British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 3rd 2012 5:43 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10097056)
Thank you soooooo much if1 I just got viewing all 5 parts of that Graham Norton show on you-tube with Shirley Bassey, lovely, I really enjoyed it and watched the whole show, and at the end she sang a song from her then new album (the girl from tiger bay) lovely just lovely it was,
Since Ive been home I always watch his TV show on Friday nights, always good always funny and often has very famous guests that even Ive heard of :thumbsup:
And then the next day Saturday morning I listen to his BBC radio 2 program, and thats always a very entertaining show, he has heaps of talent as a host, a real natural.

We love the Graham Norton Show, its always good no matter who the guests are, some of his guest comedians are brilliant.

Shirley has got better with time, an amazing woman with a lovely voice.

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 3rd 2012 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10096495)
Great list Cheers - the highlighted part - this is the thing about the US that bothers me the most. I despise lobbyists - and you're right - they run this country.

Greedy Scum of the earth is all I can think, it should be illegal.

J.JsOH Jun 3rd 2012 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10097337)
We love the Graham Norton Show, its always good no matter who the guests are, some of his guest comedians are brilliant.

We saw Shirley a few years ago, live in an outdoor concert here in UK, we timed a trip over from US just to see her. She is an amazing artist.

lf1 Jun 4th 2012 1:28 am

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10098384)
We saw Shirley a few years ago, live in an outdoor concert here in UK, we timed a trip over from US just to see her. She is an amazing artist.

Yes, she brilliant. She was one of my mum's favorites and she passed that onto me. I love her, along with Matt Monroe and Jim Reeves...... Such great voices!:)

mikelincs Jun 4th 2012 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10097337)

If you ever get the chance. go see her live in concert, I did and it was absolutely fabulous, she di at least 2.5 hours, several dress changes but all took little time, and all the favourite songs. She also accepted loads of flowers from people in the audience (it was an outdoor concert) and there was an area for people to go to the front to take phgotographs, by the time she had finished there was a huge pile of bouquets on stage.

Editha Jun 4th 2012 10:53 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10092818)
I found golliwog dolls for sale locally - thought they were outlawed. Guess not. These come from China. For those of us from the USA, this is regarded as a racist emblem. Found them for sale on the Internet when I did a worldwide search. What next?

Also a little restaurant named Geronimos. I did ask them why the name and the owner said she had a relative married to a Native American, and they revered Geronimo and it was done in his honour. There are lots of (probably Chinese made because they are inexpensively priced) Native-American-appearing objects for sale, and the owner says she likes to look at nice items on the walls. Seems above board, just an odd (strange) location for this all.

I think they are usually called "gollies" nowadays, because the full name is more likely to cause offence.

In my experience, the golly is a very British toy, and most Americans don't recognise it as a black stereotype. One friend started collecting Robertson's badges while he was studying in the UK, and when I pointed out that they were representations of black people, he told me he'd thought they were supposed to be blackcurrants, which was not an unreasonable assumption, since they were advertising jam.

dontheturner Jun 4th 2012 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10095781)
If you want to see photos of Don and Rodney go to the posts on October 12th 2011.

I needed to refresh my memory of the two handsome gents.

Cheers

Thank you Cheers! Yes - still here, and loving it - just got my Cataract on the right eye done, so wearing shades for a while. Love to you all. Don

aliblu4191 Jun 4th 2012 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10095803)
Does anyone remember going for walks out in the country and having to use stiles to cross fences to get into fields. Well I love stiles and field gates and I found this site with lots of pictures of stiles.

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/uks...l/interesting/

I hope some of you enjoy looking at the pictures.

Cheers

What great pics. I was back home last October visiting my Brother and Sister in law. We took many walks and encountered lots of stiles. It was still the same as when I was a kid.

dunroving Jun 4th 2012 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10093019)
islandwoman, you just reminded me of this hilarious clip from Extras

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2pniymmkpg

I just watched that episode on the flight back to Glasgow - 30 minutes of guilty, cringe-worthy comedy, classic Ricky Gervais.

jasper123 Jun 5th 2012 12:06 am

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10098384)

