not like that. The Jubilee was a fabulous welcome home, though, and I`ll never forget it.

curleytops Jun 13th 2012 11:41 am

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 10116335)
I feel as if I`m a "quarter back", since its just me at the moment. For anyone who missed the story, my sister died and I came back for her final days and the funeral etc, but its not worth, in money terms, me winging my way back and forth across the Atlantic, plus I HATE FLYING! My husband and son are coming over tomorrow, hubby keeps filling suitcases with stuff and bringing them over to relieve the load on the transatlantic move.
I still havent "tuned in" yet, possibly because I had it all figured in my head how things would be when we came back and its not like that. The Jubilee was a fabulous welcome home, though, and I`ll never forget it.

I understand the "tuned in" thing you're talking about when things don't play out quite the way you'd envisioned Jemima. For me, it was a serious health scare with my husband right around the time I came back followed by him losing his job. Obviously that's not as serious as losing a loved one as you did and I imagine your emotions must be all over the map at the moment. Does it feel to you (as I felt) that actually being back doesn't seem real because circumstances are not as you thought they would be? Glad you were able to enjoy the Jubilee, seeing all of it made me so glad I am British and so glad this is my home with whatever imperfections there might be. I wish your husband and son a safe journey over - enjoy your family reunion!:starsmile:

jemima55 Jun 13th 2012 11:51 am

Absolutely right Curleytops, it just doesnt feel real, as it didnt for you when you had a turbulent return to the UK. I do feel very mixed up too.
How`s things with you now? I almost need to know that people have coped with ghastly situations so I can cope too!

curleytops Jun 14th 2012 11:26 am

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 10116494)
Absolutely right Curleytops, it just doesnt feel real, as it didnt for you when you had a turbulent return to the UK. I do feel very mixed up too.
How`s things with you now? I almost need to know that people have coped with ghastly situations so I can cope too!

We're getting there slowly thanks and you will too! Hubby's working away through the week on contract which is not ideal but you do what you have to right? I would have been quite happy to settle down here in Kent but we will very likely have to move at some point for permanent work. What's tough is not knowing where you're going to be in 3 or 6 months' time, we just want to settle! I quite like where we live but I found myself "detaching" from the place after my husband lost his job so that the there wouldn't be such a pull when we do have to leave. Despite this though I still feel at home here and don't miss Canada at all. Having your husband and son back with you is naturally going to make a world of difference - don't worry, you'll get there!:starsmile:

cheers Jun 14th 2012 1:51 pm

Bea,
I just saw your clip about ordering pizza in Scotland I think it was. It was so funny.
Cheers

jemima55 Jun 14th 2012 3:46 pm

Ok, I`m warming up now. I`ve just had the funkiest colour and cut in five years. Everyone at the salon was friendly and chatty. I also went food shopping in Marks where it all looked so inviting, and, boy does the food taste good here! Yay for being back!

islandwoman120 Jun 14th 2012 6:23 pm

OK, I was busy in the past few weeks :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7630065754511/

jemima55 Jun 14th 2012 7:08 pm

Mmmmnnn, nice photos!

Pombat Jun 14th 2012 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10119413)

Beautiful! Can't wait to get home!!!! 57 days to go :)

cheers Jun 14th 2012 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10119413)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7630065754511/

Looks heavenly. I bet you love it there!

It is very quiet with no people around so is that because of the time of day?

Cheers

islandwoman120 Jun 14th 2012 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10119649)
Looks heavenly. I bet you love it there!

It is very quiet with no people around so is that because of the time of day?

Cheers

I tend not to have people in the photos as I don't want to get releases from people - I am putting them on the internet, a very public place. Places and views and plants only.

feelbritish Jun 14th 2012 11:19 pm

I just had a look at where you are from and it looks like a lovely small seaside town! My OH will only move back in three years time, so I have to be patient, but it does not stop me from researching places to retire to!:)

Celticspirit Jun 14th 2012 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10119712)
I tend not to have people in the photos as I don't want to get releases from people - I am putting them on the internet, a very public place. Places and views and plants only.