I saw Shirley in Las Vegas once only, I think it was the first year I moved there from Reno, was about 16 years ago, she was only there for one night but all her thousands of tickets sold out within hours after going on sale, and I was one of the first ones at the ticket counter, she was fabulous, and got three standing ovations,
Those were the days where you could still barely just about afford to see a Vegas headliner show, these days people pay $500 a ticket to see a dead beat like Elton John, can you imagine :thumbdown:

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 5th 2012 3:02 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10100203)
I saw Shirley in Las Vegas once only, I think it was the first year I moved there from Reno, was about 16 years ago, she was only there for one night but all her thousands of tickets sold out within hours after going on sale, and I was one of the first ones at the ticket counter, she was fabulous, and got three standing ovations,
Those were the days where you could still barely just about afford to see a Vegas headliner show, these days people pay $500 a ticket to see a dead beat like Elton John, can you imagine :thumbdown:

Dead Beat??? C-mon Rodney plenty of people like Elton, me included, he really is one I would like to see, I wouldn't pay $500 to see him or anyone else for that matter.

DaveandLinda Jun 5th 2012 3:07 am

Hi all
Just discovered this thread after searching through the forum. We are currently in Australia on a Contributory Parent Visa, which cost quite a lot of money. We came over to join our son.The original plan for all the family to come over here and be in Brisbane where I have a sister.

However, heL got offered a job in Perth and so the family settled there. Due to unforeseen circumstances our daughter is still in the UK and decided not to emigrate for the time being. We wanted to retire here, but are having to work to help the finances as Perth is very expensive. We are having trouble settling here in Perth as we find it a bit bland, with lack of character etc. and have found it difficult to meet like minded people of our own age. We also miss our daughter in the UK. We are not sure whether we can afford to stay here once we are no longer working, but feel that we have invested quite a lot of money.

We are thinking about staying to get citizenship, so we can stay here if daughter does emigrate later, and then spending maybe six months here and six months in the UK. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and what the implications are? If we were not Oz citizens what would be the health implications for us in Oz or in the UK?

I have heard that you have to wait six months on your return to the UK before accessing the National Health. Does anyone know if this is true?

Another consideration would be to move to Brisbane, at least we would be nearer our family here, but doesn't solve the problem of missing family in the UK.

Third option, retire to Bali?

We feel guilty and torn between out 2 kids at the moment, my wife helps out with the grandchildren.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 5th 2012 3:12 am

Dave n Linda...

I have heard that you have to wait six months on your return to the UK before accessing the National Health. Does anyone know if this is true?

I dont think that is true as some on the 50s-60s thread have moved back after years and got instant HNS care.

Wish I could help more, but its out of my area, I'm sure others will help either here or on the Moving back 50-60s thread, if not may I suggest you pose these questions on the main page.

mikelincs Jun 5th 2012 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10100382)
Dave n Linda...

I dont think that is true as some on the 50s-60s thread have moved back after years and got instant HNS care.

As a UK citizen, you would get full NHS cover from day 1, all you need to do is to p[rove you have an address in the UK, usually a utility bill in your name, or a rental agreement.

sallysimmons Jun 5th 2012 8:35 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10100586)
As a UK citizen, you would get full NHS cover from day 1, all you need to do is to p[rove you have an address in the UK, usually a utility bill in your name, or a rental agreement.

I didn't even have to do that to register. Just told them my address and they said 'yes, this is the right practice, here are the forms.' I think it varies depending on where you are and who you get on reception the day you walk in.

mikelincs Jun 5th 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10100655)
I didn't even have to do that to register. Just told them my address and they said 'yes, this is the right practice, here are the forms.' I think it varies depending on where you are and who you get on reception the day you walk in.

we may not have had to take the info in, but we had it with us. In fact I found out that I was stll on their list.. after 4 years away, they had deleted my wife but not me.

dunroving Jun 5th 2012 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10100586)

I'm not sure what the rules are if you plan to spend on/off, 6 months in the UK, 6 months in Australia - this may not count as ordinarily resident in the UK. However, in practice, I think most surgeries would not bother.

DaveandLinda Jun 6th 2012 4:06 am

Thanks a lot for your replies. Something to think about.

curleytops Jun 6th 2012 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10100373)
Dead Beat??? C-mon Rodney plenty of people like Elton, me included, he really is one I would like to see, I wouldn't pay $500 to see him or anyone else for that matter.