Are you happy in your new venue? I have been back to Ireland twice and sadly realized that one cannot live on scenery alone :-(

Celticspirit Jun 14th 2012 11:30 pm

I also remember when you thought Frome was wonderful. I am so afraid to make another mistake and feel isolated.....even with a few family members.
Heading to NYC this weekend to visit my kids :-)

jemima55 Jun 15th 2012 8:24 am

Have a great weekend Celticspirit. I`m seeing my shower this weekend too!

islandwoman120 Jun 15th 2012 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10119861)
I also remember when you thought Frome was wonderful. I am so afraid to make another mistake and feel isolated.....even with a few family members.
Heading to NYC this weekend to visit my kids :-)

Hi Celtic: I like being in Dawlish - quite different feeling to Frome, very open aspect. I lived here 42 years ago, when I was a young bride so it is not unknown territory. I still like Frome as an architectural paradise, but with the anti-social behaviour in that town, there is no way I was willing to live there for much longer. As a result of my 16 months there, I had a long checklist when I came to visit Dawlish, starting with: are there any drunks outside my window! Continuing into dirty streets, dog poo on the streets, drunks, litter, graffiti. Then into daily needs such as: library, grocery store, banks, doctor, dentist, community hospital, bus service, train service. Proximity to larger towns and cities. And I had a check list for the actual housing: size of flat, modern appliances, management, support services, tenant involvement in daily running of place, cleanliness of development, rules and regulations. I also read a Crime Report on Dawlish before moving here, and there is very little crime - a 10th of that in Frome. Only time will tell if this is 'home' but so far it is feeling comfortable. I miss my Frome friends, and some of them are planning overnight visits, starting next week. Now that I have the internet in my own flat, I am once again connected to the wider world. Would I recommend Dawlish as a place to live? All depends on what you are looking for. It could be too low key for some, too touristy for others, fine for some. For me it is safe enough to go out at night, whereas in Frome I never went anywhere unaccompanied after dark - I never felt safe - especially when there was a shooting right outside of my apartment building, and two robberies shortly afterward plus various weekend fights. So far, so good.

cheers Jun 15th 2012 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10120836)
Hi Celtic: I like being in Dawlish - quite different feeling to Frome, very open aspect. I lived here 42 years ago, when I was a young bride so it is not unknown territory. I still like Frome as an architectural paradise, but with the anti-social behaviour in that town, there is no way I was willing to live there for much longer. As a result of my 16 months there, I had a long checklist when I came to visit Dawlish, starting with: are there any drunks outside my window! Continuing into dirty streets, dog poo on the streets, drunks, litter, graffiti. Then into daily needs such as: library, grocery store, banks, doctor, dentist, community hospital, bus service, train service. Proximity to larger towns and cities. And I had a check list for the actual housing: size of flat, modern appliances, management, support services, tenant involvement in daily running of place, cleanliness of development, rules and regulations. I also read a Crime Report on Dawlish before moving here, and there is very little crime - a 10th of that in Frome. Only time will tell if this is 'home' but so far it is feeling comfortable. I miss my Frome friends, and some of them are planning overnight visits, starting next week. Now that I have the internet in my own flat, I am once again connected to the wider world. Would I recommend Dawlish as a place to live? All depends on what you are looking for. It could be too low key for some, too touristy for others, fine for some. For me it is safe enough to go out at night, whereas in Frome I never went anywhere unaccompanied after dark - I never felt safe - especially when there was a shooting right outside of my apartment building, and two robberies shortly afterward plus various weekend fights. So far, so good.

Thank you for checking it out for us!
Sounds ideal for me.
You checked all the right boxes.
Now how soon can I get there???
Cheers

feelbritish Jun 15th 2012 4:09 pm

Yes, sounds great, will have to spend time on google earth walking through it! I like the idea of the train going along the coast, reminds me of a place back in Cape Town where the train also does that, best view and scenery ride for a few pence!

sallysimmons Jun 15th 2012 6:14 pm

Wow, I had no idea Frome was so bad. Very glad that you're happier now Rosie.

We had a fabulous day today - it was a lesson to me that I need to just go with the flow more often. I went to get a haircut this morning and the drive back from Leeds takes me through lovely countryside with just a few farms dotted around. One of them had a sign out for an art exhibition. I almost pulled in to see it but then decided 'no I'm in a hurry.'

But when I got back I did some googling and found the artist's name and website. Turns out he's a farmer by day, artist by night and right now there's an event called North Yorkshire Open Studios, where you can go visit hundreds of local artists in their studios.