I think our tickets ran us about $150 CAD each back in 2005 (seats were excellent), he put on an amazing performance then but unfortunately I think time is creeping up on him too and the in last few live performances I've seen on TV I think his voice is starting to go. That being said, IMO Elton John has had a superb career and written some beautiful songs & I'll always be glad I got the chance to see him live.

lf1 Jun 6th 2012 4:55 pm

Re the Jubilee Concert, did you see Geoffrey Gurrumul with the childrens choir. I was hoping he would do a solo as his music is lovely. Have a listen. This song sends shiver up my spine as it is so beautiful.

If my link doesn't work look up Gurrumul on You Tube. The song is called Wiyathul.:)

http://youtu.be/x8-YMpYbRqY

Speaking of choirs. Once, when I was travelling back to Canada from Heathrow, I was in the departure lounge. Out of the blue a male choir stood up and started to sing in amongst all the passengers and the shops. It was a wonderful experience. Of course, they got a huge round of applause.

lf1 Jun 6th 2012 4:59 pm

Rodney,

I see Sally has given you a few artists to checkout. Here is a new artist that I love. Her name is Caro Emerald and her music sounds as though it is from another era. This song just makes me want to dance.

http://youtu.be/74LXx0wSqMI

If the link doesn't work look up Caro Emerald, A Night Like This, on You Tube.

I can see you dancing around the kitchen to this.:)

jasper123 Jun 6th 2012 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10103940)
Rodney,

I see Sally has given you a few artists to checkout. Here is a new artist that I love. Her name is Caro Emerald and her music sounds as though it is from another era. This song just makes me want to dance.

http://youtu.be/74LXx0wSqMI

If the link doesn't work look up Caro Emerald, A Night Like This, on You Tube.

I can see you dancing around the kitchen to this.:)

If1 well thank you very much, your right I absolutely love it :) I wasn't dancing around the kitchen only though cause it was a little late and its time for me to hit the sack, its 12.30 am this song is like a nice refreshing Birthday present for me as its officially my big day today 7th June Im 67 today,
I will have to listen to Sally's songs tomorrow as Im too tired now, thanks Sally!!!!
Rodney.

lf1 Jun 7th 2012 1:44 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10104680)
If1 well thank you very much, your right I absolutely love it :) I wasn't dancing around the kitchen only though cause it was a little late and its time for me to hit the sack, its 12.30 am this song is like a nice refreshing Birthday present for me as its officially my big day today 7th June Im 67 today,
I will have to listen to Sally's songs tomorrow as Im too tired now, thanks Sally!!!!
Rodney.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RODNEY!!!!!!!! I hope when read this you have been boogeying around the table to Caro! Have a wonderful day!!!!:D

Mummy in the foothills Jun 7th 2012 2:39 am

Rodney.

Happy Birthday to you....... :thumbsup:

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 8th 2012 7:55 am

Sorry I missed your Birthday Rod, Wow times flies, I remember when you hit 65... Lets hope this is another good year for you...

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 8th 2012 7:56 am

The Queen Meets Paul McCartney - DIAMOND JUBILEE CONCERT - YouTube

For those with a sense of humour Copy and paste the above, hopefully you will see a guy that made me laugh...

dontheturner Jun 8th 2012 7:59 am

Rodney.

Hi Rod! Sorry I too missed the Big Day! Have a great 2012. Don

sallysimmons Jun 8th 2012 8:56 am

I am so thrilled with England right now. Not the jubilee or the football or the Olympics, but the vets here. My cat was ill with hyperthyroid disease when we brought him home. the vet in the US didn't catch it and we didn't know about it until we got back and he started throwing up.

He is my little buddy and has been for 14 years. I was so worried about him.

Long story short, we took him to the vet here, they discussed all the options with us, and we decided on surgery. He had to be hospitalized for 2 weeks prior to surgery to stabilize his thyroid levels - the whole thing (hospitalization, surgery, meds etc) cost less than half what we would have paid in the US. And the results couldn't be better - he is happy again and gaining weight. We just took him in for a check-up and they said they're thrilled with his progress.

Long live the Queen! :lol:

jemima55 Jun 8th 2012 9:16 am

I love you Sally, you`re so positive!

jasper123 Jun 8th 2012 10:18 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10107334)
I am so thrilled with England right now. Not the jubilee or the football or the Olympics, but the vets here. My cat was ill with hyperthyroid disease when we brought him home. the vet in the US didn't catch it and we didn't know about it until we got back and he started throwing up.

Long story short, we took him to the vet here, they discussed all the options with us, and we decided on surgery. He had to be hospitalized for 2 weeks prior to surgery to stabilize his thyroid levels - the whole thing (hospitalization, surgery, meds etc) cost less than half what we would have paid in the US. And the results couldn't be better - he is happy again and gaining weight. We just took him in for a check-up and they said they're thrilled with his progress.

Sally thats fantastic news, really good to hear of yet another one of the good things about living in England,
I want to join you in saying Im also thrilled with England, and I love this country, -------------- and anyone out there that are worried about the culture shock that they may experience over hear, ------ DONT, cause speaking for myself I blended in so well, and experienced no culture shock at all,
and I bet not too many of us do.
Take care,
Rodney.

jasper123 Jun 8th 2012 10:21 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10107260)
Hi Rod! Sorry I too missed the Big Day! Have a great 2012. Don

Thanks Don and Fish And MITF and everyone else and IFI for the Birthday wishes :)

Celticspirit Jun 8th 2012 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10107455)
Thanks Don and Fish And MITF and everyone else and IFI for the Birthday wishes :)

Oooops.....happy belated birthday Rodney!

cheers Jun 9th 2012 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by ehl250 (Post 9940037)
No, first am going to Kelowna, to my daughter's, for a rest!

So where is that?

shelley748 Jun 10th 2012 12:12 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10107334)

Good news then Sally- glad to hear it!!

cheers Jun 10th 2012 12:18 am

Rod, I'm back home now and on the computer so I hope you had a nice birthday with all the birthday party hats and jelly and cakes.

Cheers mate

windsong Jun 10th 2012 12:07 pm

[QUOTE=Fish n Chips 56;10092986]

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10092818)
I found golliwog dolls for sale locally - thought they were outlawed. Guess not. These come from China. For those of us from the USA, this is regarded as a racist emblem. Found them for sale on the Internet when I did a worldwide search. What next?

Rosie...

I would try not to let this golliwog issue bother you, it may be seen as Rasict in America, from my memory its was never seen that way in the UK and there was certainly no Hate attached to it at least in my mind...

Absolutely, it's nothing to do with color. It's just a black doll! I'm sure that that sort of bias comes from America! I had lots of golliwogs when I was kid. I loved them. I could have cared less if they were black, white, pink or purple - or even rainbow colors. Same as when i was at university. I didn't care what colors or stripes my friends came in, nor the lecturers. We had people from all over the world and it simply didn't matter!

windsong Jun 10th 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10095622)
WOW I did not know that, thanks Englishmum, I will not miss that!!!!
Tonight on BBC 1 they had a special program where Prince Charles was showing very old and some new family film clips of his early days starting when he was 4 and Ann I think 6 and lots of clips of there mother and father when they were young, there were even clips of the Queens Father before he died and also of Charles big day when the Queen officially made him Prince of wales,
As I was watching these clips of the young Queen and young Duke of Edinburgh just playing with there kids just like normal folk, I was amazed at the wonderful feeling of pride I had just being born British, I never ever thought I felt that way, but I do ----- and it feels really good.

I watched it in the USA, Rodney, and I felt that pride, too. Of course, it massively increased the desperate longing to be back in my own country, too!

windsong Jun 10th 2012 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9999908)
I went, I saw, I liked the place and the setting. It suits me, and I can afford it, so no need to get into any more about this place. Thanks for the input from all who advised me.:)

How old do you have to be before you can go into one of these places? Are they different from USA assisted living facilities?

Only problem I have with them is that you can't replace your pets once their gone. I could never live without a pet.

windsong Jun 10th 2012 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10095781)
If you want to see photos of Don and Rodney go to the posts on October 12th 2011.

I needed to refresh my memory of the two handsome gents.

Cheers

Got to find those posts!!!

windsong Jun 10th 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9670894)
Can we lift the Tone, from this depressing news?

Rod and I have enjoyed a very happy three days, in each others company.

Photos here, for all those interested!
( Just click to enlarge them!)

Don

You all look AMAZINGLY healthy and well !!!!