His paintings looked so interesting that I was kicking myself that I didn't go in, so I persuaded my husband to come with me and we went back. What a treat! The artist has a gallery in a converted barn and then he works in another part of the barn. His paintings are amazing - a riot of color and texture and movement - so joyous! Just as I was wishing I could buy them all, he walked in. We spent half an hour or so chatting to him about his work, his studio and Yorkshire. He gave us some great recommendations for drives out, pubs, etc. and showed us his work in progress. The whole experience was just a delight from start to finish.

Here's his website: http://www.richardsnowden.co.uk/Snowden/Home.html

I only wish I could afford to spend £350-£900 on a painting.

Next time I see an intriguing sign by the side of the road, I'm pulling in :)

islandwoman120 Jun 15th 2012 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10121340)
Wow, I had no idea Frome was so bad. Very glad that you're happier now Rosie.

We had a fabulous day today - it was a lesson to me that I need to just go with the flow more often. I went to get a haircut this morning and the drive back from Leeds takes me through lovely countryside with just a few farms dotted around. One of them had a sign out for an art exhibition. I almost pulled in to see it but then decided 'no I'm in a hurry.'

But when I got back I did some googling and found the artist's name and website. Turns out he's a farmer by day, artist by night and right now there's an event called North Yorkshire Open Studios, where you can go visit hundreds of local artists in their studios.

His paintings looked so interesting that I was kicking myself that I didn't go in, so I persuaded my husband to come with me and we went back. What a treat! The artist has a gallery in a converted barn and then he works in another part of the barn. His paintings are amazing - a riot of color and texture and movement - so joyous! Just as I was wishing I could buy them all, he walked in. We spent half an hour or so chatting to him about his work, his studio and Yorkshire. He gave us some great recommendations for drives out, pubs, etc. and showed us his work in progress. The whole experience was just a delight from start to finish.

Here's his website: http://www.richardsnowden.co.uk/Snowden/Home.html

I only wish I could afford to spend £350-£900 on a painting.

Next time I see an intriguing sign by the side of the road, I'm pulling in :)

Welcome to England, Sally! You are still in US mode of rush and hurry - it takes a while to allow yourself to slow down and enjoy the moment. May you have many more enjoyable moments in your 'new' county and country! :) I am just now slowing down - almost 2 years back. Devon tends to be slower than Somerset, so soon I will be at a dead halt!

sallysimmons Jun 15th 2012 9:26 pm

So true Rosie. One thing I'm getting used to is how long it takes to say goodbye to someone.

In America, when you say 'right I should be going' at the end of an evening, everyone gets up, says goodbye and sees you off. Here, 'right I should be going' is merely the opening salvo in a long, drawn out series of goodbyes that can take half an hour. And it's not just with friends, even when the plumber came to fix our sink, I noticed that we chatted for at least another 5 minutes after he had said goodbye. Today, we "ended" our conversation with the artist 3 times before we actually left the building.

I suspect it's because people feel a bit uncomfortable just cutting the conversation short - maybe it feels rude to them or something?

mikelincs Jun 15th 2012 10:38 pm

Legally, if you are taking the pictures in a public place, then you do not need a release, otherwise how would all those journalists get permission to publish photographs of people in the streets etc.

islandwoman120 Jun 15th 2012 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10121592)
Legally, if you are taking the pictures in a public place, then you do not need a release, otherwise how would all those journalists get permission to publish photographs of people in the streets etc.

That may be the 'letter of the law' but I am university trained, and one of the rules of etiquette was - no taking photos of people without their permission. In this age of perverts and child molestation etc., there is no telling who, in a public setting, would be in personal danger should their photo be published. So I err on the side of caution: no people, especially children. My interest is in botany, and in architecture, and I have been taking and posting photos of the places I have visited as a matter of courtesy to the BE members who are homesick for the UK. I shall be removing some of those from the Flickr site in due course, as they tend to be of the snapshot variety rather than having artistic merit.

Beedubya Jun 16th 2012 8:17 am

For those of you who may not know or remember, don't forget to visit Karim's page on here, fabulous photo's of our lovely country. :thumbsup:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688910

dontheturner Jun 16th 2012 9:02 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10120944)
Thank you for checking it out for us!
Cheers

Hello Cheers - Nice to chat, so here are the shots I promised - and for under 1K, we were so pleased. Take care Don